Fascination 05/06/2013 w/FTTF...a reflection...

kml2000

Thanks so much for doing this review...November will be our third time out of Jacksonville...easy peasy!! We have also stayed once at the Holiday Inn...question...where did you eat that night...only thing around when we stayed was a Wendy's next door.

I have been on the Fascination afew times..

I stay @ the Crowne Plaza on Airport RD......

The Crowne was a Holiday Inn afew years ago...

There is a lot of different places to eat.........

Also there is a Walmart and afew other stores...

The Crowne offers parking with a one night stay.....

They have a shuttle........

Also there is a lot of other Hotels there............

Happy Cruising.....................:)

Thanks Barbara...will check it out with Trip Advisor...how far is the drive from there to the port? We have also stayed on the beach...but in November...it's a bit cold:eek:

Can't wait for your review..

Wow it looks like you're going to have an interesting cruise with your ex!! I'd be interested in your review too. :)

LOL, I'll be sure to post a review in September - Fortunately about 2 weeks after we get back, I am going on the Freedom with SO, and that will be way more fun. No kids, no cell phones, nothing :)

OP, thank you for a great review, love the pictures

Thanks Barbara...will check it out with Trip Advisor...how far is the drive from there to the port? We have also stayed on the beach...but in November...it's a bit cold:eek:

I am guessing 10-mins........

I ride the Shuttle...............

I firmly believe cruising is what you make of it. Have a great time!!!!

You are so right!!! All that matters is that my kids have a good time, they will turn 13 & 16 on the ship. I know I'll have a good time.

Your favorite place to dine, was and is our favorite place to hang out. Great quiet place late at night. Can't wait til you wake up and write more-looking forward to the rest of your review on our favoorite ship.

I hung out there as well, especially in the afternoons. We had a great time on the Fascination.

That's where we parked..$40 for the week and we did self assist getting off ship. We had FTTF but Self was faster we were on the highway home by 9am.

We were only about 30 minutes later getting on the road. I read somewhere else on the board there are some issues with this lot - something with the Port. I don't know anything about it, just something I read yesterday on the board. It is just a matter of personal preference on toting your luggage.

I would have taken the shuttle from the Holiday Inn Express we stayed at but the early spots were full. Since my budget for this trip included parking at the port, we went that route. Next time, I may try to plan better with the hotel. In all honesty, we didn't even plan to be in Jacksonville on Sunday night. We were going to drive in from my Grandfather's Monday morning. However, for various reasons, I booked the HI Express at the last minute.

I think the park and ride deals at the hotel are a great option.

At this point, we headed to the Lido deck and got lunch. SORRY....no pictures. We both decided on hamburgers for the first day, as did a lot of other people. I like the salsa they have on the bar and also got the chips with salsa. I am not as fond of the chips, but because I like salsa so much, I put up with them. The best way I can characterize these chips is they are like fried flour tortillas. I may be wrong, just my impression. Later in the week, I tried the chili they also have with the burger/hot dog toppings and found it to be pretty good. The chili was like actual chili and not just hot dog chili (IOW, it had beans in it and was not as thick as a hot dog chili). I snacked on some "nachos" mid afternoon one day with this chili and the other toppings (salsa, sour cream, melted cheese - obviously nothing healthy).

After lunch we took off exploring. We found our favorite place to dine when we ate in the buffet. If you go to the inside buffet and walk all the way to the back you find the pizza place and the deli (I really like the deli). On either side are some doors and there is an outside, covered dining area. This, to me, was one of the nicest areas to sit and eat. Also, there were tables and chairs on the side decks. This area looks out AFT and over the Serenity area. Here are some pictures:

Cruise05062013067.jpg

Cruise05062013068.jpg

When I saw on the Fascination in 2011, that was my favorite spot too! It was rarely very busy, and we were always able to get a spot.

