Black Bay Beach & Park

royal girl

We stayed at a apartment on Middle road facing Hamilton Harbor. A very nice location near Salt Kettle. And the price was the same, $120 a night.

We used Bermuda rentals also and they were terrific, very easy to deal with. Fiona Campbell straightened out few minor details quickly and we had a marvelous time. The kitchen was a big money saver, and the owner was kind enough to have the maid do a wash for us. It was about 15% more than a cruise because you have to factor in the food cost and airfare. But as Paul says you get 7 days in Bermuda. Well worth considering as an option

As for doing wash for you...we arrived late on a Sunday night and nothing close was open -- and we weren't getting our rental scooter until the next morning. We hadn't had dinner -- so the property owner took the time to put together a nice snack for us! That set the tone for the entire week -- I knew it was going to be a great vacation.

As for doing wash for you...we arrived late on a Sunday night and nothing close was open -- and we weren't getting our rental scooter until the next morning. We hadn't had dinner -- so the property owner took the time to put together a nice snack for us! That set the tone for the entire week -- I knew it was going to be a great vacation.

Exactly Paul, little things like offering a wash or a snack set the tone. You know you mean more than a dollar sign. And like you we had a great vacation

jeansaussie1- If you are planning to go to Sea Glass Beach too, bring your snorkeling stuff with you. We did last year and my husband saw some nice fish out there. But... everyone... BRING WATER SHOES!!! The beach is covered in sea glass... obviously! :p And once you enter the water, there are tons of rocks and "stuff" that you have to walk over until you get to some nice sand and then you can swim a little or snorkle.

I guess we could've walked a little further to Black Bay Beach, but we didn't know about it. But we will this time! Have fun! :)

Thanks for the advice Writer at sea and Royal girl. Will definately plan on going the last short day we are docked (Thursday with Breakaway and Summit in port)

Writeratsea - was there a large crowd at Black Bay or is it still relatively undiscovered?

Thanks for the advice Writer at sea and Royal girl. Will definately plan on going the last short day we are docked (Thursday with Breakaway and Summit in port)

Writeratsea - was there a large crowd at Black Bay or is it still relatively undiscovered?

So far it is undiscovered. I almost don't want to say much about it and save it just for me LOL. But it is a near the dockyard and sea glass beach so the location is great, Just a few people here and there, but I think it is going to grow. The man running it, has a lot of great ideas. And he is pricing things very reasonable. I bought 2 cold sodas, 2 packages of Oreo cookies, 2 bags of Cracker Jack and 2 nutrition bars. He charged me $10. Chairs and umbrellas were $5 each. What else can I say

Bermuda is a very friendly island. I have been there five times and looking forward to going back.

Take comments to articles with a grain of salt, or maybe a spoonful. Some people love being negative. Just read some posts on CC.;)

I too miss docking in Hamilton. Much more central location to get around.

Bermuda is a very friendly island. I have been there five times and looking forward to going back.

Take comments to articles with a grain of salt, or maybe a spoonful. Some people love being negative. Just read some posts on CC.;)

I too miss docking in Hamilton. Much more central location to get around.

Bermuda is still a fantastic and special place. The cruise on the Breakaway was our best cruise yet. The whole time in Bermuda we never encountered any negative or bad experience. The whole island was excited and energized by the first appearance of the Breakaway. Our overall impression was that the people of Bermuda embraced the maiden voyage as a special event and occasion. Which it turned out to be

We visited Black Bay and the sea glass beach last Friday also. Very nice guy running it. It is three very pretty small beaches. Very reasonable prices and he does have snorkel equipment to rent. There is a porta potty! Whoo hooo!!! We took the number 7 bus about 2-3 stops past the dockyard exit. The driver knew where to let us off. You could walk it if you took the road to the right when you exit the Dockyard. I think it is "Cochrern Road." The main road had too much traffic to walk in the street and there were no sidewalks. I'll post some photos from my iPhone. There is a very nice Facebook page. We were not there for sunset but it looks incredible!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Bay-Beach-and-Park-Sunset-Paradise/317707948331801

Didn't go in the water here but went in Tobacco bay in the morning and it was warm. Went in at Elbow the day before and it was cooler but not so cool that I couldn't stay. Tobacco Bay has good snorkeling but you have to get to St. George

So- to be clear- are the only charges for rentals and snacks? If I understand correctly-I can bring my own snorkel gear- and there is no charge for the beach.

Yes. Just chair and umbrella rentals or snorkel equipment rentals have a cost. Snorkel Park used to be free like that too. We brought our own gear there and just snorkeled. Now they are charging $5 to walk in.

Gina:

Thank you for your information, I wonder if I could trouble you for a few more questions please?

Is there much shade at the park here, and what are the rental chairs like?

