Rostok or Berlin.

MarGG

We really can not choose whether to go to Berlin or to stay in Warnemunde. It would be helpful if you shared your personal experience – both advantages and disadvantages of these tours. On the one hand we have never been to Berlin before. On the other – I am not very much happy with the idea of spending hours on the bus. Any advice will be appreciated!

We stayed in Warnemunde and took the train to Rostock, transferred to another smaller train, and went to the resort town of Bad Doberan. We spent time there and then returned to Rostock and wandered around, having beers on the town square. It was a great day. I did not want to spend many hours on a train to Berlin, but I had no real interest in spending several hours there. Also, check if your ship is receiving a "boat night" sail-a-way from Warnemunde. If so, be on deck for departure. It was one of the coolest things ever. Most people who went to Berlin were exhausted, went to bed, and missed it.

Rostock will be a pleasant day.

Berlin will involve a long bus ride from the port (150 miles, about 2.5 hrs), & because the sights are well-spread throughout the city it's best done by an expensive organised tour (ship's or local operator's) because the hop-on bus or public transport are too time-consuming.

If this is a chance-in-a-lifetime, go for it.

But Berlin is pretty cheap & easy by air from the UK, and well worth a more relaxed & in-depth visit in a 2 or 3 or 4 day break on some other occasion (not winter, its very cold there)

JB :)

Also, check if your ship is receiving a "boat night" sail-a-way from Warnemunde. If so, be on deck for departure. It was one of the coolest things ever. Most people who went to Berlin were exhausted, went to bed, and missed it.

Hi, the 'boat nights' to which you refer are officially known as 'Rostock Port Partys'. In 2013 they are scheduled for 5th May, 11th June, 10th July and 15th August.

Organised by the Port Authority, usually to coincide with a special event (first visit of the Queen Elizabeth on May 5th) or multiple ships (June 11th - 3, July 10th - 4, August 15th - 3)) they include street stalls along the piers , performances by a Shanty Choir on the stage at Pier 7, a 'Tug Ballet' in which two of our local tugs 'dance' to music and a huge firework display as the cruise ships depart, accompianed out to sea by crowded pleasure craft and farewelled by the horns and whistles of all the ships in harbour as well as blasts on the Harbour fog-horn.

Hundreds of locals and holidaymakers turn out to join in the fun, the atmosphere is fantastic.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Some one else mentioned something like this last week. I responded the same way I have for years. If you have never[ been to Berlin and may never get back, you will kick yourself many times over, if you do not go.

As I just mentioned in another thread, we did not go to Berlin as I have been there already, but everyone we met, that had gone, and in all my years on this forum, I have yet to here one person say that they regretted making the trip.

As for the OP, I have never heard of spending just 3 hours in Berlin. This stop is usually one of the longest in a port, to allow for the long ride to and from Berlin. Are you sure you only get 3 hours there?.

If anyone wants to go to a city, like Berlin, and feels it may be their only chance to get there, I can assure you that if you do not go and then, when you get home, think that maybe you should have gone, you will be kicking yourself forever. If you want to see Berlin, GO FOR IT.

We did a pre and post cruise stay in London. We did the Eurostar to Paris for a day. Many people told us, Paris in 8-9 hours, no way, but for us we loved it. a lot of running around, but, as I said, we felt it was now or never and 8 hours in Paris beats no hours there.

You want to see Berlin, and Berlin should be seen, take the trip. You will be thrilled you did.

Companies like SPB Tours do an excellent job of showing Berlin as well as St Petersburg. They supply the transportation, the tour and will have you back on the ship with time to spare. Many, many wonderful recommendations for them. http://www.spb-tours.com/germany/

Cheers

Len

Do I understand correctly that these "boat nights" are not on the ship, but on the pier outside? What time do they start? And what time do the tours from Berlin return? The boat is scheduled to leave around midnight - does this mean there is enough time for everything?

Do I understand correctly that these "boat nights" are not on the ship, but on the pier outside? What time do they start? And what time do the tours from Berlin return? The boat is scheduled to leave around midnight - does this mean there is enough time for everything?

Hi, The Berlin tours arrive back at various times, it depends on what time they left. Usually they take the maximum time available away from the ship arriving back at, or just before, boarding time.

The Port Party is on the land, arranged by the Port Authority and sponsored by a local radio station. It has nothing to do with the cruise companies who, for reasons best known to themselves, often do not even tell their passengers it is happening.

The official timing depends on the departure time of the ships but the fun starts mid-afternoon with the street stalls and music etc. from the local radio station. The entertainment goes through the evening with the 'tug dancing' usually around 8pm and culminating with the fireworks, timed to co-incide with the departure of one of the ships, usually between 10 and 11pm.

Enjoy, I never miss one. :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

PS. The spelling of the official name is the Port Authority's, not mine :rolleyes:

In 2013 they are scheduled for 5th May, 11th June, 10th July and 15th August.

Anni

Sounds very interesting. The dates mentioned - are they already final. I have just looked up my cruise schedule, and Warnemunde is scheduled for the 20th. So no chance for us to see the event, correct?

