Review of our 2013 Spring Break Carnival Breeze Cruise

PaulMedik

Our Spring Break Carnival Breeze cruise was an 8 day Southern Caribbean departing from Miami Florida March 30 2013 with stops in Nassau (Grand Turk was cancelled), Dominican Republic, Curacao, and Aruba.

The ship was outstanding, the food was great, the ports were wonderful, and we had a great time.

For those only interested in the brief details, please refer to the above info. If you like pictures and more detail, keep reading.

Cruisers were myself 'Paul,' my DW Karen, DS18 Bryson, DS16Spencer, DS12 Britt, and Spencer's friend Jaden age 16. We also had two other families from our hometown cruising wtih us; a family of four +1 friend and a Mother and Son (Heather and Jacob that have cruised with us before).

We flew out of Charleston WV via Delta on March 27. Here's the boys unloading the luggage at the airport;

8642413630_71e7467605_b.jpg

Breeze PreCruise by paulmedik, on Flickr

And patiently waiting for our flight;

8641312723_233ca35a30_b.jpg

We had a scheduled layover in Charlotte NC of 47 minutes, but due to our late arrival we had 11 minutes to go from one end of the airport to the other. Luckily Charlotte has 'moving sidewalks' to speed pedestrians;

8642412928_b5903c9285_b.jpg

Awesome! Can't wait. It's kind of cool to have read your reviews over the years and see the boys grow up. It's strange to feel like I know your family even though we have never met. All that to say, really looking forward to the latest installment.

So Excited!

This is the first year in a while that we have not followed you on the same cruise a few months later!

But... we hope to cruise on the Breeze with that itinerary soon!

Cannot wait to once again live vicariously through your family.

Thanks!

Catrin

Thank you all for the kind comments and my apologies for the brief intermission.

In past years we've been flying Allegiant Air which offers direct flights to Fort Lauderdale from WV. This year Allegiant lowered their weights to 40 pounds, raised their per bag fees and kept their prices high so we flew via US Air which takes longer; seven hours vs an hour and a half with Allegiant. We also flew into Miami instead of Fort Lauderdale which meant a long wait for bags. We flew in on Wednesday (Sailed on Saturday) in order to get some extra beach time. Bryson volunteered to be the bag watcher;

8642449806_d83b105cce_b.jpg

IMG_6506-1 by paulmedik, on Flickr

We arrived in Miami just after midnight and it was an hour or so later by the time we made it to The Savoy. I took some pics along the way, but night time pics from moving cabs tend end up the recycle bin.

We booked a two bedroom suite at The Savoy which also included a sleeper sofa for Spencer and his friend Jaden;

8642449620_336dafeed4_b.jpg

Carnival Breeze PreCruise by paulmedik, on Flickr

Bryson and Britt claimed one room and Karen and I managed to grab the other bedroom.

I had planned to be up at sunrise for pics of the ships coming in, but the late arrival combined with the super comfy bed caused me to sleep in until almost noon. When I did go outside, I realized quite quickly that I was missing a great day;

8642449564_66a346bfd6_b.jpg

The walkway from The Savoy out to the beach was very inviting;

8641348297_56302269b3_b.jpg

Getting closer;

8641348099_a0d8355153_b.jpg

A quick look back toward The Savoy;

8641347939_3a0ec4cbd2_b.jpg

Looking South toward Government Cut;

8641347701_e241220fb7_b.jpg

And looking North;

8641347481_8a47036f44_b.jpg

The Savoy has a nice setup on the beach that includes two chairs and an umbrella for each day;

8642447590_8f0460de4e_b.jpg

They even have a nice sand pit for the kids along with multiple buckets, shovels, and toys;

8641346375_cc1ab72cae_b.jpg

It was just a little bit windy and the temps were in the 70s so most of the locals were frozen, but since we left freezing SNOW and the boys had two snow days right before we left, it's safe to say we were OK with temps in the 70s;

8642446536_0ae7f0d59a_b.jpg

It suffices to say that I enjoyed this position quite a bit during our time in Miami and throughout our cruise;

8642445106_34024806e8_b.jpg

Edited by PaulMedik

Side comment-

When I joined CC several years ago, your reviews were always extremely helpful and fun to read.... It's hard to believe that the kids in your review now are the same kids in your avatar pic! Where does time go, ha!

Thanks again for doing these

-Josh

The yellow building right above Spencer's head is the Hilton Bentley South Beach where Karen and I stayed after our 20th anniversary cruise on Carnival Destiny;

8642434262_bbaa3e9346_b.jpg

The water was just cold enough to cause you to become numb in a matter of minutes, but I insisted that Jaden come try it out. As you can see, he was a bit cold;

8641324233_78783ede1e_b.jpg

The water was just too enticing for me to avoid;

8642424278_43016d7f3e_b.jpg

8641323311_b85f9fc884_b.jpg

8641322459_b440290cef_b.jpg

Cold or not, I LOVED it;

8642422744_967dfe813d_b.jpg

Yay!!! I'm so excited that you've started your Breeze review... something to keep me entertained until my time comes to sail on her.

I've been a fan of your reviews for years. *anxiously waiting for more* :D

Side comment-

When I joined CC several years ago, your reviews were always extremely helpful and fun to read.... It's hard to believe that the kids in your review now are the same kids in your avatar pic! Where does time go, ha!

Thanks again for doing these

-Josh

Josh, I was thinking the same thing. They can't be that old yet. It is like we have watch these boys grow up via cruise reviews. :)