Is the spa pass worth it?

DMLyons

Actually, something that hasn't been mentioned here, I think it might depend on what kind of room you have. We are getting a pass on our cruise on the Dawn in July, because it's a budget cruise (okay, the truth is, it's not in the budget, but the prices were so good I went for it) and we have an inside guarantee. With an inside guarantee room, we'll want to be in the spa for space, peace, quiet, views as well as the usual spa amenities.

Last March, we had an aft facing balcony room on the Jewel. We got the pass, and my husband still loved it, but for me, I just wanted to sit on my balcony for peace, quiet, relaxation and views.

We're not beach people either - although we think we'll be ashore two days in Bermuda, because we're history buffs and I'm excited about pouring through the towns, and I think I really need "high tea" at the Fairmont :)

So just saying, think about your spa needs in relationship to your room. If you have a room without a balcony, definitely go for the spa pass. If you have a balcony, you're really going to want to take the tour and see if the amenities are for you - they do have a lap pool, I think, which you might find really handy for your exercise, I can't see you getting the time you want in the regular pool every day.

Have lots of fun and congrats on your big celebration!

Good morning.

We went on the Dawn in Feb. and are returning in August. My husband and I bought the spa pass, which was available to buy right in the main atrium as you entered the ship. I am very fair, and enjoyed lounging at the spa without worrying about burning like a crisp. I did not have to worry about wearing a hat or reapplying sunscreen. It was very quiet when we went, which was each day, and at different times of the day. They had a very small area with coffee and tea, and I think some cold water. Our experience was that is was very quiet, so much so that we fell asleep a few times! Only one day there was a couple who were talking a little loudly, but they did not stay for long. There are signs that it is a quiet zone.

I also have to say I had purchased several treatments at the spa which were very nice. Josephine was professional and fantastic. I am anxiously awaiting our August vacation and the time I will spend at the spa. ;)

I hope you will enjoy the Dawn as much as we did.

We were on the Dawn over Thanksgiving 2012, and the spa pass was $119 for the week - not sure if it has gone up or not.

The Dawn's spa does not have the heated tile loungers, but it does have a variety chairs for reading, resting, sleeping, etc. Some are in the main area and some are in separate male and female quiet areas. There is a table set up with ice water, juice, and hot water for tea - I didn't see coffee. They had a selection of herbal teas as well as regular tea.

The lap pool is very nice, but also shallow, ranging from about 3 - 4 feet. Nice for slow swimming or walking in water - not sure what type of exercise you want to do, but it also had a handrail around it. I liked it, but I'm not exactly an Olympic swimmer, lol. I loved looking up - the ceiling about has pretty sparkling lights, like stars.:)

In addition to the lap pool and seating area, there is a regular hot tub - seemed hotter than the ones on the main pool deck. There is also the thalassotherapy pool - it's like a hot tub that you can lay in. The jets massage all along your body - heavenly.

As others have mentioned, there are showers, a sauna, and steam room in the locker room area - the men's locker room also had a cold plunge pool. The showers are bigger than in the regular staterooms.

My family (2 adult children, my husband, and I) really liked it, and we used it almost every day. The only day it wasn't "quiet" was the last day - a sea day - it wasn't really noisy, I just think a lot more people were trying to get in one last use before the cruise ended (and that's exactly what we were all doing, too, lol).

We bought the spa pass while on the tour on the first day - definitely recommend checking it out (there are also some good pictures on CC if you search for them). We had a balcony cabin, and my kids had an inside cabin - I definitely would go for the spa pass if I had booked just an inside. It also gave us access to a couple extra places to shower when we were all getting ready to go somewhere.

I had a spa pass on the jewel and the gem

For the most part I enjoyed the spa except for the last sailing on the gem

There was a group of very loud foreigners who screamed at each other every time they spoke

They had no regard for anyone in terms of speaking softly or anything else

It was very annoying to all in the spa

We had a spa pass on a back to back on the Carnival Dream and I didn't feel like we got our moneys worth, if you don't do the ports and stay on board then it is great, but we got off the ship at every port and really didn't us it much , a few times when we did it was too crowded to enjoy the therapy pool much

Archived