Sounds very interesting. The dates mentioned - are they already final. I have just looked up my cruise schedule, and Warnemunde is scheduled for the 20th. So no chance for us to see the event, correct?

Hi, I'm afraid the dates are set but departing anytime is quite exciting. There is always a big crowd to farewell the ships and the Sarah Brightman song 'Time to Say Goodbye' is played for every ship.

Happy cruising :),

Anni

We rented a car and drove to a train station outside the center of Berlin, and took the train down to a stop near the Brandenburg gate. It didn't take as long as the train from Warnemuende, but obviously renting a car is not for everyone. I personally loved seeing Berlin, as I hadn't been there for about 40 years (!) and wanted to see it again, but it DOES require a bit of effort to get there and back!

If you decide to go, I would recommend booking a free tour of the Reichstag building, especially if you're a photographer. You have to do this in advance, however, as it's very popular. It's a beautiful building, with great views from the top. You walk up a gradually-sloping spiral ramp to the top.

We managed to see a good amount of Berlin before we had to go back. We also got back in time for me to take a nice evening stroll in Warnemuende, which is an enjoyable port.

1809409621_MRreichstagforcanvas16x20_8293.jpg.9defa748f6aca14f1d6dd1773bf2661c.jpg

I’ve also never been to Berlin and more over I always wanted to see it…. But we are travelling with a child of 3 and I think a 2,5 hour ride will be too much for us. We probably will spend a day in Rostock. Does anyone here have any suggestions concerning places to visit in Rostock? Any interesting museums or cathedrals?

I’ve also never been to Berlin and more over I always wanted to see it…. But we are travelling with a child of 3 and I think a 2,5 hour ride will be too much for us. We probably will spend a day in Rostock. Does anyone here have any suggestions concerning places to visit in Rostock? Any interesting museums or cathedrals?

Definitely such a long drive is not for the little one.

There is a nice thread about Rostock here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1318728&highlight=rostock - please have a look. Actually after reading it I am declining towards staying in Rostock myself. Though Berlin in one of the famous European capital cities, which I think in a must to see once on a lifetime at least, so I have not decided yet.

• 2 weeks later...
I wish we were be there when this was going on. But, we are there toward the end of Aug. Darn it! Sounds like fun!

Hi Judy,

We will be missing each other again, since we are on the Marina in July and stopping in Warnemunde. I hope we can travel together again sometime.

And, we will also be missing out on the fun day.

Carol

I agree with John Bull. We're doing a Baltic cruise in July and after a bit of debate decided we didn't want to spend so much time travelling. I then had a play on the Internet and found that I could book a 3 night stay in Berlin at a central and decent hotel including flights from Manchester for £250 each so we've planned to do this and explore Rostock on our Warnemunde port day.

We decided to opt for Rostock and never regretted. See, I hate long drives and short hurried tours of something as interesting as Berlin, I am absolutely sure you can just scratch a surface if you have there but several hours. Besides, private tours are quite expensive and big group tours are always a mess.

We used Anne ( http://www.rostock-guide.com/ ) as our guide to Rostock and had a great time.

We took the train....well worth the ride. Having never been to Berlin before it was worth it. The bus would probably be ok, just a little longer ride maybe. Think you would be disappointed to stay at port and not make Berlin.

How long was the train ride and once in Berlin did you have a tour organized. Presently booked to go in on a tour via bus but if train is faster would consider changing plans.

I agree with John Bull. We're doing a Baltic cruise in July and after a bit of debate decided we didn't want to spend so much time travelling. I then had a play on the Internet and found that I could book a 3 night stay in Berlin at a central and decent hotel including flights from Manchester for £250 each so we've planned to do this and explore Rostock on our Warnemunde port day.

I think I finally have to agree with staying in Rostock. Indeed Berlin deserves more than a day tour and I think we will do it one day in our usual 7 days style with more details, no hurry and a chance to integrate with the country a bit. After all this is not a life chance for me, I do not have to fly from the US. We'll stay in Rostock.

We decided to opt for Rostock and never regretted. See, I hate long drives and short hurried tours of something as interesting as Berlin, I am absolutely sure you can just scratch a surface if you have there but several hours. Besides, private tours are quite expensive and big group tours are always a mess.

We used Anne ( http://www.rostock-guide.com/ ) as our guide to Rostock and had a great time.

Thank you for the hint - I will try!

I think I finally have to agree with staying in Rostock. Indeed Berlin deserves more than a day tour and I think we will do it one day in our usual 7 days style with more details, no hurry and a chance to integrate with the country a bit. After all this is not a life chance for me, I do not have to fly from the US. We'll stay in Rostock.

Also look at Friends of Dave walking tours out of Warnemunde http://www.friendsofdavetours.com/Warnemunde_Port_Tours.html

Hi MarGG, a wise choice.

Both Rostock and Warnemünde are definitely DIY places. Compact, mostly pedestrian areas and the sights very close together. There are good, well sign posted tourist information offices in both.

