Cruisin' Like a Hawaiian - Pride of America 05.04.2013 Review

puddles99

Loved your POA review, mahalo!! :D

What did you think of Moana Surfrider?? Would you recommend staying there? :cool:

We really liked "The First Lady of Waikiki" and would stay there again. It's a beautiful hotel with a lot of character & nice amenities. I would recommend reading reviews on TripAdvisor and/or Yelp in advance to understand some of the perspectives on the "historic" vs. "modern" wings. We stayed in the historic wing, right near the business center and honestly, it was fine. We slept well, enjoyed the chaise window seat, and really loved sitting out in the rockers on the hotel's front porch.

Just wondering if you have a direct contact email address for pre-cruise concierge, and also for Guest Service or Cruise Director onboard as I'd like to get in touch with them as our 1st cruise will also be our honeymoon!!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO

Any info you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :) Will you be staying in a suite? If so, the pre-cruise concierge may reach out to you closer to your sail date. You can also reach out to them proactively, if you prefer. Be sure to include your reservation number in the subject of the email. The email address is: NorwegianConciergeDesk@ncl.com

Unfortunately, the personal email addresses for the onboard crew aren't published publicly and I wouldn't want to disclose those without their permission. With that said, the pre-cruise concierge will be able to help you with most everything that can be arranged in advance and also note your reservation about items that cannot be done until you're aboard.

Enjoy your adventure!

We have been on POM four times and are scheduled to go again in October. We have the largest suite, SB on deck 12 and three other SG suites on the same deck. Are they finished? If you did get a chance to see them, I would love to know how they came out.

We will be celebrating one of our kid's 10th Anniversary (kids are in their 50s) and are using the little beach in Kauai near Dukes Bar. Does the tram still take you there? Otherwise I need to arrange transportation for 8! I guess the concierge will do that if I have to!

I am looking forward to the new restaurants. I am from Hawaii, so any chance I get to go back--I go!

Thanks for everything.

Carole

We have been on POM four times and are scheduled to go again in October. We have the largest suite, SB on deck 12 and three other SG suites on the same deck. Are they finished? If you did get a chance to see them, I would love to know how they came out.

We will be celebrating one of our kid's 10th Anniversary (kids are in their 50s) and are using the little beach in Kauai near Dukes Bar. Does the tram still take you there? Otherwise I need to arrange transportation for 8! I guess the concierge will do that if I have to!

I am looking forward to the new restaurants. I am from Hawaii, so any chance I get to go back--I go!

Thanks for everything.

Carole

Thank you for your kind words & many apologies for the delayed response . . .

The deck 13 renovations are still underway and to the best of my knowledge, deck 12 remains closed. It was definitely closed during our sailing. Sorry I can't be of more help with that! There is still a cute little trolley that runs from the ship to the shops (and Duke's) on a pretty regular basis. It's also an easy walk, if your crew is up for it. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thank you for posting this wonderful review. We honeymooned in Hawaii and are looking at this cruise to celebrate our 5th anniversary next year. We need to wait a few more months to see where life will be at, but I am getting excited starting to look at possibilities. :D

Thank you for the great report and pictures. I appreciate hearing from someone who did excursions as opposed to renting a car, since that is what we're planning to do on our October cruise.

One question...did you book the Ncl snorkeling excursions ahead of time, or on board? I'd rather wait if we can, since we need to see how much energy we'll have after several other long excursions that we're planning. On the other hand I wouldn't want to be locked out if we decided to go while on the ship.

Thanks again for all the good info. you've provided!

Fran

One question...did you book the Ncl snorkeling excursions ahead of time, or on board? I'd rather wait if we can, since we need to see how much energy we'll have after several other long excursions that we're planning. On the other hand I wouldn't want to be locked out if we decided to go while on the ship.

We had booked them ahead of time, but were able to make a change on board when we realized we'd made the mistake with Molokini. Those two snorkeling excursions are very popular and I wouldn't be surprised to hear if they sold out. However, I doubt they sell out before the cruise since I've heard that they only make a certain percentage of capacity available for prebooking.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

Wonderful review, we are hoping this will be our 25th wedding anniv trip in a couple of years!

Since you mentioned having daughters, do you have any suggestions to get an 8 year old swimming resistant daughter to safely try snorkeling when we go to the Western Carib. next April? I'd love for her to try, but I think that and the zip line is going to be a tough sell for her.

And I assume your trip on the breakaway is to Bermuda? We went last year and it's not well known, but there is an awesome free walking tour offered by the visitor's center in St. George. Very informative, and it was timed to the wench dunking also. I also loved going to the Perfumery, beautiful old building & they did a great job quickly explaining the process and it's a lovely souvenir to bring home. Loved Bermuda!

Awesome to have these new ships so close to home, we are thinking of taking our daughters on the Quantum of the Seas for spring break 2015. Thx!

Edited by mommaof 3

Wonderful review, we are hoping this will be our 25th wedding anniv trip in a couple of years!

Oh I hope you're able to do it - it's just a wonderful experience!

Since you mentioned having daughters, do you have any suggestions to get an 8 year old swimming resistant daughter to safely try snorkeling when we go to the Western Carib. next April? I'd love for her to try, but I think that and the zip line is going to be a tough sell for her.

My youngest is 8 as well. She's a pretty proficient swimmer, but the idea of being "stranded" in deep water or far from shore scares her. She has her own floatation vest, but is still wary. This fall, we're planning two private snorkeling excursions via boat and I expect that she'll take some coaxing to give it a go. We'll try a pool noodle, buddy system, and will keep encouraging her to try. But if she isn't confident, we'll just take turns hanging with her on the boat. That's a better option than having her panic in the water.

