Review of our 2013 Spring Break Carnival Breeze Cruise

PaulMedik

We were told by the clerk at Del Sol ( I believe we originally purchased the first pair in Cozumel) that you can request a pair for any reason.... even if you want a second pair. On the postcard that is given with each pair, you have to check off why you need another pair... lost, stolen, broken, or... gave them to someone else! We bought our first pair in 2004, when John Heald was our CD. He was the CD who originally told us about the fantastic deal.... this replacement deal has been going on for a long time.

With the cost of the sunglasses... trust me.. they are making their money. The markup on sunglasses is ridiculous!

Catrin

Thanks for your response. It is a really good deal.

PaulMedik,

Lovin' your review!! We were on the Breeze with you and my wife and I met you only one time just after our arrival in Curacao. You were out on deck taking some of your fantastic photos when we met. We are the couple from the central part of your home state and perhaps you will recall our discussion about your hometown.

I was hoping that I would meet Karen so I could send a "hello" to one of her co-workers that grew-up within sight of our home. Actually, while on the pool deck on the last sea day, I saw this certain lady and thought for sure she must be Karen. I was so sure (I have only seen pics of your wife in your reviews over the years) that I walked up to the lady and ask if her name was "Karen." She politely explained that her name was "Sue." I quickly offered my apology and told her that I thought she was a person that I had met on a previous cruise. She said, "No problem."

Tomorrow early A.M., we are leaving for Ft Lauderdale to sail on the Allure of The Seas on Sunday. Guess I will need to catch the remainder of your Breeze review after we return home in a little more that a week. I really believe that the next best thing to actually being on a real live cruise is to read one of your cruise reviews. I admire your talents!!

Paul,

Your review and photos are fantastic! I will be on the Breeze in just under a moonth and I am beyond excited. Thank you for taking the time to do such a thorough review!

I recently purchased my first DSLR camera and I am looking forward to using it on our upcoming cruise. I'm a complete novice when it comes to photography, but I am having fun learning how to use my camera. Your pictures are wonderful and I hope I can get some that are half as nice as yours. I was wondering what kind of equipment (camera, lenses, filters) you were using? Do you do any editing using Lightroom or another program?

Thanks again for the review!

BTW, I have a Canon Rebel T3i with a 18-55mm lens and a 55-250mm lens.

Edited by brandn03

PaulMedik,

Lovin' your review!! We were on the Breeze with you and my wife and I met you only one time just after our arrival in Curacao. You were out on deck taking some of your fantastic photos when we met. We are the couple from the central part of your home state and perhaps you will recall our discussion about your hometown.

I was hoping that I would meet Karen so I could send a "hello" to one of her co-workers that grew-up within sight of our home. Actually, while on the pool deck on the last sea day, I saw this certain lady and thought for sure she must be Karen. I was so sure (I have only seen pics of your wife in your reviews over the years) that I walked up to the lady and ask if her name was "Karen." She politely explained that her name was "Sue." I quickly offered my apology and told her that I thought she was a person that I had met on a previous cruise. She said, "No problem."

Tomorrow early A.M., we are leaving for Ft Lauderdale to sail on the Allure of The Seas on Sunday. Guess I will need to catch the remainder of your Breeze review after we return home in a little more that a week. I really believe that the next best thing to actually being on a real live cruise is to read one of your cruise reviews. I admire your talents!!

jljlinda,

Thank you.

It was very nice meeting you and your wife and I did tell Karen about meeting her coworker's friends.

Bon Voyage and I hope we get to sail together again some day.

Paul,

Your review and photos are fantastic! I will be on the Breeze in just under a moonth and I am beyond excited. Thank you for taking the time to do such a thorough review!

I recently purchased my first DSLR camera and I am looking forward to using it on our upcoming cruise. I'm a complete novice when it comes to photography, but I am having fun learning how to use my camera. Your pictures are wonderful and I hope I can get some that are half as nice as yours. I was wondering what kind of equipment (camera, lenses, filters) you were using? Do you do any editing using Lightroom or another program?

