Accessible suites Freedom of the Seas

We have been on FOS many times, however my dad has now expressed an interest in coming with us. He has limited mobility (we would rent a scooter or transfer chair) and would need an accessible room for the bathroom.

Are there any accessible suites? (I would love to be able to have CL lounge and the suite perks for him). We generally stay in a GS, but there is no way that he could get in/out of that bathtub (I need a ladder to do it myself :p).

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

There are 2 accessible JS, but I don't think those get you suite privileges. I think the higher suites are accessible in many ways though. Depending on what his accessibility needs are (higher toilet seat, no steps, walker or wheelchair, you can probably make one of the higher suites work. I'd suggest calling the accessibility department: Access Department at (866) 592-7225. They can tell you what each of the higher suites is like and whether they can have something in the room such as a raised toilet seat to make the higher suite work for you.

There are 2 accessible JS, but I don't think those get you suite privileges. I think the higher suites are accessible in many ways though. Depending on what his accessibility needs are (higher toilet seat, no steps, walker or wheelchair, you can probably make one of the higher suites work. I'd suggest calling the accessibility department: Access Department at (866) 592-7225. They can tell you what each of the higher suites is like and whether they can have something in the room such as a raised toilet seat to make the higher suite work for you.

Non accessible cabins have a 6"-8" step up into the bathroom and also have a 4"-6" lip into the shower both of which could be problematic for the OP's father due to limited mobility. Also if the OP's father is using any mobility device such as a walker or rollator it will not fit through the doorway to bathroom of a standard cabin nor is there even enough room to use a such a mobility device in a non accessible bathroom.

Non accessible cabins have a 6"-8" step up into the bathroom and also have a 4"-6" lip into the shower both of which could be problematic for the OP's father due to limited mobility. Also if the OP's father is using any mobility device such as a walker or rollator it will not fit through the doorway to bathroom of a standard cabin nor is there even enough room to use a such a mobility device in a non accessible bathroom.

According to some people who have had or gone to the higher suites, there chairs did fit through the doors. Thus the need to call and ask. As for the bathroom step at the door or shower, it does depend on what the OP's father can handle. My mom needs an accessible bathroom as well, but her only need for it is the higher toilet seat and something to hold onto to get up. She can do the small lips steps just fine. Thus it depends on the exact needs of the OP's father.

My DH has mobility problems so we now try to get accessible, but with last minute booking (can't resist the deals) we have used regular cabins with pretty good success. We've never not been able to get the scooter through the doorway. There have been some tight squeezes, but the scooter always made it. (My DH uses a full size scooter, a Pride Celebrity.) The showers are easy - almost no step in. The ship can add an adapter to any toilet to make the seat higher. It was a bit weird for me (non-disabled) but my DH liked it. On one sailing, we were told before leaving that they could put in grab bars in the bathroom, but, once on ship, that turned out to be wrong.

We own his scooter but rented one scooter for our med cruise in October on the Silhouette because I didn't want to worry about getting the scooter to and from the airport and we were very happy with the service. The scooter was waiting in our room and you leave it on the ship when you disembark.

We have not tried the suites - so can't help with those. But, there is a disability cruising forum here on CC. Check it out and they may know the answers.

Good luck!

Archived