NCL Spirit Med Cruise Q&A

Could you describe the procedure for how the cruise handles passports at each port? From what I have read, they have your passport the entire cruise. My wife is very concerned by this. Is that true? Does that prove to be an issue with any of the excursions or at any of the ports/cities/sights visited? Thanks

Tim

Passports were collected when we checked in at the Port before boarding. We were given a form as a receipt. Passports were collected on the last day (sea day). We were given time frames to pick them up from the theater based on our deck. It was all very easy. No issues at any of the ports. We carried copies of our passports and IDs with us at all times and didn't need them once.

I am so excited to see a thread about the Spirit. I just booked the May 6th cruise but starting in Venice and ending in Barcelona. I read somewhere that it's a good idea because of the overnight in Venice and the sea day ..all of which help with jet lag from flying in from the States.

My question is does the ship do a money exchange or do we need to get euros at home before we go?

I am really looking forward to seeing the Blessed Mother's house. I love stuff like that.

There is a money exchange on the ship but we didn't use it. I think there is an extra fee involved, like $10 per transaction, maybe. Don't quote me on that! I know my DH researched it and exchanging our money at the bank before we left seemed the way to go.

The house of the virgin mary was very neat to visit.

I am so excited to see a thread about the Spirit. I just booked the May 6th cruise but starting in Venice and ending in Barcelona. I read somewhere that it's a good idea because of the overnight in Venice and the sea day ..all of which help with jet lag from flying in from the States.

My question is does the ship do a money exchange or do we need to get euros at home before we go?

I am really looking forward to seeing the Blessed Mother's house. I love stuff like that.

I wouldn't use the ships currency exchange given past experience the rate isn't good. When I visit Europe I tend to use my debit card in cash machines and the rate is reasonable. Having been to Venice a few times I can assure you you will have no difficulty finding a machine. Have a great trip, Venice is wonderful:)

Curious also what you did at each port....also, was this Barcelona to Venice or the reverse? Would like to hear how the overnight in Venice worked?

Great places to eat on the ship?

Did you go past Stromboli?

Any special things that the ship does? Theme parties etc?

Did you participate in a dress up night?

Thanks!

We were also on this trip, an amazing vacation.

In Toulon we rented a car $65.00 euro's and a 20 Euro taxi ride to and from the rental office. We went to Aix Provence & Cassis. beautiful.

In Italy we used Romeinlimo. Well worth the extra $$. The guides help you skip all the lines and they know everything.

Istanbul we also walked. Very crowded city and the shop owners are very pushy. Beautful Mosques, went to the Palace and the markets.

Izmir we did a private tour and went to Ephasus and the house of the Virgin Mary, Amazing..... We even ran into Rick Steeves in Ephasus.

Greece walked in Mykinos and took the subway in Athens into the city.

It was a fabulous itinerary. This was our first NCL cuise. Spirt is a beautiful ship. Food was ok, did not like the Freestyle, just felt like a restaurant any where. Breakfest buffet was boring, orange juice and bacon are awful.

The bar staff is fabulous. They will call you by name in just a few days. We are not big drinkers but found ourselves playing trivia and having a drink after a long day out in the ports.

Curious also what you did at each port....also, was this Barcelona to Venice or the reverse? Would like to hear how the overnight in Venice worked?

Thanks!

Curious also what you did at each port

I will cover this in detail later. :)

....also, was this Barcelona to Venice or the reverse? Would like to hear how the overnight in Venice worked?

Barcelona to Venice. In Venice on the first day, there was no official time you needed to be back on the ship. We stayed out until around 10pm. But, Around midnight I looked out and noticed the gangway was removed, so maybe there was an official time to be back, or maybe they noticed everyone was on board so they removed the gangway. Can't be sure.

We liked Windows and Blue Lagoon.

I'm not sure what this is ... so I can't say for sure!

There were a few themes - latin night, toga party, 50's night, the white party. We didn't participate in any of them.

No. But if I recall there were three formal nights.

Was there a day for a laundry special? If so, what was the cost and was it the standard white paper laundry bag to use?

There were two. I want to say, off the top of my head, Day 4 and Day 9 or 10. $24.95 and yes, it's the standard white bag. Your room attendant leaves it all on the bed for you, and then it's delivered in two days, folded, in a wicker basket. One word of caution - a lot of our clothes' color faded, which was really disappointing.

Curious also what you did at each port

I will cover this in detail later. :)

....also, was this Barcelona to Venice or the reverse? Would like to hear how the overnight in Venice worked?

Barcelona to Venice. In Venice on the first day, there was no official time you needed to be back on the ship. We stayed out until around 10pm. But, Around midnight I looked out and noticed the gangway was removed, so maybe there was an official time to be back, or maybe they noticed everyone was on board so they removed the gangway. Can't be sure.

We liked Windows and Blue Lagoon.

I'm not sure what this is ... so I can't say for sure!

