Disney Cover-Up? Disney Worker Molests 11-Year old in Port Canaveral

bdklein

I don't see any indication that as a matter of fact the master or senior staff did know about the incident. It seems that it was being investigated as the ship departed. You can make the arguable case that the master should have known but there's no evidence that he did in time to delay departure.

Once they were clear of 12 miles or in about an hour of dropping lines, British company, Bahamian ship, Indian perp, Brasilian victim. There's no jurisdiction here.

...hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it?.......;)

I don't see any indication that as a matter of fact the master or senior staff did know about the incident. It seems that it was being investigated as the ship departed. You can make the arguable case that the master should have known but there's no evidence that he did in time to delay departure.

Once they were clear of 12 miles or in about an hour of dropping lines, British company, Bahamian ship, Indian perp, Brasilian victim. There's no jurisdiction here.

I disagree. If the crime happened in US territory, the US has jurisdiction. Would you say the same thing if someone was murdered before the ship left port? A crime is a crime.

Mick, If I was Master and the security did not tell me that something like this had happened, maybe not all the detail, but enough to let me know what was going on........the person responsible for telling me would be on the next dock with his bags.

The Master is responsible for everything in this manner, before he can make a discussion to sail, he has to know all is ready and their are no problems that would effect his decision to sail.

I guarantee that the Master told the vessel manager in the office as well before sailing.

Just because no one came to the blogs to state what the Master did or did not know is not the point.

Proper vessel management and operation dictates that the Master was aware.

You went to maritime school.......you should know that!

In this country today we have a President that does not know, a attourney general that does not know, a Secretary of State that does not know so it goes right along that a Master of a ship should/ did not know. Do you see the pattern?:confused:

The Sheriff and/or USCG would have required the ship to return to port and held it there until it was sorted out.

ummmmmm .... no

bottom line is jurisdiction . . . .

and btw if what you want was the way it worked I doubt many cruise ships would ever leave port

The jurisdiction falls under the authority of the FBI. Any crimes committed against US citizens on board cruise ships must be reported to the nearest FBI office.

DCL has a long history of sex crimes on board their ship. Some of the responsibility falls on the adults that should supervise their under 18 years of age. And yes, we have sailed on board a DCL cruise and happy to report that we did not encountered any problems.

In this country today we have a President that does not know, a attourney general that does not know, a Secretary of State that does not know so it goes right along that a Master of a ship should/ did not know. Do you see the pattern?:confused:

A sad state of affairs isn't it!

AKK

The jurisdiction falls under the authority of the FBI. Any crimes committed against US citizens on board cruise ships must be reported to the nearest FBI office.

DCL has a long history of sex crimes on board their ship. Some of the responsibility falls on the adults that should supervise their under 18 years of age. And yes, we have sailed on board a DCL cruise and happy to report that we did not encountered any problems.

1. Correct they must be reported, that doesn't mean the FBI is investigate, it could also be the state and local.

2. DCL does not have a long line of sexual assaults on their ship. There have indeed been some (all I can find is 4). All lines have had this problem.

3. In this case involving a young girl and since they had already sailed, I would have been happy to see the matter resolved by dropping the *********** over board that night at sea!

AKK

Mick' date=' If I was Master and the security did not tell me that something like this had happened, maybe not all the detail, but enough to let me know what was going on........the person responsible for telling me would be on the next dock with his bags.

The Master is responsible for everything in this manner, before he can make a discussion to sail, he has to know all is ready and their are no problems that would effect his decision to sail.

I guarantee that the Master told the vessel manager in the office as well before sailing.

Just because no one came to the blogs to state what the Master did or did not know is not the point.

You went to maritime school.......you should know that![/quote']

Of course there's a difference between knowing and should have known. One is malicious and the other negligent.

Giving DCL and the master the benefit of the doubt, I was reconstructing how the scenario may have played out and I can see a negligent sequence of events until they get to Nassau. It's then I get completely stuck when they send the guy home to India. Even with the mother not wanting to press charges.

The only scenario that I can see is DCL sweeping it under the rug. It would have been very simple to keep him aboard until the incident is reported to FL law enforcement and let them decide whether or not to prosecute. But they didn't. It was malicious. Who made that call to send him home?

I was on a cruise where a young man caused all sorts of trouble including placing his hands inappropriately on my daughter. She reported it to the nearest CM who called security. It turned out that security was already well aware of this individual for his other actions on the ship (we learned all of this later). DCL strongly encouraged us to report to shoreside authorities and the ship was met by someone from the sheriff's department who took a report from my daughter as well as from other individuals who had reported this person. My daughter was provided with a "security detail" for the remainder of the cruise' date=' and we were told by a teen counselor that it was the only time there had been a security person on the teen beach at Castaway. DCL also told us that the family had been forever banned from booking a future cruise on DCL.

