Cozumel - Things to do?

kramonas

So we are going on the Imagination next week with the family (2 adults, 4 kids).

I've never been to Cozumel before..

Any fairly inexpensive ideas for things to do there?

With 6 of us going, i really dont want to spend more on an excursion than we paid for the cruise!

So we are going on the Imagination next week with the family (2 adults, 4 kids).

With 6 of us going, i really dont want to spend more on an excursion than we paid for the cruise!

If you want a beach day, catch a cab and take the short ride to Paradise beach. $2 pp to get in, with the assumption that you will buy some food and drink here throughout the day. There is a nice large pool, nice ocean, and no people bugging you to buy stuff on the beach. If you want jet skis, massage, etc., they are there. They also have floating items in the ocean, you do pay extra for those for extra, not expensive though I know. Its a nice place!

how much are cab rides there?

Well, the fares are regulated there...set price, and I think to go to Paradise it was about $16 each way - we were with another couple so we split. That was fare for all 4 of us. If you have six, they have van style cabs and I think it is the same price - but not positive on that one.

Try Nachi Cochum $42pp For the day all inclusive. Must have reservations, limited to 100 people. Beautiful beach huge hot tub and very nice pool. Drinks are good as is the food. No much for kids except beach, but great place for adults.

Keith

i found there website, but its not entirely clear.

$2 admission

$10 min food purchase

$12 for water stuff

Yes, $2 per person entrance fee, they want you to buy their food/drinks...(although I've heard some people didn't. Its not hard to get to that $10). The $12 for water stuff is for the floatable things in the ocean. There is a certain color wristband to track if you paid (I think). We didn't pay for them but we did use these..DH and his friends tried their luck at climbing on them! They were not busy that day so no one ever said a word.

Read my review for my latest cruise...Feb. 2012 on Liberty. I have pictures of the floatables, and all around Paradise Beach. It is really nice. Also, they have a Facebook page if you didn't find that yet.

Try Nachi Cochum $42pp For the day all inclusive. Must have reservations, limited to 100 people. Beautiful beach huge hot tub and very nice pool. Drinks are good as is the food. No much for kids except beach, but great place for adults.

Keith

THIS IS THE PLACE WE ALWAYS GO.. WE LOVE IT...its that good and cheap.. you must put a very small deposit online for the reservation.. then pay in cash when you get there. tony

We have visited Paradise Beach four times.... it is a great place!! The wrist band is a great deal... allows you all of the water toys, kayaks, trampoline, etc. Chairs and Umbrellas were $2.00. We did not eat full meals here... Nachos, Chicken Wings split for my family and one or two drinks. For all five of us, it was about a $200 Day - including Transportation, Food and Beach Fees.

Catrin

Grab a cab and head to Playa Azul ,a small but nice hotel with free use of the facilities !

DSC01077.jpg

DSC01076.jpg

DSC01075.jpg

DSC01067.jpg

DSC01079.jpg

7259f01e-ee7a-463e-8931-baaf4ce459b5_zps3ee24f29.jpg

If you want a beach day, catch a cab and take the short ride to Paradise beach. $2 pp to get in, with the assumption that you will buy some food and drink here throughout the day. There is a nice large pool, nice ocean, and no people bugging you to buy stuff on the beach. If you want jet skis, massage, etc., they are there. They also have floating items in the ocean, you do pay extra for those for extra, not expensive though I know. Its a nice place!

Been there twice awesome cheap day. Cab rides are 15 each way

We have been to Coxumel twice with a child, we did the same thing both times. It is a pretty fake touristy town, lots of shops, chain bars like Senor Frogs/Carlos & Charlies and the usual A.I. resorts.

We got off the boat, grabbed a cab and had them take us to a place to buy beer and kid drinks, and then to the cabbies favorite street food vendor. We pack all this ( under 20 bucks for all) in a collapsable cooler we pack and take off the ship. Then we get dropped off on the wild side of the island, crashing waves awesome natural uncombed beaches. We wander for hours after setting up a time to get picked up. I made a list of things for my kid to find (coral, fish bone, feather etc...) and brought a small colored chart of possible shells to find.

I will admit on our last cruise we came across a cantina/bar and ate there, the street food was consumed later that night in our room.

This really beat crowded shopping and such, last time, besides the cantina we wandered for hours and saw 3 folks on the beach ( and 1 dog), though did see folks zip by on the upper road. I would not suggest swimming though.

Yes, $2 per person entrance fee, they want you to buy their food/drinks...(although I've heard some people didn't. Its not hard to get to that $10). The $12 for water stuff is for the floatable things in the ocean. There is a certain color wristband to track if you paid (I think). We didn't pay for them but we did use these..DH and his friends tried their luck at climbing on them! They were not busy that day so no one ever said a word.

