Skipping formal night in MDR???

The only reason there are formal nights is because the cruise line makes money on photographs and tux rentals

That may be a part of it, but primarily it is a holdover from when it was the custom to "dress" for the dining room EVERY night. In years gone by one would never enter the MDR without a suit or tux.

Heck, i remember when one wouldn't get on an airplane without a tire and jacket....many of us still enjoy getting to dress for an evening

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

That may be a part of it, but primarily it is a holdover from when it was the custom to "dress" for the dining room EVERY night. In years gone by one would never enter the MDR without a suit or tux.

Heck, i remember when one wouldn't get on an airplane without a tire and jacket....many of us still enjoy getting to dress for an evening

It's funny...I hate getting dressed up for dinner (I always dress appropriately for wherever I'm going, but I don't enjoy it), but I refuse to step on an airplane looking like a slob. My grandfather insisted that we dress up when we flew to see him, so I guess it's just engrained in me. I cringe at what people wear on planes. But for some reason, what people wear in the MDR doesn't bother me at all. Weird?! :confused:

I have never and will never wear a tux to formal night. I have also never eaten in the Windjammer on formal night.

I have worn a suit on several formal nights because the wife wanted to dress up a bit. However, most formal nights I wear the same clothes I wear any other night. I don't look like a slob, but I have no desire to play "Geriatric Prom" either.

If people want to dress to the nines to have a great cruise and pretend they are dining with the Queen, the Vatican, the Gettys, the Rothschilds, or even Colonel Sanders himself... so be it! Let them have their party! I just have no desire to get that dolled up for dinner on a cruise ship.

If I get an invite to the White House or something... sure! A cruise ship? Nah.

I refuse to step on an airplane looking like a slob.

You know, I agree and disagree with this. I recently spent the better part of 2 hours staring at this kid looking like he rolled directly out of bed and onto the plane and his girlfriend in ill-fitting yoga pants, who had about 4" of her crack sticking out for the whole flight.

A short domestic flight is no place for slobs. You should at least look presentable and respectable.

HOWEVER... after several flights to Europe and back... forget that, I'm getting comfortable!!! That's torture!

he said we should have come to dinner in the MDR anyway! .

Every RCI waiter I have had so far has came out the night before with the menu, explained that its formal night but have always said "you dont have to worry about dressing up if you dont want to. Come anyway" or something to that effect.

You know, I agree and disagree with this. I recently spent the better part of 2 hours staring at this kid looking like he rolled directly out of bed and onto the plane and his girlfriend in ill-fitting yoga pants, who had about 4" of her crack sticking out for the whole flight.

A short domestic flight is no place for slobs. You should at least look presentable and respectable.

HOWEVER... after several flights to Europe and back... forget that, I'm getting comfortable!!! That's torture!

I said I won't "STEP ON" to the plane looking like a slob. If it's a long haul, I'm changing into my comfy pants. :)

Every RCI waiter I have had so far has came out the night before with the menu, explained that its formal night but have always said "you dont have to worry about dressing up if you dont want to. Come anyway" or something to that effect.

Same here.

"Formal" night usually has our favorite menus so we hate to miss that night in the MDR. When we started cruising we wore our tux and enjoyed the novelty of the evening. After our first few cruises, that wore off. For the next few cruises we would bring a suit and tie, and change right after dinner to casual, comfortable clothes. Now we don't even bring a jacket. Dress pants and a nice shirt are just fine today in the MDR even on formal night.

We took one cruise on Carnival, and while I don't plan another Carnival cruise, we sure enjoyed wearing shorts to the MDR on the non-formal nights. I am sure one day we will see this on Royal too. Suggested dress is going more casual...a trend that I don't see reversing itself.

Same here.

I will probably be following their advice from here on out :) I dont even own a suit and while renting a tux and dressing to the nines was fun the first couple of times, that has wore off and I have all the 20.00 8X10 formal pics i need.

I will show up in my kahkis and dress shirt and feel just fine on Formal night and if thats considered being slobbish well, I guess Im just a slob :p

The only "customs" that have been held over are the ones that make money for the cruise line.

Archived