Yes, I learned a lot more about the inner workings of Disney security than I ever wished to.

However....some months later, we got a letter from the Brevard County prosecutor's office telling us that they had decided to not go forward with the case against the individual. A DCL security person told us that the reasoning was likely to be that it would be a "he said, she said" and that while he personally thought the individual was scum, touching wasn't the same as rape...and that while the individual has been inappropriate with more than one female guest, each case would have to be heard separately and there could be no reference made to the other instances.

I do realize that in the case that caused this thread, there is film...so it isn't "he said, she said." However, much is the same. Unfortunately, my suspicion is that there would have been much the same response from US authorities as DCL did on their own--he was removed from the US, removed from his employment, and sent home where he will probably face shame for loss of his job and difficulty in future employment without a reference from DCL. Doesn't make it right, but it may well be reality.[/quote']

4. things..

1. as far as I am concerned, it is lunacy NOT to always have a security officer on a teen beach. Duh..hasn't anyone ever heard of chaperones.

2. I feel it is totally outrageous how the cruise lines will say that parents are banned from the teen clubs...hello..these are minors..I can take my child from you whenever I want.

3. I have always harped on the fact that cruiseships are mini cities and chock full of strangers..DCL or not..doesn't matter.

4. I remember a thread about a "swinger's cruise" and when I debated the actual % of "swingers" in society all I was told is that "they are all around me"..yeah right, but anyway...if that is true then that means that pedophiles are all around us as well..and one might just come to the conclusion that Disney might just attract more than most cruiselines. Of course I know that other lines will attract them as well, so don't go there please. all of that being said....."why do parents still ask the stupid question...Can I let my kid run free on the ship?"

Duh..this is not a time to let your guard down..not even on DCL.

DCL and Disney you are an embarrassment as to the way you handled this situation..you made sure you were far enough from shore so that it could be handled in the Bahamas. I bet you outscourced the security screening of this employee to a firm in where? let's take a guess? his home country? They probably wanted to get rid of him..bet he has a record "back home"

4. things..

2. I feel it is totally outrageous how the cruise lines will say that parents are banned from the teen clubs...hello..these are minors..I can take my child from you whenever I want.

You can go into DCL's clubs any time that you want. Normally they will ask if they can get your kid from the club. If you still want to go in, they just let you know that you are not welcome to stay. If you have to talk to your teen for more than a moment, take him with you.

They're trying to give the kids a sense that it's their clubhouse, free from those meddlesome and annoying adults.

You can go into DCL's clubs any time that you want. Normally they will ask if they can get your kid from the club. If you still want to go in, they just let you know that you are not welcome to stay. If you have to talk to your teen for more than a moment, take him with you.

They're trying to give the kids a sense that it's their clubhouse, free from those meddlesome and annoying adults.

Meddlesome and annoying adults? Nice. How about concerned and loving adults? Sorry but it does not take a village it takes mom and dad

Meddlesome and annoying adults? Nice. How about concerned and loving adults? Sorry but it does not take a village it takes mom and dad

That was from the perspective of the teens. Ask your mom how you were at 13.

That was from the perspective of the teens. Ask your mom how you were at 13.

I wish she were still alive so I could do that. Btw. I am a mom to 4 teens and know all too well about them and attitude but on a cruise they love the family time and do not socialize with other teens or adults and do not appreciate the teen club attitude of negativism toward parents. Not all teens Feel the need to ignore their parents on a cruise. My teens realize that we are not their enemy. I find it so sad that popular belief says teens on cruises " need or want or should be separate from their parents. We love family time!

Of course there's a difference between knowing and should have known. One is malicious and the other negligent.

Giving DCL and the master the benefit of the doubt, I was reconstructing how the scenario may have played out and I can see a negligent sequence of events until they get to Nassau. It's then I get completely stuck when they send the guy home to India. Even with the mother not wanting to press charges.

The only scenario that I can see is DCL sweeping it under the rug. It would have been very simple to keep him aboard until the incident is reported to FL law enforcement and let them decide whether or not to prosecute. But they didn't. It was malicious. Who made that call to send him home?

OK, Now we are going in a different direction.

I feel the same way. I don't understand why the hell they sailed PC without allowing what ever local state or the feds agency at least do a fast investigation, for all we know the investigation may not have involved the guy being arrested, in which case we would not be having this conversation. If he was arrested, they could have jailed him and if more interviews were needed, they could have meet the ship (which they did anyway) next trip into PC.

Then we get to the guy being flown home, its a puzzle. Did the Bahamian government order him flown home? Did DCL just fire him and let him go?. Were they required by his contract to fly him home after being fired? Was just a convenient way for DCL to get him ........GONE?