Thanks again for the review!

BTW, I have a Canon Rebel T3i with a 18-55mm lens and a 55-250mm lens.

Brandn03,

Thank you.

I used four Canon cameras; DSLR: Canon 5D Mk III with Canon F2.8 15 mm, 70-200 F2.8L, Canon 24-70 F2.8L, Canon 135 F2.0L, and Canon 85 F1.4 lenses. Point and Shoot: Canon SX260HS and Canon SX50HS. Underwater: Canon D20. My son Britt used a Canon 6D with 70-200 F2.8L lens.

Since I got into DSLR I bought just about every filter type there is, but I've opted to avoid using them and instead I've purchased 'L' quality glass lenses. I've tried the filters out, but the notion of placing a ~$100 piece of thin glass in front of a $2500 glass lens just hasn't impressed me enough to continue using them. I compared results with the high dollar filters vs the cheap ones and the difference just doesn't show up.

Perhaps it makes sense to 'protect the lens,' but I prefer to never touch the glass with anything prior to blowing off the dust and then using a quality lens cleaning cloth. I always use a lens hood to prevent glare and to protect the glass from being touched.

I edited all of the photos with Adobe Lightroom 4. The majority of the editing consisted of improving the horizons and making sure there wasn't obvious background things that needed to be removed; South Beach scenery is not all rated PG and I don't post R rated material on purpose. Some of the pics in DR at the resort where I zoomed in on the kids while they were kayaking and riding the bananna boat had some R rated things on the anchored boats that I had no clue were there. :eek:

LR4 also has a custom preset for fog and haze that negates the benefit of a 'Haze or UV' filter.

Earlier in the week Karen spoke with Carnival's photography department about a photo session for ANOTHER set of senior pictures for Bryson. Karen and Bryson spent much of the rainy morning earlier in the week going around the ship to various locations for pictures. Outside wasn't an option due to the rain, but there are many location inside that were suitable. Dozens of pictures were printed and several packages were offered (Starting at $499 for 10 8x10s and one 13x19? or 16x23?) Individual 8x10s were $35 each and we chose these;

8643598347_db803a96ac_b.jpg

Carnival Breeze Carnival pics by paulmedik, on Flickr

8644692038_04e10ecfb4_b.jpg

My favorite;

8643593827_c40c8f1f6e_b.jpg

8644685144_5db9861c28_b.jpg

The Carnival photog did an excellent job with presenting the packages and obviously with the photos and retouching. I was also pleased to hear that she used the exact same camera as I do: Canon 5D Mk III.

Remember the hearty breakfast I had today? Well lunch was just as hearty;

8652202635_5471ccd555_b.jpg

Carnival Breeze Day 5 by paulmedik, on Flickr

I should note that only ONE of those burgers was mine and the other one without as many toppings was Karen's.

As we approached Curacao we left our chair hog droppings in place on our deck so nobody would steal our chairs;

8652070523_d2d44ceea9_b.jpg

Bryson and Britt's balcony;

8653172010_3563cdef2b_b.jpg

As you can see from this shot up the side we never did escape the high winds;

8653168532_3fb7c49f42_b.jpg

Before disembarking I took a stroll around the Lanai and met jljlinda in the forward area. This is a 'miniature' or 'toy effect' shot from that location;

8653286480_0433fbdb44_b.jpg

Nice pool;

8652198939_8e7fc8cab7_b.jpg

Shot of pool in 'miniature' mode;

8653294970_c75ea4ccd4_b.jpg

Passengers were streaming from the ship like bees from a hive headed for their evening on the island;

8653294568_7bc990d8be_b.jpg

Brandn03,

Thank you.