There were a few themes - latin night, toga party, 50's night, the white party. We didn't participate in any of them.

No. But if I recall there were three formal nights.

Stromboli is an active volcano north of Sicily. On my RCI Med cruise we passed it about 1am and you could see it erupting....there was a deck party with volcano drinks :) Thought it would be fun for my DD to see.

Togas....well, not my thing but ill be traveling with 18 year old girls. Was it a bar thing or a deck party...do you recall?

Stromboli is an active volcano north of Sicily. On my RCI Med cruise we passed it about 1am and you could see it erupting....there was a deck party with volcano drinks :) Thought it would be fun for my DD to see.

Togas....well, not my thing but ill be traveling with 18 year old girls. Was it a bar thing or a deck party...do you recall?

We passed through the Strait of Messina at 4am; the captain made an announcement about it the evening before. Needless to say, we missed it. :rolleyes: So I don't know if the volcano was active/visible.

Best I can recall, all parties were in the Galaxy of the Stars, and I don't know if there is an age limit there. I never saw young kids, but I saw some teens/ young adults and it didn't seem like anyone was checking ID or anything.

How did disembarktion go in Venice? Were you able to walk-off on your own at any time? We are thinking of self-disembarking to catch an 11:40am flight. When I called NCL about this, they didn't seem to think this would be a problem.

Thanks!

How did disembarktion go in Venice? Were you able to walk-off on your own at any time? We are thinking of self-disembarking to catch an 11:40am flight. When I called NCL about this, they didn't seem to think this would be a problem.

Thanks!

I think disembarkation was between 7:30 and 9:30am. As I understand it, you can walk off any time between these times if you are carrying your own luggage. If you want to check your luggage, you have to pick up luggage tags the day before in the atrium area. The tags are color coded for a window of time.

However, I know some people who had 7am flights and had to be off the ship around 4am, and this was accommodated, but I don't know the details.

I think disembarkation was between 7:30 and 9:30am. As I understand it, you can walk off any time between these times if you are carrying your own luggage. If you want to check your luggage, you have to pick up luggage tags the day before in the atrium area. The tags are color coded for a window of time.

However, I know some people who had 7am flights and had to be off the ship around 4am, and this was accommodated, but I don't know the details.

Speaking of Venice -- our itinerary also does the overnight -- we were wondering if the ship required all passengers to be back on board at a certain time that first night? Not saying we're going to, but if we stay out late, do you know if we can just come back whenever we want? Or is there some kind of curfew? Thanks!!

Speaking of Venice -- our itinerary also does the overnight -- we were wondering if the ship required all passengers to be back on board at a certain time that first night? Not saying we're going to, but if we stay out late, do you know if we can just come back whenever we want? Or is there some kind of curfew? Thanks!!

When we overnighted in Venice, you could come and go as you please. No curfew.

I addressed this on page 2.

In Venice on the first day, there was no official time you needed to be back on the ship. We stayed out until around 10pm. But, Around midnight I looked out and noticed the gangway was removed, so maybe there was an official time to be back, or maybe they noticed everyone was on board so they removed the gangway. Can't be sure.

Thanks for taking the time to help the rest off us out, in spite of all the catching up I'm sure you have to do.

We are on the same itinerary in a couple of months and I was wondering about the time changes. How many are there and are they on the sea days? Are they mentioned clearly in the dailies, etc? Thanks!

We are on the Venice to Barcelona version of this cruise, leaving on July 10. Can't wait to read your review and the ones to follow. :D

Did you take the commuter train to DIY in Rome? I know you mentioned there were quite a few ships in port and it was crowded. Was there any issues with catching the train there or back? Did you have to stand on the way back? What station did you board for the return journey?

Thanks for taking the time to help the rest off us out, in spite of all the catching up I'm sure you have to do.

We are on the same itinerary in a couple of months and I was wondering about the time changes. How many are there and are they on the sea days? Are they mentioned clearly in the dailies, etc? Thanks!

Yes. Forward one hour on the sea day between Naples and Mykonos, then back one hour between Athens and Venice. It's on the front page of the daily but you have to read the whole thing to find it! Many people missed it and were confused, but at least the times changes were on sea days.

We are on the Venice to Barcelona version of this cruise, leaving on July 10. Can't wait to read your review and the ones to follow. :D

Did you take the commuter train to DIY in Rome? I know you mentioned there were quite a few ships in port and it was crowded. Was there any issues with catching the train there or back? Did you have to stand on the way back? What station did you board for the return journey?

Yes, the commuter train. No issues with catching the train, it ran on time. I stood the way there, and got a seat after a couple stops on the way back. For the return, I boarded at the station closest to the Vatican (the name escapes me, sorry).

Our room stewart left a card at the nightly room turn-down, reminding us to change our clocks forward, and back, as well as in the daily.:)

If you get Charles, he also does wonderful towel animals, and taught my wife how to make them. :);)