Review of our 2013 Spring Break Carnival Breeze Cruise

PaulMedik

Thanks so much for the great review and wonderful pictures:). The ship looks wonderful! Isn't it fun to take a cruise newbie with you:):)

After the last few days....I have family right outside of Boston...it makes me feel happy and calm to read your review.

Yay....I love reading your reviews!!

I'm always looking for hotel options. I've never stayed at the Savoy so I'm wondering what it is that you like so much about it. I might have to put it on my hotel list!

Thank you!!

KenMo,

Thank you.

The Savoy is like an oasis of calm just steps away from the bustle of South Beach and being South of the activity means it's very close to the channel for watching ships come and go. It has plenty of shady areas around the pool for those who wish to feel the heat yet avoid the sun (Not me) and is large enough to not feel like you are on top of each other. The beach area is also broad and only occupied by The Savoy guests for the most part. The rooms and furnishings are not cookie cutter hotel rooms; each room is unique and has it's own character. The bedding is comparable to Carnival, and the mattresses are quite a bit better than Carnival so a comfy night's sleep is easier to come by though it does result in sleeping in.....

There are fancier hotels and hotels with more amenities, but none are more comfortable or more relaxing than The Savoy IMO.

Was your flight any cheaper in the long run? I live in Ashland,ky so I use tristate airport and allegiant. Never used Charleston before. Great review too.

kybluecruiser,

Thank you.

$3000 for six passengers and six bags vs Allegiant's price of ~$3600 for the same time frame and 60 pounds less luggage as well as having to pay for carry ons.

Allegiant's only advantage would have been flight time with no layover, but all totaled it would have been nearly $1k more to fly Allegiant; almost worth it to avoid the flight time, but not quite. Allegiant's normal price would have been at least $2k cheaper, but they started high last September and kept prices high for our particular flight times.

Loving your review and pictures. I'm reliving my 14 days spent on her this past December and can't wait to go on her again this coming November. In the meantime, your review is bringing back all the memories. Yes, indeed the Breeze is a beautiful ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul, I echo your sentiments on all that has been happening lately. I try to count my blessings every day for the joy that my little family brings me.

I am glad you were able to put your experience with that anal card guy aside. Now, how are you feeling about that Porter 21 or something at Port of Miami? (That was you a few years ago, wasn't it?)

rdler,

I looked around for the infamous porter, but he was no where in sight. I'm thinking he may have conspired with the anal card guy to disrupt my cruise. :p

Really enjoying another PaulMedik review! :D

We had a great time on the Breeze and look forward to the Liberty in just 7 days!

Looking forward to more of your review. Hopefully you didn't have to disassemble your laptop this time? ;)

rtw68,

Thank you.

LOL, I was very careful to make sure where I inserted the cards and never once tried to stick one in with the lights off.

Paul when you get a chance can you tell me how debarking the ship went for you? I've heard stories about how long it's taking to clear customs now with the government cutbacks ect. I'll be on the Breeze next week and for the first time I'm actually a bit nervous about our early flights back home. We do self assist and priority debarking so hoping this will be a non issue for us. We typically end up at the airport so early that we end up waiting just to be able to hand over our bags. This time we have flights at 10:50am. :eek:

Loving your review so far!!! I'm considering the Breeze or Oasis next year for our family of 6, very hard decision. I am liking the Oasis for the shows, but the Breeze for the real beds for everybody in the family (not having to use a sofabed), ports and extra sailing day.

We tried Carnival Liberty last summer and LOVED the ports but were a little bit disappointed with the shows/entertainment/activities and buffet setup on the ship, but still had a great cruise. Just a couple of quick questions...

1. How would you compare the shows/entertainment/activities on the Breeze compared to the Liberty.

2. Is smoking allowed in the Comedy Club? Smoking was allowed during the comedy shows on Liberty which was not a good thing for us.

3. How did you like the ports??

Your family is wonderful...thanks in advance for any info given!! :)

Edited by funfamilyof6

Paul when you get a chance can you tell me how debarking the ship went for you? I've heard stories about how long it's taking to clear customs now with the government cutbacks ect. I'll be on the Breeze next week and for the first time I'm actually a bit nervous about our early flights back home. We do self assist and priority debarking so hoping this will be a non issue for us. We typically end up at the airport so early that we end up waiting just to be able to hand over our bags. This time we have flights at 10:50am. :eek:

UpstateCruizer,

Debarking was literally a Breeze. We normally do self assist and get off whenever, but this time we set our bags out the night before.

We ate breakfast at 0647;

8655962395_a81b8a41c0_b.jpg

Carnival Breeze Post Cruise by paulmedik, on Flickr

We walked straight to the Gangway when our number was called (Platinum was #1, 2, and 3) and at ) and at 07:23 we were on the gangway;

8655961845_e000eba3a2_b.jpg

At 07:38 we were curbside with all of our luggage waiting for our ride;

8655961845_e000eba3a2_b.jpg

Suffices to say that all of the self assist folks who needed to be off early were off the ship in plenty of time for early flights.

Loving your review so far!!! I'm considering the Breeze or Oasis next year for our family of 6, very hard decision. I am liking the Oasis for the shows, but the Breeze for the real beds for everybody in the family (not having to use a sofabed), ports and extra sailing day.

We tried Carnival Liberty last summer and LOVED the ports but were a little bit disappointed with the shows/entertainment/activities and buffet setup on the ship, but still had a great cruise. Just a couple of quick questions...

1. How would you compare the shows/entertainment/activities on the Breeze compared to the Liberty.

2. Is smoking allowed in the Comedy Club? Smoking was allowed during the comedy shows on Liberty which was not a good thing for us.