I used four Canon cameras; DSLR: Canon 5D Mk III with Canon F2.8 15 mm, 70-200 F2.8L, Canon 24-70 F2.8L, Canon 135 F2.0L, and Canon 85 F1.4 lenses. Point and Shoot: Canon SX260HS and Canon SX50HS. Underwater: Canon D20. My son Britt used a Canon 6D with 70-200 F2.8L lens.

Since I got into DSLR I bought just about every filter type there is, but I've opted to avoid using them and instead I've purchased 'L' quality glass lenses. I've tried the filters out, but the notion of placing a ~$100 piece of thin glass in front of a $2500 glass lens just hasn't impressed me enough to continue using them. I compared results with the high dollar filters vs the cheap ones and the difference just doesn't show up.

Perhaps it makes sense to 'protect the lens,' but I prefer to never touch the glass with anything prior to blowing off the dust and then using a quality lens cleaning cloth. I always use a lens hood to prevent glare and to protect the glass from being touched.

I edited all of the photos with Adobe Lightroom 4. The majority of the editing consisted of improving the horizons and making sure there wasn't obvious background things that needed to be removed; South Beach scenery is not all rated PG and I don't post R rated material on purpose. Some of the pics in DR at the resort where I zoomed in on the kids while they were kayaking and riding the bananna boat had some R rated things on the anchored boats that I had no clue were there. :eek:

LR4 also has a custom preset for fog and haze that negates the benefit of a 'Haze or UV' filter.

Paul,

Thanks for the info! I have played around a bit with Lightroom 4 but I have only had my camera for about a month, so I have still have TONS to learn.

One last question. What did you use to get the miniature effect pictures? Those look really neat! It honestly had to look several times to make sue you hadn't just taken a picture of a miniature replica of the port are in Curaçao.

Thanks again!

Thank you all for the kind comments; they are much appreciated.

Paul,

Thanks for the info! I have played around a bit with Lightroom 4 but I have only had my camera for about a month, so I have still have TONS to learn.

One last question. What did you use to get the miniature effect pictures? Those look really neat! It honestly had to look several times to make sue you hadn't just taken a picture of a miniature replica of the port are in Curaçao.

Thanks again!

Brandn03,

The miniature effect is an incamera option. It can be created with LR4, by adjusting the sharpness of the top and bottom of each picture or basically making the top and bottom out of focus. The remaining area is then compressed to make everything smaller. All of the cameras I carried have the in camera option for the mini effect, but some are easier to navigate to than others.

My advice is to shoot a LOT of pictures and try new techniques every day and then work on improving the results of the techniques you like best. The same holds true with LightRoom and the best thing about it is you can try multiple effects with each photo and still keep the original intact as shot.

Every time I go out and take pictures I learn something new and find a new angle I wish to explore. After nearly four decades of taking pictures I have a couple dozen or so that I really like and think I almost nailed perfect. Not quite, but almost. Interestingly enough, some of the shots I like the best have obvious flaws that I could correct in post processing, but I like them as they are so I won't edit them. :eek:

i gotta catch up

Serene56,

Just like cruising's real draw is the travel between ports vs the actual arrival; The pursuit is more fun than the capture. ;) Two sentences that define me as a person who sails for 'Fun Days @ Sea.'

Like you and many others we are always looking forward to our next adventure! :cool: With that said, it's been a Loooong time since I didn't have a cruise booked or three or four and I don't have a SINGLE cruise booked!

Your pictures are GREAT!

Sorry to be another person asking about the camera, but how do you like the SX50HS?

It's on my personal wish list. Since they don't let you take the DSLR into sporting events or concerts without a press pass. :( It's the next step down.

I've personally converted lots of friends and family to Canon, they tell me I take great pictures and I just tell them I have a great camera. :)

Paul, wonderful pictures, great review, gorgeous family. keep making those wonderful memories. Thank you so much for sharing

Cathy,

Thank you.

Your pictures are GREAT!

Sorry to be another person asking about the camera, but how do you like the SX50HS?

It's on my personal wish list. Since they don't let you take the DSLR into sporting events or concerts without a press pass. :( It's the next step down.