Read my review for my latest cruise...Feb. 2012 on Liberty. I have pictures of the floatables, and all around Paradise Beach. It is really nice. Also, they have a Facebook page if you didn't find that yet.

We bought the $14 ($2 plus $12) wristbands for my husband, older DD, and me. We paid the $2 for my DS who mostly wanted to use the pool, which had a great shallow edge with loungers. They said my youngest, age four, could go on everything with us for free. We all tried out the inflatables, I tried paddleboarding, and DH and DD snorkeled. They also provided free blow-up lifejackets for the kids at a hut; you just need to leave your ID.

There were people trying to use the inflatables without the proper wristbands, but they were monitoring in boats and stopping people.

We heard nothing about a food/drink minimum and no one was asking us if we wanted anything. We weren't very hungry after a big ship breakfast but the kids shared some pizza for $10. I tried to order a drink, but the waiter forgot or something was lost in translation because the drink and the bill never appeared.

The taxi for five cost more, I believe $28, even when they stuffed us into a normal size car and we protested about the extra charge. But it was still a very affordable day for five people. Very nice, clean changing rooms and lots to do. They accept credit cards. You just need cash for the cab.

Went to Chankanaab Natl. Park when we went to Cozumel. It was really nice and relaxing, and not too crowded, though we were the only ship in port. The snorkeling was decent too, and although the sand isn't continuous into the water, it was very nice. There is also a restaurant in the park, some other shops, and a Dolphin Discovery. I think it was about $20 per person to get in, on top of a $15 cab ride. Here is a photo of the beach:

15908_10151365862276138_486705462_n.jpg

I always use cash for excursions. Lots of places do not accept CC. When they do, your bank may charge you foreign currency fees. And, you do not know who will get your CC #s.

We are planning a simple lunch/shopping trip then back to enjoy a relatively empty ship.

Have read about a fun restaurant named Pancho's Backyard which is attached to a shopping are with all the requisite Mex trinkets and souvenirs. I'm told Panchos has exquisite margaritas and on their website is a coupon of a free one.

So that's our cheap day at Coz.

With nine hours in port, you have plenty of time to go to the mainland. The ferry leaves every hour for Playa del Carmen (45 minutes, $13 one way), which is a more substantial town. Don't buy a r/t ticket, as you may need to use the other ferry company to return.

Still feel adventurous? A first-class bus runs hourly to Tulum, with its stunning ruins,and international beach resorts ( and cool iguanas). (1 hour, $5 one way). This is what we plan to do in June on Victory. ( However, my Spanish is pretty good - your comfort level may vary.)

Another possibility is to rent a car in PdC and drive to Tulum and Xcaret, an ecological park on the way. Requires less language too.

Have fun.

Mark

Keith

If you enjoy a quiet beach day, with gorgeous beaches, palapas, great food and all you can drink, alcoholic or non-alcoholic, Nachi Cocum can't be beat. (been there 4 times and will go every time we return to Cozumel)

If you need waverunners and floating plastic icebergs to have a fun day, then another beach club (like Paradise) will be for you.

Just go to the Cozumel board in here.

There is a bucnh of beach clubs, each with their own vibe and things to do.

Bill

This is alot of great info.

what is right around the port? (IE: walking distance).

I know what you mean about staying on the ship, actually, myself and my wife prefer to be on the ship when its docked. always better without crowds.

however, we are doing this cruise "For the kids", not us.

We just came off the Oasis of the seas last week (just me and wife) so that was "our" time, this one is going to be about them.

BTW, kids are 11, 13, 16, 18 years old, and have never been on a cruise before.

With nine hours in port, you have plenty of time to go to the mainland. The ferry leaves every hour for Playa del Carmen (45 minutes, $13 one way), which is a more substantial town. Don't buy a r/t ticket, as you may need to use the other ferry company to return.

Still feel adventurous? A first-class bus runs hourly to Tulum, with its stunning ruins,and international beach resorts ( and cool iguanas). (1 hour, $5 one way). This is what we plan to do in June on Victory. ( However, my Spanish is pretty good - your comfort level may vary.)

Another possibility is to rent a car in PdC and drive to Tulum and Xcaret, an ecological park on the way. Requires less language too.

Have fun.

Mark

We did Tulum on our first cruise and loved it. The history contained in there is just amazing to me. Plus it's beautiful.

check out MR Sanchos,Its also a cab ride to a resort but they have both all inclusive side with everything included or pay as you go side with alot of water toys

For as far as really cheap things to do in port ,you can also walk around ,plenty of shopping ,little stores.Very easy cheap day if you want to window shop and just wander around

another thought i had on using a Credit card in mexico.

has anyone done this and had the fraud department stop the charge/card?

I have used credit cards all over and never had an issue

I did learn though to let my bank know I was out of the country,my debit card was cut off once on a ship using Carnivals Atm because they thought it was fraud

Archived