Norwegian Spirit electrical wall sockets

Mr Grumpy

I've read that the staterooms on the Spirit have both U.S. style electrical wall sockets and European two-pin sockets.

Can anyone confirm this?

Also, are the U.S. style sockets grounded or non-grounded (ie: 2-prong or 3-prong).

I need to know this in order to bring the proper extension cord before I sail the Mediterranean on the Spirit.

There is one outlet in the bathroom high on the wall with the hair dryer that is I believe a two prong. It was inconvenient for anything accept maybe a razor so we never used it. There is one US and one European outlet at the desk. I think it was a three prong but I'm not sure as I didn't have any three prong plugs. It is limited to 500 volts which is why there is a sticker on it that says "No Hairdryers."

We're travelling on the Spirit as well this summer, and now I'm wondering about how much "power" we will have access to. We have tween girls who will have electronics to charge, as well as my hubby's phone, camera batteries, etc. We're trying to pack light, but would it make sense to take along a small power strip? Would it do the trick for charging electronics?

We're travelling on the Spirit as well this summer, and now I'm wondering about how much "power" we will have access to. We have tween girls who will have electronics to charge, as well as my hubby's phone, camera batteries, etc. We're trying to pack light, but would it make sense to take along a small power strip? Would it do the trick for charging electronics?

Yes, bring a power strip. Recharging batteries don't require much amperage, you could use up the whole strip easily, but one American 110 volt hair dryer will flip the breaker. The solution for bringing your own hair dryer is to use a dual voltage hair dryer with the European 220 volt circuit and outlet.

The Spirit was built for the Asian market, a 220 volt market, with smaller gauge wiring suitable for it, but limited to 500 watts using American 110 volts.

We have tween girls who will have electronics to charge, as well as my hubby's phone, camera batteries, etc.

For electronics get a plug converter that adapts the two pin style to American flat blade. No voltage conversion needed - just a plug adapter. Then any electronics with a transformer "brick" that specifies Input Voltage 110v~240v will automatcally adjust. Just be sure to check the transformer for the voltage range.

Does the Spirit have a decent hair dryer like the one on the Jewel?

I found the hair dryer on the Spirit to be perfectly adequate. It doesn't blow as hard as my dryer at home so it took a little longer but that was no big deal.

• 1 month later...

Archived