Your experience with proper documentation for a non family member

OK,

We will be on the Breeze in January 2014. It will be my husband, self, and 2 kids in one cabin, and my parents and their grandaughter (my neice) in their own cabin.

I have seen so many conflicting reports on what you have been required to bring a family member with you, but what I have seen and what Carnival is saying is a littlebit different.

I called Carnival and let them know my neice is coming and what is required. She said her passport and a letter authorizing her to travel and receive medical treatment.

I asked if it needed to be notorized and she said that it didn't.

What has been your experience and what are your recomendations?

My neice has a different last name from my parents and myself.

She will be 12 years old.

Do we have to have my sister fill out her kid activity form for Club 02 or can we do that?

I will be more than happy to bring a document with a notarized signature. Should we bring a copy of my sister's license, copy of a birth certificate too, etc.

Just want to be prepared so we aren't having to deal with any hassel.

Thanks everyone!!

YOU fill out the form since you will be the one there with her.

carnival states the form does not need to be notorized. and more then likely carnival will not ask to see if-- The people in immigration asked to see our letter then took the 5 year old to the side and spoke to her.

I would get it notorized--especially the part for medical power.

Since you sister is not sailing there is no reason to take her stuff with you.

at 12 years old she doesnt need a photo id either

I always err on the side of caution. I would definitely get a medical release form the guardians.

I would also have a letter giving you permission to take her. When you do the letter of understanding from the parents I would photocopy their license right into the letter they sign. It doesn't hurt to notarize the document. I'm a licensed Notary and I can assure you that a document with a stamp on it goes a long way. For the few dollars it would cost you, even free sometimes at your local bank, do it to show that everything you have is legally okay.

Also you should take her passport. If by some chance you get stranded on an island and miss the ship that may be needed to get back to the U.S.

I know this sounds like overkill, you may very well not need it and I will probably get adverse comments from others but again, err on the side of caution is my motto.

We took an exchange student with us about 4 years ago and I had every piece of paperwork I could find. If I didn't need it then fine. I had documentation from Denmark, copies of docs from Heritage saying why she was here, what she was doing and that all of her paperwork was in order.

For the little effort this will be for you, it's a sense of security as well. If you miss one piece of paperwork they require, you could be denied boarding

When I took my granddaughters, I had my daughter fill out the Club forms on-line, since she knows their likes/dislikes/allergies better than I do. She provided me with a medical release and all other appropriate paperwork. No one ever asked to see it!

Google FOR MINOR CHILDREN TRAVELING WITHOUT BOTH BIRTH PARENTS and there is a PDF form you can use. We took my son's best friend with us last time and that is what I had his parents fill out and get notarized. Was never asked for it, but glad I had it.

Took daughters friend last year. We had a notarized form stating where we were going, each island and dates. We had both parents sign it and it was notarized. We also had a notarized medical release and her insurance card.

She traveled with her birth certificate. Carnival did not ask us for any paperwork but customs asked for proof that we had permission to take her.

I took my nephew to Canada last year. I had his BC, a NOTARIZED letter from his mom (his dad is deceased) stating she allowed me to travel with him to Port A and Port B, and authorizing me to provide medical care if necessary. I was asked for it at check-in, and again at one of the stops in Canada. Customs there did ask him a few questions to make sure he was with me willingly, and that he actually belonged on the cruise. I filled out his papers on the ship and signed everything as his legal guardian. Make sure when mom signs the papers, that the grandparents are listed as guardians, because technically she is travelling with them, not you.

YOU fill out the form since you will be the one there with her.

carnival states the form does not need to be notorized. and more then likely carnival will not ask to see if-- The people in immigration asked to see our letter then took the 5 year old to the side and spoke to her.

I would get it notorized--especially the part for medical power.

Since you sister is not sailing there is no reason to take her stuff with you.

at 12 years old she doesnt need a photo id either

This was our experience in 2010 taking a nephew with us. Border Services at the airport (coming and going) scrutinized both the permission letter and the boy himself...Carnival never said a word about it during check-in. Make sure everything is in order if you are flying.

Archived