Halifax - Tour Question - Great Earth Expeditions

Hello All,

In researching Halifax tours to Peggy's Cove - and hoping to avoid SOME crowds since we will be one of 4 ships and two of over 8,000 cruise passengers on port that day, I came across:

Great Earth Expeditions via google and trip advisor (#2 rated). The Peggy's Cove rock walk looks really, really good. We are the 4th and last ship to arrive that day, and many tours are already booked. The owner e-mailed me right back and was very helpful.

Does anyone have comments or experience they can share?

I think they also for by E.A.R.T.H expeditions - Halifax. I copied part of their tour info below - any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia - Sightseeing, History, Hiking Tour

Home to a year round population of a mere 60 people, this little fishing village is one of the most photographed places in Canada. There is no shortage of history and eerie tales about this rugged exposed cove. Over the years the people here have had their share of ups and downs, including the tragedy of Swiss Air 111.

Join us as we venture through a landscape transformed some 12,000 years ago by glaciers. Hiking through the coastal barrens we will learn about the unique vegetation in this area and the wildlife that calls this stark landscape home. Keep your camera handy as you never know when you may spot a whale or seals playing just off the coast here.

Tour Details:

Tour Highlights:

Length: 2.0 km

Peggy's Cove Lighthouse

The Granite Barrens

Peggy's Cove Historic Village

Polly's Cove

Level of Difficulty: Easy

Duration: 4.5 hours

Price: $65.00/person (+Tax)*

Special Rates:

Children (under 13): 25% off

Students: Tax free

Seniors (60+): Tax free

I have heard of them but have no personal experience. I think this would make for a much more rewarding day than just following the crowds.

Here are the Trip Advisor reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g154976-d1875137-r144460847-Great_E_A_R_T_H_Expeditions-Halifax_Halifax_Regional_Municipality_Nova_Scotia.html

• 1 month later...

Hello,

My husband and I had the privilege to go out with Great Earth Expeditions last year. We research them beforehand and were impressed by the rave reviews on TripAdvisor. It was easily our favorite port excursion during our New England cruise. The owner Ryan was very helpful during the booking process through email and they picked us up right at the pier where the ship docked. Our guide was a delightful young man with much to tell regarding the history of Halifax and the hike was amazing.

We were so impressed that we starting considering plans to do another New England cruise this year and see the colors in Nova Scotia during their fall foliage.

This tour was well worth the price and we couldn't have been happier.

Thanks for posting your review. The fall colours peak in about the second week of October, but it varies from year to year and place to place.

If you are into music at all you may want to consider a land trip. Fly to Halifax. Drive to Cape Breton and take in the annual Celtic Colours festival. The scenery is fantastic and there are events all over Cape Breton.

http://www.celtic-colours.com/

If you decide to do this book your accommodation asap and get your tickets the day they come on sale, especially for the tiny venues.

You can read lots of reviews on Trip Advisor.

You will not find another tour operator like Great EARTH Expeditions in Nova Scotia. They travel all over the province and do 4 day trips around the Cabot Trail. The owner, Ryan, will get back to you the same day you show interest and his guides are born and raised young professionals full of knowledge and are excellent. Homemade banana bread!

Archived