Is GPS available - primarily in the areas around Whittier/ANC/Denali/Fairbanks?

jpplay

Hi all!

We're planning our first trip to Alaska and we're renting a car in Whittier, driving up to and in ANC, then up to Talkeetna, Denali and maybe Fairbanks.

We normally use Googlemaps or Mapquest on a smartphone - does anyone know if that is regularly available in those areas or should we print directions just in case?

I already bought the Milepost book :)

That was based on reading the posts here and the book is awesome!

And I see that most of the itinerary we have planned doesn't seem to be complicated. But we need to get to specific places in ANC, Talkeetna, etc.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

The advice I've gotten here on other questions has been amazing!

OK thanks!

I googled 'pure GPS' - never heard of that before.

But I am talking about using an app that works of the Internet as you say,so it sounds like I will need to print directions.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Oh one sec - maybe I did not understand well enough - would a GPS unit like Garmin work - is that what you meant by Pure GPS?

I gave mine away to my kids but I can borrow it back :)

My answer isn't specific to Alaska, but this is what I've read in general and from my experience in remote places. Smartphones can use two technologies to locate you. First is a satellite that you should be able to get anywhere. The other is by cell phone towers, in which you need 3 in range so it can triangulate your location. Satellites should be able to find you, but you might not get enough cell phone strength everywhere. If your phone has a GPS setting, make sure that it is on, although it can eat up your battery. Also, to LOAD directions onto your phone, you need an internet connection and not just a GPS signal, although after the initial directions are loaded onto your phone satellites can keep track of you and guide you even if there is no cell phone coverage.

G stands for global so of course GPS is available if your smartphone has GPS function. What you need is a Navigation/Map app that is not dependent on data like GoogleMaps or MapQuest because out in the wild your cell phone signals are not reliable (unlike GPS which is always there from satellites). Try something like Garmin USA for iphone. I have it and it's great. No data connection required, it even works in airplane mode on a iphone. Just beaware that it takes about 2.6GB memory space on your phone to store those maps.

(Edited to add) Just found out Garmin USA for iphone only covers lower 49 states and excludes Alaska. Bummer... But you can certainly try something similar, basically you want off-line map apps that store maps on the phone.

Oh one sec - maybe I did not understand well enough - would a GPS unit like Garmin work - is that what you meant by Pure GPS?

I gave mine away to my kids but I can borrow it back :)

That is exactly what I meant. Cell phone GPS frequently requires Internet assistance. A Garmin or Tom Tom or similar uses "true" or "pure" GPS that is satellite based.

Thank you so much everyone for the great info.

I never tried chat rooms before joining CruiseCritic and I never would have guessed how much terrific info you can get!

So after reading all your posts, I spent a while web surfing to research offline navigation apps for Android. In case any of you want to try this anytime, it seems like the best options are:

for free - OsmAnd, Locus or Route66 and for better features but requiring that you pay $: Sygic(has 1 week trial) or Navigon (by Garmin).

I can't vouch for any of that yet but I will test it out locally before travelling. You have to download the maps before you travel anyway...

If those don't work well I'll either borrow back the Garmin I gave to my kids or I can find out from Avis how much they charge to rent.

THANKS AGAIN - you guys are great!!

If you want real GPS, you need to buy a real dedicated GPS unit which will work essentially anywhere. The screen is bigger and the user interface is definitely better. They are not expensive (as low as $100 - $150) and in my opinion, superior to and easier to use compared to phone based GPS software. I have everything from hiking GPS units up to dedicated GPS units and of course my phone. When I am driving, I always use my dedicated Garmin GPS.

That said, the road locations in AK are sometimes problematic and your GPS will sometimes try to take you on a road that is either not there or absurd. GPS is OK in cities and in most populated areas but for example, when we drove the Dalton Highway, out GPS kept trying to take us on something called "winter road". Needless to say, we ignored the GPS instructions.

Take your Garmin.

DON

Hi all!

We're planning our first trip to Alaska and we're renting a car in Whittier, driving up to and in ANC, then up to Talkeetna, Denali and maybe Fairbanks.

We normally use Googlemaps or Mapquest on a smartphone - does anyone know if that is regularly available in those areas or should we print directions just in case?

I already bought the Milepost book :)

That was based on reading the posts here and the book is awesome!

And I see that most of the itinerary we have planned doesn't seem to be complicated. But we need to get to specific places in ANC, Talkeetna, etc.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

The advice I've gotten here on other questions has been amazing!

My husband and I have two different smartphones and the GPS feature works fine for us; however, there are some areas where the signal fades in and out, so beware. I have a TomTom GPS and he has a Garmin and they work, too. He used to have a Magellan that didn't work for him here in Alaska. Maybe it was older or he didn't update it. Not sure.

If you want real GPS, you need to buy a real dedicated GPS unit which will work essentially anywhere. The screen is bigger and the user interface is definitely better. They are not expensive (as low as $100 - $150) and in my opinion, superior to and easier to use compared to phone based GPS software. I have everything from hiking GPS units up to dedicated GPS units and of course my phone. When I am driving, I always use my dedicated Garmin GPS.

That said, the road locations in AK are sometimes problematic and your GPS will sometimes try to take you on a road that is either not there or absurd. GPS is OK in cities and in most populated areas but for example, when we drove the Dalton Highway, out GPS kept trying to take us on something called "winter road". Needless to say, we ignored the GPS instructions.

Take your Garmin.

DON

So true about the GPS sometimes giving you wrong directions. There was a man driving off the ferry last year who received directions to make a turn, and he did - straight into the water!

Archived