Rostock - in the centre of the city in University Square. Get off the tram at Langestrasse, cross the road, walk up Breitestrasse, the tourist office is right across the square.

Warnemünde - in the middle of town directly up from the railway station. Through the subway, straight ahead across the bridge, on the second corner on the left.

Rostock is only 25 mins by s-bahn, cost 1.80 euro each way (FYI the ticket is valid on both the train and the tram, right from Warnemünde to Rostock city centre). Warnemünde is of course where you dock, you can see your ship from all over town. No need to worry about missing trains etc. while you linger over that last vino or beer.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• 1 month later...
Hi MarGG, a wise choice.

Both Rostock and Warnemünde are definitely DIY places. Compact, mostly pedestrian areas and the sights very close together. There are good, well sign posted tourist information offices in both.

Rostock - in the centre of the city in University Square. Get off the tram at Langestrasse, cross the road, walk up Breitestrasse, the tourist office is right across the square.

Warnemünde - in the middle of town directly up from the railway station. Through the subway, straight ahead across the bridge, on the second corner on the left.

Rostock is only 25 mins by s-bahn, cost 1.80 euro each way (FYI the ticket is valid on both the train and the tram, right from Warnemünde to Rostock city centre). Warnemünde is of course where you dock, you can see your ship from all over town. No need to worry about missing trains etc. while you linger over that last vino or beer.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you Anni! Such a nice description!

So I understand that it is better to go to Rostock first and then to return to Warnemunde and spend the afternoon there in order not to be in a hurry for the ship.

I have two questions if I may. First of all - just to make it easier for us - what is there in Rostock which we must not miss? In other words, can you list let's say 3 must-to-see places which are the first choice?

Second question: Why do you stress on the tourist office? Do they offer something which could be of use? Do you exchange money there?

Thank you Anni! Such a nice description!

So I understand that it is better to go to Rostock first and then to return to Warnemunde and spend the afternoon there in order not to be in a hurry for the ship.

I have two questions if I may. First of all - just to make it easier for us - what is there in Rostock which we must not miss? In other words, can you list let's say 3 must-to-see places which are the first choice?

Second question: Why do you stress on the tourist office? Do they offer something which could be of use? Do you exchange money there?

Hi, thank you for your appreciation. Yes, it is best to do Rostock first and finish in Warnemünde.

I was not really stressing the tourist offices, just letting you know where they are. Both have English speaking staff and information as to what to see and do.

The only place to change money is at the Reisebank on the railway station in Warnemünde before you go to Rostock.

The beauty of Rostock is in its architechture so just walking through the centre is great. Must sees:-

The Astronomical Clock in St Mary's church just off the Market Place. Built in 1472 it is the only one of its kind still working on the original mechanism. It is around the back of the altar. There are information sheets in English just inside the entrance to the church.

The Kröpeliner Tor, the brick tower at the end of the pedestrian shopping street. One of the four remaining City Gates it is the only one with public access. From there walk around the well preserved section of the city walls to the Convent of the Holy Cross, now the Rostock Museum of Cultural History, to see some beautifully restored medieval buildings.

University Square with the Fountain of the Zest for Life. A place to see buildings from several different eras and then sit with a coffee and people watch.

Kröpeliner Strasse leading from Uni Square to the Market place. Restored after WWll it looks much the same as it did several hundred years ago.

Hope you enjoy your day :)

Anni

I just returned from a 9 day Baltic Cruise on the NCL Star.

My take on the Berlin question is this: if you have been there before, do not attempt to go back in just a day; however, if you have NEVER been to Berlin and you don't think you'll EVER have another chance to see it, then by all means take the one day excursion.

We have been to Berlin before, so we wanted to do something local. We used SPB Tours for St Petersburg, and elected to use them as well for their Rostock/Schwerin tour. We received a small discount for the Germany tour since we were booked for St Petersburg.

Our guide met us at the ship, and we boarded the first of what would be many train segments in order to get to the various venues. We traveled to Rostock, a quaint little village that apparently sustained a lot of damage in the war. We visited the Cathedral, and walked around the main square, shopping streets, saw the University, and a convent if I recall correctly. We had an included sausage and beer lunch at a walk-up stand, which are all over the main shopping street. It was very good.

After lunch, we boarded another train to the very lovely town of Schwerin. The town is surrounded by beautiful lakes. We walked from the train station through the town to the Schwerin Castle. It is breathtaking, and is set on one of the towns lakes. We toured both the grounds and the castle.

After the tour of the castle, we had free time to explore the many cafes and shops in the lovely city center. We then returned by train (2 connections) to the port, where the tour concluded. There was still plenty of time for people to walk around Warnemunde if desired.

Since we had been to Berlin already, this was a perfect option for us.

Later, we heard favorable comments from those who had used SPB Tours for their Berlin excursion.

So, again, I'd say if you've never been to Berlin and don't think you'll ever return, then by all means take the Berlin excursion. It will be a long day, but they will certainly keep you entertained, and obviously get you back to the ship on time.

Archived