We'll be there in mid-June and wondering if this would be appropriate for a couple hours with our 85 year old mom. But she'd need a shady spot and a regular chair height chair (not a low beach chair). She is mobile, and can walk well, as long as the distance from the bus stop isn't very far.

Would you recommend for us for about 2 hours? She would happily sit in the shade while my daughter and I snorkeled a bit.

Thanks.

Janet

I have read that this is a 20 minute walk from the Dockyard. We will have a toddler in a stroller so I don't want to be out on the main roads with lots of traffic. Are there smaller side streets with sidewalks or less busy roads to get to this place?

Thanks!

Coffeecat

I only remember seeing low chairs. Maybe message the owner, Vic on his Facebook page and ask him if he could get you a higher chair. There was plenty of shade from trees but it really depends on how hot it is.

As for a toddler in a stroller, I definitely would not walk on the Main Street. There are no sidewalks and the traffic is crazy. You would have sidewalks until the end f the dockyard a then I would take the smaller road to the right as you exit the dockyard.

If you have google earth you can see the side road and the three small beaches are labeled Black Bay.

Gina:

Thank you for your information, I wonder if I could trouble you for a few more questions please?

Is there much shade at the park here, and what are the rental chairs like?

We'll be there in mid-June and wondering if this would be appropriate for a couple hours with our 85 year old mom. But she'd need a shady spot and a regular chair height chair (not a low beach chair). She is mobile, and can walk well, as long as the distance from the bus stop isn't very far.

Would you recommend for us for about 2 hours? She would happily sit in the shade while my daughter and I snorkeled a bit.

Thanks.

Janet

We were there last Wednesday morning, after arriving on the Breakaway. We took the bus, I think it was the 2nd stop, the driver knew exactly where to drop us off. There was plenty of shade, either down on the beach, or up near the road. Not knowing your mom, the only problem you may need to check on is access to the beach from the road. I only noticed small, somewhat narrow paths down the hill, which could require some stability in making it down there. Maybe others or the beach's Facebook page could get you additional information.

Having brought a floating pool thermometer with us, the surface temperature was 75 degrees, the bottom a degree or two cooler. It was low tide at noon, and by the time we headed into the water to swim, it was about waist deep. From the water marks on the large rocks, closer to high tide would be no problem. There had been a couple snorkeling, but no idea what they saw. We did see all sizes of what appeared to be translucent fish, including some about 18 in. long.

There was some sea glass scattered along the beach, likely gone by now, but we walked to "Sea Glass" along the shoreline, not a bad walk, maybe 10 - 15 min. slow pace looking at the glass as we strolled. Looks to me that where the beach is near the road, passerbys may be chucking bottles into the water to "seed" the sea glass, so beach shoes are recommended. We walked back along the road, probably the best choice.

Once we got back, the sun had made its' move, and we had to move our chairs to get back in the sun. It was a great day at the beach for us, and would highly recommend it. That day, there were less than 10 people in total during the several hours we were there, and that includes a few who stopped by on their scooters. The peace and quiet may not last, so enjoy it while you can.

Yes. Just chair and umbrella rentals or snorkel equipment rentals have a cost. Snorkel Park used to be free like that too. We brought our own gear there and just snorkeled. Now they are charging $5 to walk in.

Mamagina: thanks btw for all the questions you have answered since your cruise - very helpful!

Do you feel Snorkel Park is worth snorkeling there - we are thinking of staying close on Friday and are considering this as an option.

Also, did you snorkel at Tabacco Bay and if so, how was it?

I might get only 1 or 2 snorkel opportunities and am trying to figure out the best beach to try.

thanks -

We snorkeled at snorkel park a few years ago and it was very good. It depends on how many people are in the water. Also if it is rough. Go early. It gets a little churned up and cloudy from all the people there. Very easy to get in. No rocks and shallow. My husband and daughter made it all the way around the fort. Most fish are near the wall eating. Tobacco bay is just spectacular. So pretty and lots if fish.

Snorkel park

716389252_ImageUploadedByCruiseCriticForums1370192529.950660.jpg.0f05d0cb90dbf37cd389ef3805c9da6b.jpg

Tobacco Bay

91381237_ImageUploadedByCruiseCriticForums1370192580.231404.jpg.bbbda03a2c3c503c0842546ab67422a9.jpg

100311552_ImageUploadedByCruiseCriticForums1370192700.804841.jpg.2baf5f08c4964b3e12a1afbc89dc07b5.jpg

1987982947_ImageUploadedByCruiseCriticForums1370192471.776167.jpg.aa10e4413f720a2402c46dbcae32ba3b.jpg

1861215291_ImageUploadedByCruiseCriticForums1370192614.418623.jpg.649c23a11941f5351c0c07d4f3ad53e7.jpg

311242812_ImageUploadedByCruiseCriticForums1370192638.493283.jpg.8451af68ed038cd16d28ad9541814886.jpg

Archived