She's also hesitant about zipping, but her big sister cannot wait! We selected a zip line in Samana (through Terry's Tours) that allows for double-zipping and I fully expect that she'll be doubled with DH and I. I picked that particular experience based on reviews and knowing the chance of her zipping alone is slim to none.

And I assume your trip on the breakaway is to Bermuda? We went last year and it's not well known, but there is an awesome free walking tour offered by the visitor's center in St. George. Very informative, and it was timed to the wench dunking also. I also loved going to the Perfumery, beautiful old building & they did a great job quickly explaining the process and it's a lovely souvenir to bring home. Loved Bermuda!

What awesome tips - thank you!

Enjoying your review...DH & I are booked on NCL's POA for 9/28. Many past cruises but 1st on NCL

I'm glad you enjoyed - I'm sure you'll have a great cruise & will love the islands. I was just flipping through my photo book this weekend and dreaming (kind of scheming) about when I can return.

Hi

I enjoyed reading about your trip....

Loved the photos.

Can you recall what time you were allowed to get off the ship the final day?? It says that the ship arrives in port at 7am - I am wondering if this is true, or if this is the time they are allowing you to get off?

Thanking you

Can you recall what time you were allowed to get off the ship the final day?? It says that the ship arrives in port at 7am - I am wondering if this is true, or if this is the time they are allowing you to get off?

If I recall correctly, 7am was the earliest disembarkation tag time. It's possible they opened the gangway earlier, but I'm not sure. We were docked earlier - by 6am I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Puddles99 Read your review again didn't see what fwd cabin you were in might have miss it we are staying in 9500 and can't find anything on them thanks

We were in 10000 - which is just above 9500 but goes across the entire front of the ship. You'll LOVE the view! Sorry I can't be of any more help on that particular cabin.

Puddles99......OUTSTANDING Review (and great photos) and so kind of you to still be on responding to inquiries. I have been on this board for years and must say yours was once of the best, most comprehensive reviews I have ever read. You stuck to the facts and the photos so complimented the review! Just downloaded your Dailies - YAY! Will be heading on board 9/14 and following a very similar shore itinerary as yours and based on your review it looks like I made some good decisions. Again thank you!!

Puddles99......OUTSTANDING Review (and great photos) and so kind of you to still be on responding to inquiries. I have been on this board for years and must say yours was once of the best, most comprehensive reviews I have ever read. You stuck to the facts and the photos so complimented the review! Just downloaded your Dailies - YAY! Will be heading on board 9/14 and following a very similar shore itinerary as yours and based on your review it looks like I made some good decisions. Again thank you!!

Oh you're so sweet! I'm glad I could be of some help. I hope you have a fantastic time & I look forward to reading about your adventure upon your return!

Chapter 8: Ziplines, Luaus, & Helicopters (continued)

After an amazing morning, we returned to the ship for lunch, a shower, and some down time - including about an hour of wandering the shops near the harbor - before meeting our Roberts Hawaii bus for the Smith Family Luau.

We had originally booked the Kilohana Manor House / Kalamaku Luau through NCL but after reading how crowded it gets, we switched to Smith Family. The food at Smith Family was quite good and the grounds were beautiful. We also thoroughly enjoyed the music, singing, and informal dancing during dinner. The dinner seating was also FAR more comfortable than at Germaine’s. Oh and this luau is not only "all you can eat" but also "all you can drink" with a "two drink per trip to the bar" limit, but no consumption limit.

Hi puddles99. I have been reading through your review and it is a terrific source of info. You appear to have had marvelous time and we are hoping for the same on our cruise beginning Sept. 28. It's our first time in Hawaii.

On the Kauai luau did you take the Roberts Wailua River and Luau Condo, or just the Luau? If the combo, was the Wailua River part worthwhile?

Thanks,

Gil

Hi puddles99. I have been reading through your review and it is a terrific source of info. You appear to have had marvelous time and we are hoping for the same on our cruise beginning Sept. 28. It's our first time in Hawaii.

On the Kauai luau did you take the Roberts Wailua River and Luau Condo, or just the Luau? If the combo, was the Wailua River part worthwhile?

Thanks,

Gil

We only did the Luau - we wanted time to relax in the afternoon. If I had it to do over, I would have spent that afternoon on the beach near port, but we also enjoyed our nap - LOL! Sorry I can't help with experience of the River Cruise.

• 1 month later...
If going to Hawaii again for the 1st time would you choose to take this cruise or would you do a land vacation? My DH and I are on opposite sides of this coin and I would appreciate your opions. Thanks!

Would definitely do the cruise again. It was great to get an overview of the Islands the first time and great the second time to relax and enjoy. Beats packing & unpacking for different islands. Wish we could have done a b2b:)

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

If going to Hawaii again for the 1st time would you choose to take this cruise or would you do a land vacation? My DH and I are on opposite sides of this coin and I would appreciate your opions. Thanks!

I think it depends on whether you want to really "live" Hawaii on a single island or see the great variety that is across four islands. For us as first time visitors, we firmly believe that the cruise was the perfect way to sample the islands & we'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Would definitely do the cruise again. It was great to get an overview of the Islands the first time and great the second time to relax and enjoy. Beats packing & unpacking for different islands. Wish we could have done a b2b:)

I agree! I think a b2b would be fabulous. If only :p