Which tour to pick for Barcelona?

Hi Everyone

Taking my 1st ever cruise in July on the NCL Epic and we have a one day stop in Barcelona. I have never been before and the ship tours that NCL offer don't particulary interest me at all.

Ideally we'd like to enjoy a nice tapas lunch, some live music, stroll down Las Ramblas and perhaps see a couple of the key sights. Knowing what the heat is like during Europe in July, we don't want to be out all day, and ideally probably 3 to 4 hours max. It is a Sunday when we are in Port.

Is it worth getting a private guide? Or would you recommend the hop on hop off bus? Better to pre buy tickets for it or just on the day? Taxis available from the port to the city?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

For Barcelona you do not need a tour or a guide. It is a very easy city to see on your own.

One suggestion, as it is a Sunday, is to go to the cathedral (the one in the Gothic Quarter) around noon. You will see people dancing the Sardana (the dance of Catalunya) in the square outside the cathedral.

Picture206.jpg

If you are interested in this, and you don't mind a bit of walking, my suggestion would be ...

Take the blue port shuttle bus (€3 per person return) to Columbus Monument

Walk up Las Ramblas to Plaça Catalunya (the main square of Barcelona).

Turn right into the square then, at the far corner of the square, turn right into Avinguda Portal de l'Àngel (opposite El Corte Inglés department store).

Follow this road and you will come to the Cathedral.

Total walking distance about 1.5 miles and would take around 30-40 minutes leisurely walk.

If you want something to eat there is an interesting restaurant in the square near the cathedral called Bilbao Berria. They serve pinchos (Catalan pintxos - like small tapas on a cocktail stick). It is very popular and can get very busy.

Here is their website. There is also an interesting video to give you some idea what it is like.

To return to the ship from the cathedral ...

Walk down Carrer Boters (by Bilbao Berria. This leads straight into Carrer Portaferrissa which takes you back to Las Ramblas.

Walk back down Las Ramblas to Columbus Monument to get the shuttle bus back to the ship.

Total walking distance about 1 mile and would take about 15-20 minutes to the bus.

If you would also like to see Plaça Reial, when walking back down Las Ramblas, turn left into Carrer Colom (almost opposite Hotel Oriente).

With all this you would get to see Las Ramblas, Plaça Catalunya, the Cathedral (possibly the dancing) and Plaça Reial.

If you want suggestions for other things to do have a look at my Barcelona Information pages (link in my signature).

Archived