Rostok or Berlin.

MarGG

We just returned from our cruise and we had decided we did not want to go to Berlin and we are happy with that choice. Instead we got a train to Rostock and then got another train to Sherwin to see the Castle. What a lovely town, enjoyed the Castle and walking around the town which is on two little lakes. Then we took the train back to Rostock and then switched trains back to Warnemunde. I also like Warnemunde - has a great little canal with many shops and restaurants, we also walked over to the beach and put our toe's in the cold Baltic. Walked up the light house for a good view. Finished the nite with some wine at an outside cafe on the little canal.........while some guy's where singing out on the little bridge. You can buy an all day train pass that is good from 9 - 9 for one price. I found some info about that on line in Cruise Critic - worked perfectly

• 1 month later...

We took a shorter train ride to Schwerin Castle which turned out to be one of the most beautiful buildings/castles I have ever seen. Like beauty and the beast in real life!

If you do this, you will also be taking a train ride, so you will need to check times and coordinate it.

On the way back, we spent some time in Rostock/Warnemunde and hung out at one of restaurants and had a glass of wine and beer and watched the sun set. Very relaxing and beautiful day. I don't think I would have done it differently.

I heard those who went to Berlin had a great time as well. Most recommend taking a Berlin tour with the cruise ship so that you don't miss the ship!

Hi, thank you for your appreciation. Yes, it is best to do Rostock first and finish in Warnemünde.

I was not really stressing the tourist offices, just letting you know where they are. Both have English speaking staff and information as to what to see and do.

The only place to change money is at the Reisebank on the railway station in Warnemünde before you go to Rostock.

The beauty of Rostock is in its architechture so just walking through the centre is great. Must sees:-

The Astronomical Clock in St Mary's church just off the Market Place. Built in 1472 it is the only one of its kind still working on the original mechanism. It is around the back of the altar. There are information sheets in English just inside the entrance to the church.

The Kröpeliner Tor, the brick tower at the end of the pedestrian shopping street. One of the four remaining City Gates it is the only one with public access. From there walk around the well preserved section of the city walls to the Convent of the Holy Cross, now the Rostock Museum of Cultural History, to see some beautifully restored medieval buildings.

University Square with the Fountain of the Zest for Life. A place to see buildings from several different eras and then sit with a coffee and people watch.

Kröpeliner Strasse leading from Uni Square to the Market place. Restored after WWll it looks much the same as it did several hundred years ago.

Hope you enjoy your day :)

Anni

Thank you Anni for one more wonderful answer (and sorry it took me so long to say thank you). I am now summarizing my future (nearest future!) cruise and with your help I do feel I am completely ready for Rostock. Your descriptions are wonderful! Thank you once more!

We have taken the train to Berlin on a HAL shorex and had a wonderful, if tiring, day. Five years later we opted to visit Rostock on a HAL tour from Warnemunde instead. We liked the town square and the boat ride back to the ship, but otherwise it didn't leave much of an impression. Next month we are taking a Princess tour to Berlin ("Berlin on Your Own") and are looking forward to the long train ride as well as seeing Berlin again.

Mrs M

We stayed and went to Rostock on our own in 2008. Very easy to DIY. Then we were back to Warnamunde where they had the port party day. Lots of activities and fun, especially the tug ballet which was in the afternoon at that time. The whole town was quite busy with a lot of things going on. A very nice beach in town also. We sailed away from Warnamunde with the big fireworks at port. Very impressive and memorable!

Our day in Warnamunde

Hey, just out up a review today, we are just off the ship this morning. If you want high street shopping - Rostock. If you want a quaint little seaside village with beautiful views and little nik nak stores - Warnemunde. Check out my review.

Archived