casual dress on river cruise

wine-lady

My Hubbie and I are travelling on the Viking Freya Gr. European Tour in July 2013. There was a mention of tank tops that someone wore in a previous post. What are your recommendations for dress in the summer for breakfast or lounging on the sun deck? I think a tank top would be ok then since it will be summer and hot. Also my husband has a few pairs of colourful board shorts knee length that are really comfortable. Thoughts? Also do ladies have to have their shoulders covered in any of the churches. I usually like to wear tank tops and shorts during the summer and want to be comfortable and cool when travelling. Thanks Linda

My Hubbie and I are travelling on the Viking Freya Gr. European Tour in July 2013. There was a mention of tank tops that someone wore in a previous post. What are your recommendations for dress in the summer for breakfast or lounging on the sun deck? I think a tank top would be ok then since it will be summer and hot. Also my husband has a few pairs of colourful board shorts knee length that are really comfortable. Thoughts? Also do ladies have to have their shoulders covered in any of the churches. I usually like to wear tank tops and shorts during the summer and want to be comfortable and cool when travelling. Thanks Linda

Don't know about our ship but shorts and tank tops are not appropriate in cities or churches in Europe.

You will not be admitted to a church in Europe in a halter top or a tank top or shorts. I saw a young lady last May in Venice wait for about 20 minutes to get into St Marks only to be turned away at the door.

No knees or shoulders are allowed in churches in Europe, and it is enforced.

You will not be admitted to a church in Europe in a halter top or a tank top or shorts. I saw a young lady last May in Venice wait for about 20 minutes to get into St Marks only to be turned away at the door.
Certainly not true in France. Neither my wife nor I were refused admittance to any church there while dressed in shorts (July), nor were we alone in being so attired.

Whats a "tank top"? To us its a sleeveless knitted wool jumper (often fairisle pattern) a sort of 1940s thing. That cant be the same thing you`re all talking about?

Sleeveless top - usually with a round or v-neck --> often in cotton material.

Shoulder straps vary in width.

Fran

No knees or shoulders are allowed in churches in Europe, and it is enforced.

No problem on the ship, though, except for dinner, when you'll want to be a little more dressed up.

On our tour (Eastern Europe) I actually had sleeveless tops on for a couple of churches with no problems. And none of the churches we visited required the women to cover their heads. Men are encouraged to remove their hats.

I know St. Mark's in Venice is strict - but when we were there they actually handed up large squares of paper so that women could cover their shoulders.

Most churches in Russia are quite strict - but they would always inform you of that in the port talk the night before.

On our last cruise (home yesterday) I found the dress code to be the most relaxed of any so far. Don't think I was one jacket in the dining room!!!

Fran

My Hubbie and I are traveling on the Viking Freya Gr. European Tour in July 2013. There was a mention of tank tops that someone wore in a previous post. What are your recommendations for dress in the summer for breakfast or lounging on the sun deck? I think a tank top would be ok then since it will be summer and hot. Also my husband has a few pairs of colourful board shorts knee length that are really comfortable. Thoughts? Also do ladies have to have their shoulders covered in any of the churches. I usually like to wear tank tops and shorts during the summer and want to be comfortable and cool when traveling. Thanks Linda

Both of the Viking cruises that my husband and I have enjoyed have been in the spring or autumn, not in summer so my response may not address the hot weather issue. However, while I agree that comfort is a factor, a larger issue is decorum and consideration for fellow passengers. Traveling alone as a couple is one thing, but group travel is another and I would think more modest and attractive clothing than tank tops and board shorts would be appropriate and appreciated by others, especially on tours and at meals.

We were on the Rhine and Rhone last year in August and the temperature peaked at 42degC on the Rhone and never got below 27 until we hit Monaco! Lots of ladies were in sleeveless tops but with a higher neckline on our shore excursions, including to several churches. Lots wore shorts to about the knee as well. Back on board several wore singlet type tops and I never heard any adverse comments. It was just lovely to be cooler!

Most men wore shorts during the day but changed into long pants for the evening. I don't remember any men in singlet or tank tops though.

If you are worried,wear a sleeveless top but take a very light silk or cotton wrap with you to put over your shoulders. It might be good to ward off the sun too! Several people got a touch of the sun on our trip.

And then there was the 70 something man on our cruise who visited the coffee/tea/pastry bar each morning wearing NO SHIRT AT ALL! What was he thinking?!? Oh, my! Personally I feel that when in Europe do as the Europeans do and dress with decorum and consideration for all around you. Shorts and tank tops are NOT attractive on anyone but the most young and fit, and my thirty something very fit daughters are in total agreement with me on that one! It is possible to be comfortable and stylish and sensible all at the same time. The Chico and Coldwater Creek catalogues are full of examples!

Shorts and tank tops are NOT attractive on anyone but the most young and fit ...
I think your proscription against shorts is pretty extreme. I'm 60 and only moderately fit, but get no complaints when I wear well-fitting Bermuda shorts and a collared polo shirt on tour. Of course, one needs to take local mores in mind, as what's appropriate in Normandy or Frankfurt may be unacceptable in Bulgaria.

On the ship, casual is the rule, even on the more "formal" nights. For breakfast and lunch, shorts are ok. For dinner, slacks and a shirt are ok. On our cruise, some people wore nice jeans at dinner -- in fairness, it was quite cold at the time. Some people dress up a bit more but it was MUCH more casual than an ocean cruise.

The above is not to suggest that torn, ratty jeans or T-shirts are good ideas for dinner -- respect the crew and your fellow guests. Rather, you don't need to dress up to fit in.

For churches in Europe . . . why take the chance on not being able to go in b/c you're wearing the wrong thing? Viking is pretty good about telling passengers what you need to wear so, if you attend the briefing the night before, you'll be set.

For women, you can always bring a shawl/scarf to place over your shoulders. I'd wear lightweight pants or "longer" skirts. In fairness, I wore a skirt that came to the top of my knees and a shirt with capped sleeves when visiting the Vatican (not a river cruise) and had no issues. If it looks "modest," you'll likely be OK.

I do agree that you can be turned away for improper dress -- I've seen it many times. It can depend on the country, the individual church, and the person who is making the decisions. If you want to see the church, play it safe. If you want to wear tank tops and shorts, forego the church visit.

When we went on our Grand European Tour from Budapest to Amsterdam last summer there was no noticeable dress code in any of the churches in any of the countries. It was 100 degrees and almost everyone was wearing shorts and many of the women were wearing sleeveless tops. No one was stopped going in. I did notice that people were dressed up more to go to an actual service, but if they were just touring through they dressed for the hot weather. Men were asked to take off hats but that's it.

You can dress however you want on the ship.

The only place that had 'strict dress codes' for churches was in Italy. St. Peter's in Rome had a guard at the door and would not permit those with tank tops or shorts to enter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived