Whale watching with a baby?

mpes53

EDIT: I found another thread that asked this very question. Mods please delete.

Although I was initially thinking there is no way this would work with our 8 month old, can anyone give me advice on whether this is doable, especially if we go on one of those big boats from Allen Marine Tours? We'll be going in May, and there will be only one other ship in port, if it helps.

You will need to be well prepared. And frankly, your perceptions of your baby's behavior, may not be reality based. Hopefully there will be at least 2 of you, so you can take turns whale watching. You won't be hanging over the rail, carrying the baby one of you will need to stay back.

The large boat is a better option, since there is more space. BUT, you are going to be trapped, with no way out. Again be WELL prepared for that.

EDIT: I found another thread that asked this very question. Mods please delete.

Although I was initially thinking there is no way this would work with our 8 month old, can anyone give me advice on whether this is doable, especially if we go on one of those big boats from Allen Marine Tours? We'll be going in May, and there will be only one other ship in port, if it helps.

Even if it is physically possible for you to take your 8 month old, consider the fact that babies tend to cry when they are unhappy, hungry, or for many other reasons. Often they cry for a long time and very loudly. It is not their fault - they are doing what babies do.

However, the rest of us will be cooped up on a small boat with no way of getting away from the noise. Before you had your child, how did you like it on an airplane when the person next to you had a child who cried the entire flight in spite of the frantic efforts of their parents to quiet them down?

That is what you may be subjecting the rest of us on the tour to and I can guarantee that many of us will have the same thoughts which I shall not write in this post.

DON

I have yet to book any excursions, but know full and well how much this one costs. In making your decision, please keep this in mind in consideration of the other passengers who will have paid that amount, probably for the only trip of its kind in their lifetimes. As a mother of two, if one of my children (even unpredictably) became ill-tempered or fussy or uncomfortable during the trip, I'd feel sick to my stomach over possibly having ruined the outing for everyone else on the boat. They would have no control over the situation and their loss. I'd not do it when my kids were that age just for the sake of others and the well-being of the child. Never in a million years.

Thank you for the information! Our kid might be a bit unique in that I have never seen her cry for more than 5 minutes, if that, no matter where she is, and milk or water calms her down immediately. The last few road trips I haven't even heard her cry at all. She loves stollers, car seats, carriers, and people have been telling me I'm raising a kid for free. I've even seen her being passed around to be hugged because she was the only baby who wasn't crying, or would cry.

I'm fully aware one of us will have to be inside, and thats fine. We probably won't go, but I do hope to call the day of the excursion to see if the 150 person boat is less than 30% full or something and wonder if it will be ok to sit in a corner.

Oh, how many parents have I heard say the same thing? "Mine rarely cries, and never for very long." :rolleyes:

I live near a major tourist destination and spend a lot of time there. Can't tell you how many times parents stand there like deer caught in the headlights while their child is wailing like a siren. Vacations are overwhelming to youngsters. Don't kid yourself...yours will be out of her element too. It's not an indictment, it's just how life works.

Save the excursion for when she's old enough to enjoy it with you. It's Alaska...you'll be back. :)

I'm fully aware one of us will have to be inside, and thats fine. We probably won't go, but I do hope to call the day of the excursion to see if the 150 person boat is less than 30% full or something and wonder if it will be ok to sit in a corner.

Some people choose to stay inside the cabin because they do not like the cold (it can be really cold when you consider the wind) and they will have the wonderful opportunity to enjoy being with your non-crying baby.

Have you taken the 8 month old on a trip recently. Remember that a baby's behavior can change quickly and often as they grow up and even if he does not cry now, that is no guarantee that he will not decide to cry on the excursion.

What do you plan to do if he decides to go on a crying jag when he is on the boat - there is no place that you can take him to spare the rest of the passengers from him.

DON

Oh, how many parents have I heard say the same thing? "Mine rarely cries, and never for very long." :rolleyes:

I live near a major tourist destination and spend a lot of time there. Can't tell you how many times parents stand there like deer caught in the headlights while their child is wailing like a siren. Vacations are overwhelming to youngsters. Don't kid yourself...yours will be out of her element too. It's not an indictment, it's just how life works.

Save the excursion for when she's old enough to enjoy it with you. It's Alaska...you'll be back. :)

Haha yes, I should put off blinders. Hopefully we'll see some whales from the ship.

Some people choose to stay inside the cabin because they do not like the cold (it can be really cold when you consider the wind) and they will have the wonderful opportunity to enjoy being with your non-crying baby.

Have you taken the 8 month old on a trip recently. Remember that a baby's behavior can change quickly and often as they grow up and even if he does not cry now, that is no guarantee that he will not decide to cry on the excursion.

What do you plan to do if he decides to go on a crying jag when he is on the boat - there is no place that you can take him to spare the rest of the passengers from him.

