Reasonable OSJ hotel for one night post cruise

ddy123

Hi everyone. I am trying to come up with a reasonable hotel in OSJ for a Sunday night stay post cruise. I am trying to be prepared for needing to stay an extra night in order to secure reasonable airfare back to the Northeast during February School Break 2014. I've heard Sunday flights are very expensive but Monday tends to be better priced.

It is me, DH and our two DDs so we need a room that will fit four. Looked at Sheraton OSJ and it is really pricey. We'd like to be in the center of OSJ so that we can tour for the day and then head out to the airport likely very early on Monday morning. Thought it be better to be in OSJ rather than stay near airport and taxi it back and forth (to drop luggage and then head back for the day in OSJ) but if others advise against that please let me know.

Thanks for any advice!

We stayed at the Sheraton in OSJ post cruise one night and we got a $99 special since it would normally be a low capacity night for them.

Other places that we have stayed in OSJ and liked them well enough (both under $150 pre-cruise so I would imagine they'd be cheaper on a Sunday as well) were Hotel Casablanca and the Hotel Plaza De Armas. Both of those are 3 or 4 blocks inland from the waterfront. Both are clean and quirky (this is a PLUS in my book).

Finding a hotel in San Juan that can accommodate 4 people can be difficult. I had a devil of a time finding a room for 3 people. We ended up paying rack rate for the Quality Inn in El Porto for $135 per night 2 years ago. It wasn't great but it worked.

You are going to have to run the numbers -- room & food costs vs. airfare.

I'd try hotels.com I guessed at your dates & ran the search. A few properties including known brand chains popped up for under $200 per night. Again, the issue is 4 people in a room; some of the hotels only offer smaller rooms that can only fit 2.

Hi everyone. I am trying to come up with a reasonable hotel in OSJ for a Sunday night stay post cruise. I am trying to be prepared for needing to stay an extra night in order to secure reasonable airfare back to the Northeast during February School Break 2014. I've heard Sunday flights are very expensive but Monday tends to be better priced.

It is me, DH and our two DDs so we need a room that will fit four. Looked at Sheraton OSJ and it is really pricey. We'd like to be in the center of OSJ so that we can tour for the day and then head out to the airport likely very early on Monday morning. Thought it be better to be in OSJ rather than stay near airport and taxi it back and forth (to drop luggage and then head back for the day in OSJ) but if others advise against that please let me know.

Thanks for any advice!

We were in Old San Juan on a recent cruise and fell in love with it. Not sure if Pop Art Hotel would suit your taste but it's reasonable. We are booked at Da House for two nights after our cruise. Casablanca Hotel is reasonable also.

They are in the heart of Old San Juan. Just a short walk to the cruise port. Very simple but where you want to be.

We were in Old San Juan on a recent cruise and fell in love with it. Not sure if Pop Art Hotel would suit your taste but it's reasonable. We are booked at Da House for two nights after our cruise. Casablanca Hotel is reasonable also.

They are in the heart of Old San Juan. Just a short walk to the cruise port. Very simple but where you want to be.

Warning: Da House does not have any elevators. If you have alot of luggage, you may be struggling.

Warning: Da House does not have any elevators. If you have alot of luggage, you may be struggling.

Yes I know!! We always book the second floor and only have one suitcase. That could be a struggle for some for sure. It's not the quietest spot either but we enjoy it.

Yes I know!! We always book the second floor and only have one suitcase. That could be a struggle for some for sure. It's not the quietest spot either but we enjoy it.

Hotel Casablanca is the same way. No elevators and across the street from THE club of the area where the locals don't start partying until about midnight! I LOVED it though! Very clean and with enough "quirkiness" to be interesting in my book. (they have bathtubs on the roof!)

TIP: If you really want to sleep, don't book the balcony rooms overlooking the street. :D BUT if you're a night owl and like to people watch....it's perfect!

• 3 weeks later...
Casablanca Hotel is reasonable also.

OSJ is a short walk to where cruise ships stop for the day, NOT to where the ones sailing from SJU dock.

OSJ is a short walk to where cruise ships stop for the day, NOT to where the ones sailing from SJU dock.

Although most ships sail from the PanAm pier, Carnival DOES sail from the OSJ terminal.

We stayed at the hotel Casablanca on south Fortaleza street in OSJ 3 years ago and it was perfect. just a couple of blocks from the port. Very reasonably priced and the staff were awesome! I highly recommend. :)

We have just returned from a trip that included a night in San Juan. We stayed at a youth hostel called Posada San Francisco in Old San Juan. This was our first hostel experience and we were pleasantly surprised. It was clean, centrally located, safe, and the staff was very friendly. A room with a queen size bed was $60 - a far cry from what most of the hotels wanted. While the room did not have a private bathroom there were 5 guest rooms and 3 bathrooms on the floor we stayed on so it was never a problem. Check out time was long before our cruise was scheduled to leave but the hostel held our bags in a locked area until we were ready to retrieve them (no charge). When we left to get on the ship, it was so close to the cruise pier that we actually walked the few blocks with all of our luggage. We would stay here again without hesitation.

Archived