Live Blog: Norwegian Breakaway Inaugural Transatlantic Cruise!

philamike

If I had to chose just 2 restaurants to make reservations, would you say Ocean Blue and Cagney's?

Which shows do you think would be best?

Do you think the reservations should be while on the sea or when we are in Bermuda?

Thanks

val523

Mike, I have a silly question. I 've heard there are no drawers in the cabins. Is this true? I thought I saw on one pic they had drawers under the sleeper sofa. Thanks!

Yes that's true -- no drawers, but there are shelves and other places for storage (including a cabinet on the side of the desk). I did notice drawers under the sofa in a balcony room, and as already noted, it held the bedding for the sofa bed.

- Mike :-)

Your photo review was Absolutely Outstanding with all sorts of great details.

Did you get a pic of the hallway with the door open...just wondering how much of the hallway it used...also did the door stay open or did you have to hold it open...could the door be opened rapidly or did it only open slowly?

I'm guessing the reason for the interior hallways was to not have doors on both sides of the hallways open...Looking at the deck plans on your deck 11, I noticed that there were 2 interior cabin hallways, rather than just one like yours, toward the bow with the cabins length going fore to aft.

Glad I found your review post, and began looking for more based on your signature info. :):):):)

Take a look at this pic of the hallway: Inside Cabin Hallway

You'll see "alcoves" where there are a pair of cabin doors. So when the doors swing out, they don't enter the hallway space at all. (The doors are also a little narrow.)

The one area that has two interior hallways is the studio cabins. Otherwise there is only the single hallway for interior cabins.

If I had to chose just 2 restaurants to make reservations, would you say Ocean Blue and Cagney's?

Which shows do you think would be best?

Do you think the reservations should be while on the sea or when we are in Bermuda?

Thanks

val523

Well, the restaurants are a matter of preference, I think. You can't go wrong with Cagney's (assuming you like steak). Ocean Blue is quite an experience, but it does have a significant upcharge. (Still cheaper than eating at his restaurant in NYC though.) I've always enjoyed Teppanyaki (which I didn't do on this cruise) -- not only for the fun dinner experience, but because the food was freshly prepared and always tastes great.

If you can take advantage of outdoor seating on the Waterfront while at sea, I'd recommend trying that. Something that wasn't an option on the chilly north Atlantic...

Take a look at this pic of the hallway: Inside Cabin Hallway

You'll see "alcoves" where there are a pair of cabin doors. So when the doors swing out, they don't enter the hallway space at all. (The doors are also a little narrow.)

The one area that has two interior hallways is the studio cabins. Otherwise there is only the single hallway for interior cabins.

Not sure if I like the 'alcove' design...if you think about it, those 'alcoves' are taking a bit of precious space away from the inside of your cabin. On the other hand, I suppose that alcove allows them to make the passageways narrower, with the alcove's to allow people to pass each other and/or service carts. So with narrower passageways, more space for the cabins.....

Not sure if I like the 'alcove' design...if you think about it, those 'alcoves' are taking a bit of precious space away from the inside of your cabin. On the other hand, I suppose that alcove allows them to make the passageways narrower, with the alcove's to allow people to pass each other and/or service carts. So with narrower passageways, more space for the cabins.....

For us on deck 8 ... even though the hallways were more narrow ... it felt like we had more space in our cabin ... and I didn't have to worry about hitting anyone when I opened my door ... so we actually liked it quite a bit :)

But until I experienced it ... I too was hesitant about the change .. although it turned out to be nicer for us ;)

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful blog!!! Hubby and I will be sailing 3 weeks from today and I am soooo excited as I have never been to Bermuda, never sailed on a brandy new ship, and never taken a cruise where we could drive to the port :) We have an M9 cabin.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow! Thanks you so much for your time and effort in putting all this out here. I had a great time reading this thread.

We did our first transatlantic on the Star in April and had the time of our lives! Such a mellow cruise, sunny at sea.

All the best! - Aaron

• 8 months later...
Thank You!!! I will be doing the Maiden voyage of The Getaway in January. I can not decide whether to spend a night in London or go straight to Southampton. Any thoughts. I will be coming from the Pacific Northwest.

Mandy

Just started reading this thread, so don't know if anyone answered your question, but for anyone else looking for the same information I would suggest spending a night in London, then going on to London the next day. After a journey travelling from the west coast I am always jet lagged, and would not want to have to travel from Heathrow down to Southampton having just completed the air flight from the States.

There are a couple of good airport hotels, which are fine for just getting a night's sleep. Then you can take the train or bus to Southampton the next day.