Norwegian Breakaway inaugural transatlantic Review

One of my favourite places on the ship, the aft waterfront. As it overhangs the ship they have some glass floor parts which look straight through to the sea below.

8726410274_f5de211e6c_b.jpg

IMG_1070 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8726408796_41a744a17a_b.jpg

IMG_1071 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8726406628_fe62c8bc9f_b.jpg

IMG_1073 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

which takes us across to the Port Side, so no header forward on the Port side we start with Cagneys

8726404760_9285403c9b_b.jpg

IMG_1075 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

Then another stretch alongside the shops before reaching Shakers which has both comfy chairs and then a sit up bar..

8725376983_0dea30a5ab_b.jpg

IMG_1081 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8726495100_334b73d25f_b.jpg

IMG_1082 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

before reaching La Cucini on the Waterfront which completes the Port Side.

8726494132_e330ae06ba_b.jpg

IMG_1083 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

At the forward end of the Waterfront they have balcony cabins. You can also look down to the Promenade deck where games such as Shuffleboard were.

However you'll also note that the first few balconies have very little privacy and that the first couple was even possible to see inside the cabin!! :eek:

8725347335_06d0e8f9f7_b.jpg

IMG_1104 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

Also looking at the balconies from the aft of the waterfront you can see how recessed some of them with the upper sun decks overhang..

8725993524_6e1f87437f_b.jpg

IMG_1186 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

I didnt have a daily so was using my app to get the info.

8725247941_ba2f6340c0_b.jpg

IMG_1040 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

I am new to this iPhone thing, so have question about it.

1. what is the app called?

2. where to download it?

3. phone in airplane mode so not to get charged data rates, especially internationally?

4. how connect to net / wifi to get the app to work, or does it not require a connection? I see NO SERVICE in the picture, so was not sure if it is live feed or download.

5. can you make reservations from it?

Thank you!

Tues morning we had the CC meet and greet. One of the largest attended I've seen. Unfortunately the venue chosen by NCL Cagneys is not really suitable. But without a lounge like Bliss on Epic, Bliss on Breakaway is one if the weak points and no where near as good as Epics. Essentially it's a dance floor with a bar one side a few tables the other and a little podium rather than stage where the DJ was.

Anyhow the weather wasn't great so mostly indoors. I'd booked Moderno for dinner tonight which was great and managed all the meats presented.. Trick was to skip lunch though!

Later that night was FABBA in Spice H2O. Unfortunately it was bitterly cold but without a suitable venue indoors they kept it on and people shivered.

8725363299_bb7f484418_b.jpg

IMG_1096 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

A few hours spent in Bliss dancing the night away ended day 2.

I am new to this iPhone thing, so have question about it.

1. what is the app called?

2. where to download it?

3. phone in airplane mode so not to get charged data rates, especially internationally?

4. how connect to net / wifi to get the app to work, or does it not require a connection? I see NO SERVICE in the picture, so was not sure if it is live feed or download.

5. can you make reservations from it?

Thank you!

The app is NCL iConcierge and is available for apple I devices and android. You can connect to the ships wifi to use it for free but can't get any further onto the Internet without a package.

Most phones should be able to disable GPRS data or favour wifi.

It was a live feed via wifi

Yes I made reservations the first night from it for Moderno.

As someone has raised the questions.

I purchased a 100mins package. The same options per minute, for 100, for 250 mins etc are available to buy as other NCL ships with bonus minutes for latitudes members.

The messaging and phone app for intra ship communications was actually free, normally 7.99 so I was able to use that to call cabins, send messages to fellow passengers etc..

Awesome review! Love the pictures and having cruised on the Epic twice I can see the changes clearly, both good and bad. Not thrilled with the changes in the Studio Lounge. No white board changes everything for those of us who liked getting together with others for dinners or outings. I was hoping the Lounge would be better than the Epic's but sounds like I will be disappointed. I sail in June so maybe the white board will reappear. Waterfront looks amazing. Definite step up from the Epic. Can't wait to see more of your review!

I was going to say how we spent all day drinking and playing games but really we didnt have breakfast until about 10AM after doing laps of the waterfront.. then I took some more pics ..

.. oh and drinking and playing games in O'Sheehan's from wobbly Pool to Air Hockey lol.

but you just want to see some inside shots really don't you?