Now to remember where I left off. :D

After we had lunch we explored and checked on our dining table. We had early seating. I wanted to try YTD but it was wait listed. I could confirm early dining so I did because I did NOT want to eat late. We were in the Imagination Dining room in the back of the ship at a table that sat 10 people. We were on the sides with a window. There were also tables in a raised middle section. Our servers were "BeBe" (shortened version of a LONG name and she had I. Ketut and Eduardo (I think) helping her. They did a good job but, at times, their timing was off. I think there may have been a table that came in consistently late that may have thrown them off, but it wasn't bad. We ate every meal in the dining room and the food was very good.

IMO, getting to this dining room was a little challenging. A lot of the time, we went up to deck 9 and went down the stairs into the dining room. I know it is not really all that challenging, we just seemed to get turned around with the layout.

Here is our dining table:

Cruise05062013036.jpg

We never actually bought anything from the coffee shop, but everything looked good and it smelled yummy as we went by:

Cruise05062013029.jpg

Cruise05062013031.jpg

Cruise05062013030.jpg

Was Craig still onboard as CD..? I heard he was due to go to another ship soon, Just not sure when he was changing ship's.

No....Paul was our CD and I thought he did a good job. He always talked about how many times he has been married, etc.

During sail away, we went up to where the water works is on the aft of the ship. I was quite impressed with this area, even though we never went down a slide. We are going to start sounding like lame people, but we really just went to relax and take it easy. I absolutely loved this aft deck. In fact, it made me want to cruise in an aft balcony. Maybe one day.....we all need something to dream about, right???? If I had a small child, we would have camped out here all week.

Cruise05062013018.jpg

Cruise05062013017.jpg

Our explorations also found the nightclubs (which we didn't visit - not for any reason, just didn't) and the pools:

Diamonds are Forever - club:

Cruise05062013032.jpg

Cruise05062013033.jpg

Passage to India - club (I think):

Cruise05062013027.jpg

Cruise05062013028.jpg

Here is the Palace Theater where we did spend time. I remembered reading a review that said the seating is not so great. By that, I mean there are a lot of blind spots. The big poles get in the way. Also, try to sit toward the middle, even in the balcony. Some of the shows are set toward the back of the stage and you can't see that from the sides in the balcony - I know this from experience.

Here is the theater:

Cruise05062013023.jpg

Cruise05062013024.jpg

Thanks so much for doing this review...November will be our third time out of Jacksonville...easy peasy!! We have also stayed once at the Holiday Inn...question...where did you eat that night...only thing around when we stayed was a Wendy's next door.

You are welcome....I am afraid it will get a little dull. We just relaxed this cruise. There is absolutely nothing around the Holiday Inn Express, except the Wendy's next door. After we checked in, I decided I wanted to see the beach. I have had a rough few months/year at work and taking care of parents and just didn't want to sit in the hotel room. We ate at a pizza place in Jacksonville and I can't remember the name. It was just in a strip shopping center but was very good. I wanted to eat Mexican but it was May 5th and all of those places were PACKED TO THE GILLS. It got late so we got a slice of pizza and made a Wal Mart stop.

I want to remember the name of the pizza place. In reading the menu, it said the person who started that pizza restaurant came from Atlanta so I asked about it. The gentleman said the family member owned Johnny's PIzza in Atlanta. We like Johnny's close to where we live.

Karen, I'm so sorry our paths didn't cross this past week! I think we literally must have been standing within feet of you during the sail away!!!! My girls and I were in the row of chairs by the slide, watching the little ones have SO much fun!!!

Enjoying the review...if I get rested up I may try to write something up as well!

Happy Mothers Day!

Hi All, enjoyed meeting everyone. We had a safe trip home, got in at 6:30, checked our phone messages, and had a call from a high school friend. he was passing thru Mississippi and was only 20 min.away! We got back in the car, met them, and came back to our house for coffee and dessert, with all the suitcases still in the living room. It was a great way to finish off the cruise. Now we are looking forward to our b2b on the Fascintion in November. Happy sailing!

Archived