Dining price increases on Sun

chelle74

I suspect that punkincc might be right, probably 50% or less actually eat in the specialties, maybe close to 50%. Of the ones that do, they might try one, maybe two, but that's it. The thing that is important is that you have the choice whether to pay extra or not. For some (like me), dining is one of the main reasons for cruising, and they don't mind paying extra for fine dining every night. For others, dining is not that big of a deal, as long as the food tastes good, they are happy to stick with the main dining rooms, cafe, and buffet and prefer to spend their money elsewhere. This is where NCL takes a big hit (all in perception, not in reality); just because they offer the choice doesn't mean the main dining room food is "bad", it simply means you can choose to pay for food for a more refined palate if you wish to.

From what I hear, no inexpensive mainstream cruise line offers "fine food" in the main dining room anymore. The "free" food seems to get better as the cruise fare rises. Maybe a new Celebrity ship has better "free" food than say, the NCL Sun, but for the exact same price, you can sail on the Sun AND eat at specialties every night for the same (or better) dining experience. You can sail on Azmara, or for the same price sail in a Haven Suite on the Pearl, both upscale experiences, etc. Your personal budget determines your cruising experience, no matter what line. You can't have a Seabourn cruise on a Carniva budget, but at least on NCL you can tailor your vacation to suit your needs, starting at a budget price.

Robin

Very well put, and I agree completely.

I'd like to add that skittl1321 is concerned about the quality of food because of the decline they've experienced on Carnival. In my personal experience, the food in the MDRs on NCL has actually improved significantly over the course of the past 14 months. Last February (2012) the food was what I would call "just okay." In October on the Star we felt it had improved a bit, but passed that off to the skills of the chefs onboard. Then this March we sailed the Jewel again and noticed even further improvement.

Although we dine at LeBistro at least once per cruise, and Moderno at least once, we do that because we thoroughly enjoy the food and the atmosphere, NOT because we feel the food in the MDR is of less-that-acceptable quality.

I wish NCL's cruise fares would reflect more that most likely you'll be paying an upcharge for dinner. I know the main dining room is an option, but I really haven't read too many reviews that speak highly of it on any ship. So much of the experience seems to be the alternate dining. It makes it really hard to 'pull the trigger' on an NCL cruise, not knowing what the cost is going to be.

$20 doesn't sound like much, but then when you think PP, and more than once in the week, it really adds up.

I don't. We rarely go to the speciality restaurants (once on each of our NCL cruises). We are happy with the MDR, Blue Lagoon/O'Sheehans, and Buffet. I would hate to have my cruise fare reflect upcharges to restaurants I have no need to go to. This is one of the reasons we like NCL and freestyle.

Hmmmm.........I've yet to go hungry on NCL. In fact in the MDR they have many options available with a static menu and then one that changes nightly. My past 11 day cruise I ate at the MDR, buffet, and a few specialties. I think my favorite place to eat was the sports bar, I have a bad addiction to fries and wings at 1am after a night of gambling.

Don't base your decision to cruise NCL on food opinions. Thats like refusing to by a car because someone else says they don't like the colors they use, it's their opinion. Tastes vary and some people are picky and others are not. You decide.

With that said, I wish they would bring back the tex mex restaurant. Best $10 ever for a specialty restaurant.

I think some of it is about managing expectations. My next scheduled cruise (we'd like to fit one in before then) is on Celebrity, but this particular ship we've heard the food is NOT very good. We aren't going for food.

I think with this knowledge that most people DON'T go to speciality restaraunts, it will be easier to look at NCL, planning for maybe 1 time. Since the fare is as high, if not higher than comprable Carnival cruises, I don't also want to be looking to pay extra for dinner. Though I am a little worried about NCL's desserts- because Carnival's are awful in my opinion and I hear over and over that NCL's are even worse. How do the cruise lines mess up dessert so badly?

And again, I've never suggested NCL should raise their fare and include speciality restaraunts in the base price. Merely that if it is normal (which I am being told it isn't) to regularly eat outside the MDR, then I would expect the fare to be lower than a line that expects its passengers to always eat in the MDR. (Which I think is becoming less common in general- both RCCL and CCL are adding more fee based restaurants on their new ships.) Perhaps I should have worded my original statement differently. At least NCL's specialty dining is less expensive than Celebrity, they are getting out of control.

I never feel that I MUST eat at a specialty restaurant in order have good food. If you never set foot in a specialty restaurant, you will still have all the good food of various types than you can possibly ever eat during the cruise. However, if you wish to try a specialty restaurant just to see something different, then if you did so two nights on a seven night cruise, at the most expensive ($30 pp), your total additional dining expense would be just $120, and that's strictly optional as to whether you want to do that or not. So, I don't see the problem in trying to figure out the price of the cruise. Specialty restaurants are not a "must do" event in order to have a fine cruise and have good food available. Eat in one or don't eat in one, but don't make worrying over it such a large consideration when considering the total cruise value. My opinion.

I had the same thought. In watching the numbers of folks in the "extra cost" dining each day, I've got to believe that at least 80% or more of the guests on board eat in the free dining venues. It is certainly a small number of guests that utilize the pay dining options every day.

Yes...on all ships.

The price increase in the Italian restaurants took place earlier this year in conjunction with a menu change, but I believe the OP is mistaken about the amount...the price was increased from $10 to $15.

Cagney's is also increasing from $25 to $30, effective with a menu revision that is being rolled out.

No, it is absolutely $20. I will post a pic of the menu upon my return.

And the chef's table is listed as $89, not $75. I interpret that as $89 plus gratuity, but I will find out and let you know when I return home.

In Aruba now, enjoying the trip very much. Ate at Le Bistro and it was wonderful. Will post more after the 21st!

Archived