Personal opinions from Caribbean Princess..

WishfulThinker

Acknowledging that every observation, suggestion, criticism, praise, question and discovery about every cruise has already been recorded in these pages, I offer a brief report on what my wife and I have experienced thus far in the Caribbean Princess’ cruise around the British Isles, May 12 - 24. Today we are at about the mid point of what has been an enjoyable journey. We have visited Normandy, Edinburgh, Inverness and Kirkwall, the Orkney Islands. Ahead are Glasgow, Belfast, Dublin, Cork and Guernsey.

These are some of our observations so far. Nothing earth-shattering, and nothing more, nothing less. Perhaps it will be informative for others.

We have consumed too much food, but cannot say that any of it has been outstanding. Adequate is an accurate description. Beef has been dry and pork virtually impossible to slice.

Internet connection via satellite is spotty, and very slow. It is also very expensive and we quickly discovered that an effective shortcut is to prepare an email, or document (such as this) offline, copy it, and when online, paste it.

The ship is in good shape. Not excellent, but good. There are spots where carpet is pulling away but nothing major. A toilet failing to flush was quickly repaired and Princess sent a tray of cookies with an apology for our “inconvenience.”

Service has been unfailingly excellent. These folks do work hard. Waitstaff, room stewards, every staff person, has been outstanding.

We have been chilled to the bone because we live in Texas and this air is nippy. (Apparently, it did not bother some of our fellow travelers who wore shorts and sleeveless shirts) so we found it disappointing that department stores no longer sell gloves, but have a full array of bikinis.

Cruisecritic has been an excellent resource. The reason I write this is payback, hoping that what we are seeing and experiencing will be of use to others.

Maybe the weather will turn around for us when we depart on this cruise May 24!

Ooh I hope so Chloe!

Right now I'm sitting here with the heating on full blast though :eek:

The joy of UK weather ...... You never can tell :D

I went on the same itinerary last year at about the same time of year. Out of 30 cruises, I think that one ranked in the top 2 or 3. I've been on the ship twice and would agree with your observations. It's not perfect, but I wasn't there to inspect it. The itinerary was just fantastic! Enjoy your cruise!

DH and I will be on this one. Should we pack wool hats, scarves, and gloves? We're ready with the extra sweaters. Hoping all of us who have booked this one, have a memorable happy cruise. Are there anymore tips we all should know prior to boarding? Thanking you in advance:eek:

DH and I will be on this one. Should we pack wool hats, scarves, and gloves? We're ready with the extra sweaters. Hoping all of us who have booked this one, have a memorable happy cruise. Are there anymore tips we all should know prior to boarding? Thanking you in advance:eek:

No need for the heavy stuff in late June/July, but do bring rain gear, a light weight jacket, and comfortable walking shoes or boots.

our sailing is going to be one of the best ever !!!!;):):D

Archived