3. How did you like the ports??

Your family is wonderful...thanks in advance for any info given!! :)

funfamilyof6,

Thank you.

Comparing entertainment on Liberty to Breeze is a bit more complicated than it may seem simply because Liberty has been evolving each time we've sailed her. On our first cruise they still had the steel drum bands live on Lido every day and by our second and third cruise they were phasing them out; they were still there, just not every day. Various entertainment acts were more prevalent throughout the ship years ago moreso than last year. Stage shows for the most part have been consistant; entertaining, but with room for improvement.

Activities staff on Liberty has always been outstanding, but Breeze would earn the advantage simply due to more venues for activities along with a much wider variety for all ages.

Smoking is allowed in the piano bar on Breeze, but I don't think it's allowed in the comedy club and if so not everywhere. I honestly never noticed the smoking on Liberty until we sailed Breeze and I noticed how little smoke I actually encountered.

The ports were perfect. We never encountered any negative issues and each port lived up to what we expected and had planned. I definitely look forward to visiting each port again and may have to do an all inclusive to Dreams in DR.

funfamilyof6,

Thank you.

Comparing entertainment on Liberty to Breeze is a bit more complicated than it may seem simply because Liberty has been evolving each time we've sailed her. On our first cruise they still had the steel drum bands live on Lido every day and by our second and third cruise they were phasing them out; they were still there, just not every day. Various entertainment acts were more prevalent throughout the ship years ago moreso than last year. Stage shows for the most part have been consistant; entertaining, but with room for improvement.

Activities staff on Liberty has always been outstanding, but Breeze would earn the advantage simply due to more venues for activities along with a much wider variety for all ages.

Smoking is allowed in the piano bar on Breeze, but I don't think it's allowed in the comedy club and if so not everywhere. I honestly never noticed the smoking on Liberty until we sailed Breeze and I noticed how little smoke I actually encountered.

The ports were perfect. We never encountered any negative issues and each port lived up to what we expected and had planned. I definitely look forward to visiting each port again and may have to do an all inclusive to Dreams in DR.

Yes, we definitely missed the steel drums last year on the Liberty.

The Breeze having more activites for "all ages" would be a big improvement for us! This was the biggest issue on the Liberty. The kids main experience on cruise ships was the Freedom of the Seas which had activities all day for them and none of this was on the Carnival Liberty last year. Since the cruise was very port intensive, it wasn't a big deal, but they were a little bored on the sea days. The pool slide did not interest them since it wasn't "fast" enough.

My kids ages next year will be 18, 17, 15, and 11. What type of activities did the Breeze offer??

Hi Paul - loving your review - also Liberty used to be my favorite ship - but now definitely love the Breeze.

Can you please confirm your comment about the smoking in the Piano Bar? I understand Carnival's new policy (as of a while ago) is no smoking in the piano bars on any ship? And of course when we were on the Breeze there was definitely no smoking there? Have they changed the rules!!!????

Edited by Froufie

funfamilyof6,

Thank you.

We were on the Breeze and smoking was NOT allowed in the piano bar.

I love reading your reviews, because it seems for the past few years that I get on the ship a few months after you get off, which makes it easy for you to finish your review! We are doing a different itinerary than you, but we did this itinerary a few years ago on the Miracle. We loved it! Keep up the great work!

What a wonderful review!! So good to see many great Breeze pictures! Makes me want to move up my Breeze cruise!

My friends and I went to South Beach on the Sat your sailing departed and watched as Breeze leaving the port. If I remember correctly Breeze was the last to leave. And we saw all those other beautiful ships! Norwegian Epic was just like a block all my friends insisted it was a building until we got closer! :D

Looking forward to the rest of this review.... in the meantime I went back and read your 2012 review. Same ports we have in November.

Thanks to your awesome review and pictures I went online and rented a cabana for our day in roatan. A perfect day ahead :D

By the way with 211 days until we sail, there are only 2 left.

(We've been there before and done the bodan tours and explored the island. )

Thanks for the inspiration.

Edited by poptart

Hi Paul - loving your review - also Liberty used to be my favorite ship - but now definitely love the Breeze.

Can you please confirm your comment about the smoking in the Piano Bar? I understand Carnival's new policy (as of a while ago) is no smoking in the piano bars on any ship? And of course when we were on the Breeze there was definitely no smoking there? Have they changed the rules!!!????

I'm interested in confirming this as well. I'm a non-smoker and despise smoke, but at least the piano bars were lively and happening back when smoking was allowed! The piano players were good and it was so much fun, it was worth the smoky clothes and scratchy throat!:eek::)

funfamilyof6,

Thank you.

When we were on the Breeze in January, there was no smoking in the piano bar. I would be very sad to hear they had changed that!!

Pat

...Paul, thanks so much for taking the time for this review.

...As you can see, we've sailed Carnival numerous times, and can confidentally say that our Breeze cruise was easily in our top two cruises! We wanted to try to cruise the Breeze again before Ron Pass (in the Piano Bar) leaves in June, but it's probably not going to happen.

...Again, thanks for letting us relive the Breeze through your lenses!

I didn't get a pic of him on his yacht, but I did get one of him at Cucina del Capitano;

8642107593_091d07d5a4_b.jpg

2013 Carnival Breeze Day 1 by paulmedik, on Flickr

Presumably, this is a photo of Micky Arison and Judi Dench, but who is the third person in this photo? Though logically, I would conclude he is the captain, I feel as though I recognize him as a Maitre'D from one of my cruises.