DON

Yes, at this point a private charter seems to be the way to go, if we can find one affordable enough. Hopefully we'll meet some other couples with kids who want to go whale watching :)

I'd have to consider the safety issues too with a wee one. Emergencies do happen (granted not often) but . . . As far as other people's kids, I try to be tolerant but a Hummer ride at the Grand Canyon was totally ruined for us when the other family with us had a kid prone to car sickness. They knew it as they brought airline barf bags with them (and she used them). Since that fiasco, I always think before taking grands along with us. Don't want to put others in a bad situation.

I agree with this. I think you are in serious denial about your baby. Really, if your baby rarely cries, than you need to take her to the doctor because something is not right. But, you are probably trying to fool yourself into believing your child is somehow better than the average (healthy) child. If you want to go to AK and bring your child, look into Disney. I would totally trust them with my child for a few hours while I was on an excursion of a lifetime.

Have you checked in on your roll call for your cruise? You might find other parents there that will be on your cruise and might jump at the chance of booking one of the smaller private excursions with you.

Yep, will probably check that all.

I agree with this. I think you are in serious denial about your baby. Really, if your baby rarely cries, than you need to take her to the doctor because something is not right. But, you are probably trying to fool yourself into believing your child is somehow better than the average (healthy) child. If you want to go to AK and bring your child, look into Disney. I would totally trust them with my child for a few hours while I was on an excursion of a lifetime.

If Disney didn't cost an arm and a leg, yes. And I believe my fast growing kid who loves eating, exploring, and laughing may be doing alright, despite your expert analysis. And I don't know where I said my kid was better, but very fine deduction, Mr Holmes.

If you're there at the right time of year you'll almost certainly see whales from the ship. Make sure you're up early; we missed seeing them bubble feeding because we slept in. Sad day!

If nothing else, you'll probaly see orca. We saw a lot of them just cruising the Inside Passage.

You've made a wise decision. :) Enjoy this beautiful, beautiful destination!

With the "whale watch" from a cruiseship suggestion, it is possible, BUT does require a good block of time, forward viewing. Some ships do have inside lounges, that fill up with "campers" so may have limited first row seating. A good pair of wide angle binoculars are necessary.

Orcas, are NOT that easily seen, humpbacks are more likely.

Do your homework, there are specific areas that have higher percentages of sightings. As an example, northbound going out of Vancouver, I am up and out at least 1/2 hour prior to dawn to get my chance for orcas. I am mostly out there by myself for a few hours. :)

We have five kids, now ranging in age from 22 down to 9, and have travelled extensively with all of them. For the most part they've all done really well. Put them in a backpack carrier and they were good to go and liked to do the driving ... as in they would pull ears, nose, etc. to get you to turn the direction they wanted to go or wanted you to look. LOL! We've hiked the back country in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, the Grand Canyon, etc with young ones in tow from baby to teens. You train them they learn.

That said, a boat or a plane can turn a normally good natured and adventuresome child into the creature from the black lagoon. Not every kid tolerates their middle ear being messed with by nature with good grace. You've seen how an adult can be when their tummy gets upset well multiply that by however many for a poor kid.

We had three kids that absolutely hated Pikes Peak as babies as well ... their breath would get stolen from them in the cold or the wind and it turns out they didn't like heights for a while.

We coped and managed - that's what parents do - but at the same time it was not the most pleasant experience for the kid or us. We managed to find a space away from other travelers so that we didn't infringe on their vacation but on a boat that will be asking for the impossible.

So for me I'd say great thought, probably something I would have wanted to do myself, but the feasibility is at question until you know how your kid is going to take the queasies of open water like you have with whale watching. I've seen parents dope their kids here in Florida so that they could go deep sea fishing, sightseeing, etc. but who really wants to drug their kid to see a whale's butt?

We have five kids, now ranging in age from 22 down to 9, and have travelled extensively with all of them. For the most part they've all done really well. Put them in a backpack carrier and they were good to go and liked to do the driving ... as in they would pull ears, nose, etc. to get you to turn the direction they wanted to go or wanted you to look. LOL! We've hiked the back country in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, the Grand Canyon, etc with young ones in tow from baby to teens. You train them they learn.

That said, a boat or a plane can turn a normally good natured and adventuresome child into the creature from the black lagoon. Not every kid tolerates their middle ear being messed with by nature with good grace. You've seen how an adult can be when their tummy gets upset well multiply that by however many for a poor kid.

We had three kids that absolutely hated Pikes Peak as babies as well ... their breath would get stolen from them in the cold or the wind and it turns out they didn't like heights for a while.

We coped and managed - that's what parents do - but at the same time it was not the most pleasant experience for the kid or us. We managed to find a space away from other travelers so that we didn't infringe on their vacation but on a boat that will be asking for the impossible.

So for me I'd say great thought, probably something I would have wanted to do myself, but the feasibility is at question until you know how your kid is going to take the queasies of open water like you have with whale watching. I've seen parents dope their kids here in Florida so that they could go deep sea fishing, sightseeing, etc. but who really wants to drug their kid to see a whale's butt?

I still get breathy at Pikes Peak lol Cripple Creek too! It gives me a headache and makes from a miserable day!

Archived