I've personally converted lots of friends and family to Canon, they tell me I take great pictures and I just tell them I have a great camera. :)

debee1015,

The SX50HS is a great camera and with it's manual settings you can use it in place of a DSLR provided you have enough light. As I recall the ISO adjusts up to 6400 and is practically as noise free as the 5DIII, but it won't go higher.

I used it with my 5DIII at a baseball game earlier this year and was able to zoom in and grab shots that I would've had to have cropped heavily to achieve with my DSLR & 70-200.

Imagine going to a sports event with a 1200mm lens......the SX50HS has that much 'reach.' ;)

I rousted Spencer and Jaden out of their room and up to the front of the ship for some pics;

8653273700_77cb86bccb_b.jpg

Deck 6 forward;

8653269342_beb181be52_b.jpg

Looking up from deck 5 (Note the abundance of windshield wipers on the bridge windows);

8653267538_c7da75a788_b.jpg

Stairway from deck 6;

8652166243_8fe3972f6f_b.jpg

Lanai deck 5 forward;

8653265340_68ee90a113_b.jpg

8652163103_ae069f2939_b.jpg

I have really enjoyed your review. We are going on the Breeze in November. I was wondering the price you paid for photos was that a separate price for having photos taken in different spots. They used to be $19.99 for each 8x10. I was just wondering if the prices went way up, we usually do our family photos on board and buy usually 5-6 poses and the canvas print as well.

Also, I am a new to dslr photography. I bought a book but it wasn't much help (bad book) I plan on getting a different book but I loved your miniature model look to some of your photos. Is that a feature exclusive to your model of camera or can it be done on any camera. I have a canon EOS rebel t3.

We also did the same itinerary as you did but on the Freedom. We also went to Dreams in DR. I loved it there. Seeing your pics at the beach and the water trampoline brought back fun memories. My girls tried for a long time to get on that thing, and kept falling back off, the iceberg too, but they had it in the pool at that time. It was so beautiful there I would go back in a heartbeat.

Being from WV we're used to seeing long steel arch bridges (New River Gorge Bridge is about 20 miles from our house);

8652157433_10b4933816_b.jpg

We're used to coal barges passing our house on the Kanawha River, but not container ships;

8652147223_afd8dbe8d1_b.jpg

WV kids can always get coal truck drivers to blow their airhorns and ship captains are easily motivated as well;

8652143665_ce57663bc9_b.jpg

Ship's horns are LOUD;

8652141483_5af9fe8981_b.jpg

8653239772_9cb714f8df_b.jpg

Steps up to deck 6;

8652136795_c0df68f894_b.jpg

I have really enjoyed your review. We are going on the Breeze in November. I was wondering the price you paid for photos was that a separate price for having photos taken in different spots. They used to be $19.99 for each 8x10. I was just wondering if the prices went way up, we usually do our family photos on board and buy usually 5-6 poses and the canvas print as well.

Also, I am a new to dslr photography. I bought a book but it wasn't much help (bad book) I plan on getting a different book but I loved your miniature model look to some of your photos. Is that a feature exclusive to your model of camera or can it be done on any camera. I have a canon EOS rebel t3.

We also did the same itinerary as you did but on the Freedom. We also went to Dreams in DR. I loved it there. Seeing your pics at the beach and the water trampoline brought back fun memories. My girls tried for a long time to get on that thing, and kept falling back off, the iceberg too, but they had it in the pool at that time. It was so beautiful there I would go back in a heartbeat.

becky11111,

Thank you.

The 8x10s we purchased of Bryson were more expensive simply because the photographer spent the time editing each pic in photoshop and time going around the ship to various locales. Regular 8x10s with no photoshopping are still in the $19.99 range.