Ok starting for deck 8..

Carlo's bake shop

8726331164_d93c7db07a_b.jpg

IMG_1019 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

Fat Cat's

8724890589_1c56cdef86_b.jpg

IMG_1085 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

La Cucini's

8726008622_de5bae1875_b.jpg

IMG_1084 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

Malting's

8725255711_bcc8e82ddb_b.jpg

IMG_1029 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8725257547_64e36444fc_b.jpg

IMG_1027 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

During the day I also wandered around the shops, seems more on Breakaway then on Epic. basically the whole centre of the ship on deck 8 is shopping.

8725370133_81a789d814_b.jpg

IMG_1088 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8725369289_61707be4fc_b.jpg

IMG_1089 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8725368581_3e315e2782_b.jpg

IMG_1090 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

many with window displays onto the Waterfront

8725425823_bfa508b40b_b.jpg

IMG_1080 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

at the end we have Cagneys and Moderno's entrance

8725367861_542f578025_b.jpg

IMG_1091 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

and inside them

Following the exploits of the previous night in Moderno I opted for a much lighter choice of the O'Sheehan's Shepherds Pie :)

Then it was the solos meeting where we agreed times for Ice Bar and also for the Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy for later in the cruise.

Then I dashed off to the 7PM headliners Second City show. It was very similar to the Epic's shows, infact I recognised a couple of the same cast.

Tonight was another Howl at the Moon and then to Bliss until late..

Probably a suitable point to post some theatre and box office pics.

8726012362_5f43bc660a_b.jpg

IMG_1052 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8724895683_727fe0dac2_b.jpg

IMG_1051 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8725490975_45d7b339c9_b.jpg

IMG_1129 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

As can be seen the theatre shots were not focused and more a casual just checking my phone and hit a button.. The 2nd is the Rock of Ages set.

At this point I'll comment on Rock of Ages. At 1hr 30mins don't drink much before seeing it. :rolleyes: hence we sat at the back. The start was slow but then I started to get into it. Have never seen the show or TV/film and it's not really my fave genure of music but it did have a very west end type feel to quality and the set and performances were great.

It was also worth pointing out that tonight they cancelled the two Cirque dreams shows as we were hitting some pretty big waves and winds. Glad we changed to Cirque dreams on the Saturday (day 5) although most rebooked without much issue or were refunded if it clashed..

10:30 was "Glow" this was another event designed to be in Spice H2O but due to the weather moved indoors to Bliss. It has replaced the white hot party and after speaking with some of the crew apparently it might do so across the fleet.

Gone are the winged angels and now we have dancers in tight "morph" suits that cover the full body and face and everyone has neon sticks, given out for free but can bet these will be for sale on most cruises.

I think I prefer White Hot Parties and definitely in Bliss. The fact that we also didnt have very good DJs on-board didn't really help, they either decided to play 20-30secs max of a song before trying a mix or playing songs that cleared the dance floor.

the problem is that Bliss is one big dance floor so you can't really just chill and come back..

8725319031_7d4b4d9932_b.jpg

Breakawayday5 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

Now this day proved to be the busiest at least for me.

The weather was starting to improve and so some of the group went up to the decks to do the ropes course, unfortunately I'd managed to twist my ankle dancing a couple of nights before and so didnt really fancy testing it with a few days in New York and walking planned so I became chief photographer.

During the days we spent a lot of time in O'Sheehan's as a lot of the talks and events were in the atrium and so easily watchable.

O'Sheehan's is near identical to Epic, the only difference is the bowling lanes have now become extra tables for dining. and where headliners is on Epic is now where the mini-bowls lanes are:

8726431828_4367283fe0_b.jpg

IMG_1047 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8725312751_fe7c9efeb5_b.jpg

IMG_1048 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

So the solos group had an organised Ice Bar visit, a full house of around 25 people entered.

My first impression was "is this finished yet?" It's not any bigger than Epics, has less statue/monument sculptures and more inside freezer sterile look.

8725487415_f44b3374f4_b.jpg

IMG_1146 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8726605422_67485459fb_b.jpg

IMG_1148 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8725484723_59a152edea_b.jpg

IMG_1149 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

The single TV inside wasn't working either

Archived