Heathrow Airport transfer to Harwich

gkny

How is everyone transfering from Heathrow Airport to Harwich. We'll be arriving on Aug 30th and we don't want to use the ships transfer bus if possible. Thank you for your help.

How is everyone transfering from Heathrow Airport to Harwich. We'll be arriving on Aug 30th and we don't want to use the ships transfer bus if possible. Thank you for your help.

We're using a private transfer for our cruise from Dover, UK from Heathrow. It could be about the same price as using the shuttle.

I'm using GreatBritianCars.co.uk. There's also British Cruise Transfers, Eddie Manning.

Also look for National Express. This is not door to door.

The train station is literally right next to the dock in Harwich - so, if staying one or more nights in London, that's your best option.

If coming straight from the airport, either train-taxi-train via London, private transfer (expensive) or cruise line transfer.

• 2 weeks later...

The train is the obvious choice if you're travelling from central London to Harwich. But not so clever from Heathrow, since you'll need the relatively-expensive Heathrow Express to Paddington station then taxi to Liverpool Street station for the Harwich train. Or London's metro (the tube) from Heathrow to Liverpool Street, involving at least one change - ok if unencumbered but no fun if you have a lot of luggage.

There's no National Express coach to Harwich, not from Heathrow or from central London or from anywhere else. From Heathrow to Harwich without going via central London involves two coaches & two trains, & depending on connection times a total journey time of anything up to about three weeks *

It's a long journey by road, over 100 miles & about two hours (excluding quite frequent traffic problems). Don't know the cost of a private transfer, but I guess around £170 one-way.

If you can find sharers for a van (via your RollCall?) that's probably much more viable.

Harwich operators are likely to be cheaper than Heathrow-based operators but, sorry, I've no knowledge to give any recommendations.

I don't normally recommend ships' transfers, but for between Heathrow or Gatwick airports and either Harwich or Dover I think you should give them serious consideration.

* Slight exaggeration ;)

JB :)

Five years from now when Crossrail opens, the advice will very probably change -- there will be direct trains from Heathrow to Stratford (Olympic Stratford, not Shakespearian Stratford!) and an easy change to a Manningtree/Harwich train there. Until then, the ship's transfer is worthwhile.

For Dover, if you can roll your luggage, Tube Heathrow to St Pancras and train from there to Dover isn't a bad deal -- there are elevators throughout. But it's an hour on the Tube.

Archived