Best Beach Shopping area

sbnuggie

Howdy,

Coming in off of the Dream. Will be with a big group, some want to shop and some want a beach. Aside from Mahogany Bay, is there an area on the island where there is shopping within safe walking distance of some fabulous beaches/snorkeling.

West End would suit your needs. Half Moon Bay beach is right there. The snorkeling is not fabulous but better than you might fine in many places about the world.

If the snorkelers get bored in Half Moon Bay they can either hire a boat to get out to less used places of the reef or take a water taxi to West Bay.

But as Guest2000 can tell you, there's not "fabulous" shopping in Roatan. Mostly the standard fare cruise oriented shops in either Mahoganey Bay or Coxen Hole(same or similar stuff at both). There are smaller shops, with typically higher prices, along the beach area of West End. And there are stores in Coxen Hole proper with some locally produced items--wood carvings, coffee, cigars. But none of these are what your shoppers would consider to be even "good" shopping. Nothing high end or like some Eastern Caribbean ports like St Thomas or St Maartin, or even like downtown Cozumel.

Thanks both for your replies, the information helps. I know the older ladies in our group like to shop, so the ability to look at local crafts and wares is what they are looking for, of course me and my 3 kids last about 5 maybe 6 minutes shopping then we start complaining about being bored (i'm usually the loudest), so I figured if we found a beach the ladies can walk off and shop at thier own pace while we enjoy the warm sand and water.

MB I guess really does have what we are looking for and probably why they built it the way they did but I'd like to get away from the crowd if possible. Wife and I have been to Roatan before so we know the beauty of the island, but we are travelling with a group of 16 so trying to find the right balance for everyone is tough. And with my family/group of 6 alone, excursions get pricey fast........ Again thanks for the information.

Archived