Carnival wine package - worth pre buying?

Hi there

We're on our first Carnival cruise in July (Sunshine 12-nighter from Barcelona :)) and I wondered whether it was worth buying a wine package? Are there genuine savings versus on board/individual bottle prices, and if so should we buy it before the cruise?

We often share a bottle between us at dinner each night.

We've bought packages at fair prices before boarding on RCCL but it seems more difficult to do this on the Carnival site or find the info on how to buy. Besides, it makes the bar bill look smaller at the end of your cruise if you pre-buy!

Views welcome!

Thanks

Hi there

We're on our first Carnival cruise in July (Sunshine 12-nighter from Barcelona :)) and I wondered whether it was worth buying a wine package? Are there genuine savings versus on board/individual bottle prices, and if so should we buy it before the cruise?

We've bought packages at fair prices before boarding on RCCL but it seems more difficult to do this on the Carnival site or find the info on how to buy. Besides, it makes the bar bill look smaller at the end of your cruise if you pre-buy!

Views welcome!

Thanks

We have done the premium wine package almost every sailing since it came out. Once we did the mid tier. They say it saves you 25%. Never did the math. Only time I was not happy was when the "ran out" of the premium Pinot Noir. We made another selection but was a bit miffed. They will cork it and take it away and bring it back the next night if you don't finish it. Never had that problem tho....

Hi there

Views welcome!

Thanks

We always get the wine package or two. I recommend not pre-buying or buying while you are still in port as you will be charged sales tax of the local of purchase. Wait until the ship is out to sea the first night and then purchase.

We bought two 5 bottle wine packages during our Miracle repositioning cruise (15 days). We bought the least expensive ($114) package. On the last evening we bought a single bottle from our waiter. Later, I calculated we saved $2.30 by buying the package.

Still, it is more convenient to just hand your waiter a coupon every evening rather than have them process your S & S card. As busy as the waiters are nowadays every little thing helps I guess.

Should be the same price on ship or in advance. In Europe, depending on the ship itinerary they may or may not charge VAT. Usually if you have a port outside of the EU (like Dubrovnik), they won't.

We often will just carry on wine in European ports. Sometimes they might confiscate for the remainder of the cruise but we haven't experienced that.

We board the Carnival Sunshine in 10 days!

We have done the premium wine package almost every sailing since it came out. Once we did the mid tier. They say it saves you 25%. Never did the math. Only time I was not happy was when the "ran out" of the premium Pinot Noir. We made another selection but was a bit miffed. They will cork it and take it away and bring it back the next night if you don't finish it. Never had that problem tho....

jimbo, aren't you familiar with the old adage? You made a commitment when the bottle was opened and you have to finish it.:D

We often will just carry on wine in European ports. Sometimes they might confiscate for the remainder of the cruise but we haven't experienced that.

I second this. We brought wine on board that we purchased in Venice, as well as Messina (our last 2 ports), figuring if it gets confiscated, we could always drink it when we got back to Barcelona. We made no attempt to hide it and they passed it through security without saying a word.

I just wish we had realized it earlier in the cruise as it would have been nice to bring some from Provence and Tuscany! ;)

We've purchased the wine package (premium) on 4 of our last five cruises. Saved about $25-30 each time when compared to ordering separately. Last time we didn't because we wanted a broader list to select from. Enjoyed being able to pick from a much more varied list and unlikely to do the package again.

I can't find a wine package on the Carnival site. Can you tell me where it is?

Thanks.

I don't believe you can pre-order it thru bon voyage. You can buy individual bottles thru bon voyage but not the package (I believe although I could be wrong). We've always bought them in the atrium on embarkation day.

433755988_winepackage.jpg.66db479103c9154d9ff50263eb4cb735.jpg

I don't believe you can pre-order it thru bon voyage. You can buy individual bottles thru bon voyage but not the package (I believe although I could be wrong). We've always bought them in the atrium on embarkation day.

If you wait till dinner and order from the head waiter I think he gets the tips on the sale.

We too are on the 7th July sailing, it will be our first on Carnival!

We got a good deal on a Spa grade stateroom but I might ask our TA whether there are any deals on upgrades as it's our anniversary when we're on board. I'm not sure how this works if you've already paid up though.

Thanks all for your fab replies, looks like we'll take our bottle each on embarkation, then order through the wine steward in MDR so they can get the tips instead of Carnival.

I've been doing some sums and I don't think we could drink consistently for 12 night to warrant the Cheers program. Maybe 5 nights but not 12!!

If you wait till dinner and order from the head waiter I think he gets the tips on the sale.

This is a good point - I have wondered exactly who got the tip When we have bought the package - the waiter had our coupons when we went to the MDR and seemed pleased so I've always assumed he may have gotten a piece of the tip.

This is a good point - I have wondered exactly who got the tip When we have bought the package - the waiter had our coupons when we went to the MDR and seemed pleased so I've always assumed he may have gotten a piece of the tip.

That is exactly how I found out. Someone in our group who was sitting at our table bought in the main lobby upon embarkation. Later in the week, I had the opportunity to discuss with the head waiter who implied it without stating it.

Archived