We just don't have enough information.

AKK

I like the way that DCL handles the teen club. I was allowed to enter to retrieve my son, but they made it clear I couldn't stay. Good for them! There is no reason that adults should be hanging around a teen club--that's just creepy. If parents can't trust their kids, don't send them to the club to begin with. Concerned and loving parents do as I did. Freaks and kid touchers hang around teen clubs.

• 2 weeks later...
I like the way that DCL handles the teen club. I was allowed to enter to retrieve my son, but they made it clear I couldn't stay. Good for them! There is no reason that adults should be hanging around a teen club--that's just creepy. If parents can't trust their kids, don't send them to the club to begin with. Concerned and loving parents do as I did. Freaks and kid touchers hang around teen clubs.

I was going to post the same thing, but you said it so much better! Creepy was EXACTLY the word that came to my mind, too. Being a protective parent isn't about hovering all the time, it's about teaching a child or teen to respect their instincts. If a situation feels creepy or uncomfortable, get out of there and let someone know!

Is it only me, or does anyone else think DCL offered grandma a nice little compensation to sign off she wasn't pursuing this? Why else would she so quickly have everything dropped? Full reimbursement for the cruise, upgrades, OBC, another free cruise, week at WDW, how much did it take?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is it only me, or does anyone else think DCL offered grandma a nice little compensation to sign off she wasn't pursuing this? Why else would she so quickly have everything dropped? Full reimbursement for the cruise, upgrades, OBC, another free cruise, week at WDW, how much did it take?

I am pretty sure, based on all the many earlier threads and reports, the grandmother didn't want to put the child though the hell of a trial. The facts are that in the US the lawyers and judges would make a trail an living hell for this child, who already had answered a lot of questions from strangers and been though enough.

She just wanted to go home to Brazil.

AKK

Allowing for the idea that if I was in a foreign country and was dealing with a minor child and didn't understand laws and customs and didn't know if the minor would be treated "fairly",

I 100% agree there was a signature / liability release / quid pro quo at play here.

Nope. Grandma made her decision way too fast for Disney's legal eagles to have signed off on an offer.

Allowing for the idea that if I was in a foreign country and was dealing with a minor child and didn't understand laws and customs and didn't know if the minor would be treated "fairly",

I 100% agree there was a signature / liability release / quid pro quo at play here.

This really doesn't work as the Grandmother is not the child's parents, the parents were reported in Brazil.

Mick' date=' If I was Master and the security did not tell me that something like this had happened, maybe not all the detail, but enough to let me know what was going on........the person responsible for telling me would be on the next dock with his bags.

You went to maritime school.......you should know that![/quote']

Hey guys, just joined the thread. How about some input from the "black gang"?

Without looking at DCL's SMS manuals, I can say pretty certainly, that the Master is the one tasked with notifying local officials, or FBI, of a potential crime. However, the Security Officer should be trained in the reporting requirements, and the crime scene security requirements of the 2006 Passenger Safety Act, and should have notified the Master prior to sailing. The Master, if notified, is derelict for not delaying sailing. We had a reported rape on one of the NCL Hawaii ships, and we were delayed a couple of hours by Honolulu PD.

As far as repatriating the crewmember, yes, they were required to fly him home, based on not only his contract, but on the MLC2006 Convention, and the likelyhood that he did not have a visa for the Bahamas, other than as a crewmember, and once terminated he is no longer crew, and must leave the country.

I don't fault the grandmother too much, as she was trying to understand the legal system in a foreign country with no legal advice.

This whole situation mirrors the spate of assaults back in 2005-2006, and in those cases, the crew was generally not even fired, just transferred to ships that did not call in the US.

Nope. Grandma made her decision way too fast for Disney's legal eagles to have signed off on an offer.

Yeah because I'm sure Disney doesn't have anything already written up that couldn't be quickly printed off and offered for Grandma's signature. A corporation like Disney has probably never had an incident like this before and wouldn't already have a quick action plan in place. Somebody's sniffin' the pixie dust!

Yeah because I'm sure Disney doesn't have anything already written up that couldn't be quickly printed off and offered for Grandma's signature. A corporation like Disney has probably never had an incident like this before and wouldn't already have a quick action plan in place. Somebody's sniffin' the pixie dust!

As a former Disney CM, I can tell you for certain that you are wrong, and each incident is handled on a case-by-case basis through legal and risk management. No one further down the chain of command is authorized to make any sort of agreement with a guest beyond smoothing ruffled feathers due to a minor problem (ride breakdown, dirty hotel room, cold dinner, etc.) with a free popcorn, park pass, or dessert. In a situation like this, even the Captain is not in a position to make any type of compensatory arrangement. Doing so would be a terminable offense.

Archived