Galveston help?

sassy~one

Hello there.

What is the best way to get from Galveston to the Cruise port? Disney cruise line.

Should we go a day before? What is a good place to stay?

About how far is the airport to cruise port.

thanks

Coming the day before depends on where you're coming from and likelihood of flight delays and/or later flights you could take on the same day. For example, if you're flying in on a early flight from Dallas or somewhere with many short flights per day, you have the flexibility to be a little late or miss a flight and catch a later one. If you're flying in from somewhere with only one flight a day, I'd consider arriving the day before.

Travel time from the airport depends on whether you're arriving in Hobby (about 45 min) or Intercontinental (about 1.5 hours). If on a weekday, rush hour traffic can double or triple the travel time.

• 1 month later...

If you are flying in for a cruise you should always stay the night before.

I prefer the clear lake/Kemah area to stay. The island does however offer a good amount of shuttles to the terminal.

The hardest thing to deal with I this area is transportation. Consider a car rental if you want to sight see.

I live in the area so ask away if you need anything.

Thx teddy

• 6 months later...

How do I get to the Port of Galveston?

Texas Cruise Ship Terminal on Galveston Island

Pier #25

2502 Harborside Drive

Galveston, Texas 77550

Travel Time:

42 miles from Houston Hobby International Airport; travel time is approximately 60 minutes.

70 miles from Houston Intercontinental Airport; travel time is approximately 90 minutes

Directions to the Port:

I-45 South

Take Exit 1C - Harborside Drive (Highway 275)

Turn left (East) onto Harborside Drive

Continue approximately 4.7 miles to Kempner/22nd Street

Turn left onto Kempner/22nd Street

Proceed to Cruise Terminal - Pier #25

Port Parking: (Rates subject to change by Port Authority)

4-day cruise: $45.00 USD

5-day cruise: $50.00 USD

7-day cruise: $70.00 USD

Port of Galveston Parking Lots A & B

Guarded and lighted; 24 hour surveillance and police patrol.

Accepted forms of payment: U.S dollars; VISA and MasterCard.

Pre-payments may be made by visiting http://www.portofgalveston.com

No advance reservations required.

Handicap Parking available with proof of valid permit.

Vehicles occupying two or more spaces will be charged double the rate.

Embarkation:

Luggage must be unloaded at the cruise terminal curbside prior to parking; the shuttles do not handle luggage during embarkation.

Debarkation:

Option 1 - Return directly to Parking Lots A and B to retrieve car without luggage and then pick up the guests and luggage at the terminal curbside.

Option 2 - Depart the terminal on luggage-capable shuttles; there will be a short to moderate wait time.

Airport Parking: Carnival Cruise Lines guests are invited to enjoy discounted off-airport parking rates throughout the Park’ N Fly Network offering service from over 65 airports nationwide. Click here to book via authorized site to obtain discount parking. Please be sure to read terms and conditions in the Park’ N Fly site.

Would encourage you to look back through some of the posts about getting to Galveston from Houston airports. Unless you are coming a short trip into Houston and will arrive early in the morning of the cruise, come a day ahead. The trip to Galveston takes some time and about $100 or so for a transport. I just read where someone paid $100 for a taxi plus tip from the Houston pier to the airport. Personally I liked staying in Galveston. Would direct you to www.tripadvisor.com for ideas and costs on where to stay. There is lots to do in Galveston. Remember the beach is not Florida or Southern CA. Our next trip we are thinking of renting a car and leaving it at the hotel where there is free parking.

Enjoy your trip!