The miniature effect is available on many cameras though finding it through the various menus is sometimes tricky. I know it's been on at least the last couple of Kodak cameras I've had. I'm not sure whether it's a feature on the EOS T3 or not, but look thru the menu for styles and finishing. My experience with Canon DSLR is with the 60D, 6D, and 5DIII. Spencer owned a rebel T3i briefly, but I never tried it out.

Check out the website Photography-on-the.net for helpful shooting tips as well as everything else you can imagine for Canon cameras. It's a forum much like Cruise Critic where the members contribute and answer questions. I own a bunch of books about DSLR as well as several dozen kindle books on DSLR, but most of what I've learned has come from Photography-on-the.net...........and practice practice and more practice. :D

I agree wholeheartedly about Dreams DR. We'll be back there too for sure!

Jaden as seen thru the window of the 'secret door' at the front of deck 6;

8653235572_8272bc20ea_b.jpg

Bathrobes on the beach! Well, not exactly. More like bathrobes in the hallway of Carnival Breeze, but it sure looks like a beach;

8652132099_bd3798663a_b.jpg

Multiple beach scenes are scattered throughout the halls of Carnival Breeze;

8653233086_2b095d0784_b.jpg

Afternoon pizza delivered to our balcony by Britt;

8652131623_0720fd9115_b.jpg

Headed for the gangway;

8652228735_4987fa6554_b.jpg

If you make a wrong turn and try to head down to the gangway from the wrong set of stairs there are signs to redirect you;

8653328660_29c60d89f3_b.jpg

Paul,

Thanks for the review. It is always great to follow you and your family with the awesome pictures. It's hard to believe how fast the kids grow up. It seems like it was just yesterday when we shared some room pictures and discovered our kids had the same bear they took on cruises. I don't think they would be admitting that to their friends today.

It's also great to see how much you are enjoying the Breeze. We will be sailing it the end of March next year. Thanks again for taking the time to share!

Steve

So enjoying the review! Another question....did you snorkel at Dreams or know if the snorkeling is any good there?

Thanks!

Portlandpete,

Thank you.

Steve and I snorkeled at Dreams, but we didn't go far enough out for clear water. We heard from some other folks there that we needed to be about one hundred yards out before the water was clear, or be there very early before the water was stirred up by guests. There's also areas to the right and left of the resort that looked prime for snorkeling.

Paul,

Thanks for the review. It is always great to follow you and your family with the awesome pictures. It's hard to believe how fast the kids grow up. It seems like it was just yesterday when we shared some room pictures and discovered our kids had the same bear they took on cruises. I don't think they would be admitting that to their friends today.

It's also great to see how much you are enjoying the Breeze. We will be sailing it the end of March next year. Thanks again for taking the time to share!

Steve

Steve,

Thank you.

I remember the picture of both my sons bear and as I recall your daughters bear? Seems like yesterday or maybe just a week ago at the longest. Bryson still has his, but he doesn't travel like he used to. ;)

Brandn03,

The miniature effect is an incamera option. It can be created with LR4, by adjusting the sharpness of the top and bottom of each picture or basically making the top and bottom out of focus. The remaining area is then compressed to make everything smaller. All of the cameras I carried have the in camera option for the mini effect, but some are easier to navigate to than others.

My advice is to shoot a LOT of pictures and try new techniques every day and then work on improving the results of the techniques you like best. The same holds true with LightRoom and the best thing about it is you can try multiple effects with each photo and still keep the original intact as shot.

Every time I go out and take pictures I learn something new and find a new angle I wish to explore. After nearly four decades of taking pictures I have a couple dozen or so that I really like and think I almost nailed perfect. Not quite, but almost. Interestingly enough, some of the shots I like the best have obvious flaws that I could correct in post processing, but I like them as they are so I won't edit them. :eek:

I actually found the miniature setting today while I was playing around with my camera. Can't wait to try it out one the cruise.

By the way, I just saw you say you are close to the New River Gorge Bridge. We are practically neighbors. I live in Virginia not far from Bluefield, WV. We are up your way on ocassion for rafting and Brdge Day.

Thanks again!