My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

I was not onboard for the crossing. But the ship came directly to Montego Bay Therefore I am assuming the crew was the same. Certainly most I spoke with were. About 500 got on in MB and another 500 in Havana. About 1000 onboard

Now we understand your original posting even more so. Last year when disembarking, the maitre d' warned us that when we return in 2016, the number of passengers could reach as many as 800 and to prepare ourselves. We crossed with less than 100 aboard and had never experienced more than 500 passengers thereafter. But he did say that he felt that 800 was the max they could handle efficiently. Need I say more?

When joining the ship in Montego Bay, when and where do you convert your money into CUC's? Can it be don onboard or do you have to wait until Santiago to take care of that? Also, what do you experienced cruisers recommend as a reasonable amount of cash (CUS's) to have with you? I know this will depend greatly from person to person, but I guess I'm looking for a range to give me an idea of how many dollars to have in my pocket before leaving home.

Returned to Montego Bay this morning. P2P program a joke. The tours were terrible. A waste of time. The history lecturer was bad. NO ONE asked for MED insurance. You get a visa and are allowed off the boat at will. The cruise itself was ok. Food commensurate with cost of the cruise which was not a lot. AC had difficulty quite often. Bars don't know how to make mixed drinks. Staff amazingly nice and hard working. Service in dining room challenging. Dinner @ 2.5 hours. The kitchen is in chaos.

Did we have a good time ? Yes. Accept it for what it is... A destination cruise. If you are used to RC or Princess or even better. Don't go, you will be miserable

I'm sorry your P2P program was a joke. I've been on Alumni Holidays programs which have some similar activities simply because as a provider of alumni travel, there's always a life-long learning aspect. I've always felt those experiences were forced and awkward.

In contrast, all but one of our P2P experiences through Friendly Planet Travel were excellent. We visited an elementary school which was dance magnet school and saw a charming performance. And we attended performances of two state-sponsored performing groups: an a capella choral group and an Afro-Cuban-Flamenco fusion dance group. Having seen great performances, our questions flowed naturally and enthusiastically.

Only our visit to a regular elementary school visit was stiff and guarded with lots of recitations of poems written by approved Cuban heroes. A higher up from the central government administration participated in the visit and spoke at length about something. (I tuned out his presentation, but I paid attention to the teachers and the students.) We were all certain his his presence was to watch the teachers and students and this produced a stiffer interaction than with the other groups, even though the other organizations were state run institutions, too. Still, in its own way the elementary school visit was informative watching how the government monitors interaction with visitors from the US.

When joining the ship in Montego Bay, when and where do you convert your money into CUC's? Can it be don onboard or do you have to wait until Santiago to take care of that? Also, what do you experienced cruisers recommend as a reasonable amount of cash (CUS's) to have with you? I know this will depend greatly from person to person, but I guess I'm looking for a range to give me an idea of how many dollars to have in my pocket before leaving home.

You are not able to convert currency aboard the ship. Your first opportunity will be at the first port of call Santiago de Cuba where you will find a Kiosk just off the dock and where they will convert your currency. We never convert anymore than one hundred dollars because each port of call has one of these kiosks where you can top up as needed. Your daily needs for example can be taxis 10-30 CUC's, lunch if you choose to about 15 CUC's souvenirs are limited but say 15 CUC's which should give you a general idea of your needs.

Edited by ONT-CA

BruceE - thank you very much for your report. Looking forward to other reports of those returning from this cruise. We are booked on the March 4 sailing.

BruceE, I looked at the reviews for Havanajourneys and they look very good so we thinking of booking them also for our time in Havana. Did you still do the ship's tour and if so was it the first morning. I was thinking if the ship's tour not that wonderful maybe it would be good to just skip it and book Havanajourneys for our first day there so we would have a full day of touring with them and then possibly using them again the second day or just exploring on our own. Any thoughts?

Did the ship offer the Tropicana tour? I am still somewhat undecided about going - some say "don't bother" and others say if you only going to be in Havana once you should go. I guess if we worked with Havanajourneys they could arrange it for us also.

ONT-CA, I want to thank you for all of your insights and sharing of your past experiences and looking forward to hearing about your upcoming cruises.

Jill

We were also on the 1st cruise of the season and had a great time, there were a few glitches but nothing major. I think the P2P program did a good job trying to provide a cultural experience, it is not mandatory to attend any of the activities or tours. We went on the included tours and had good tour guides who did their best to answer questions and provide information. The only excursion we were disappointed with was the one we paid $63 for in Maria la Gorda, optional tour #3 to Cabo San Antonio. We were lured by promise of the UNESCO biosphere reserve at a National Park where we were supposed to see flora and fauna and have encounters with the locals. It was a bus ride stopping at the coast, a light house and a not so nice beach with a with a couple of locals selling beverages out of coolers, some people begged to go back to beautiful beach at Maria la Gorda instead but they said no. This tour was not a part of the P2P program.

This was our 47th cruise and the second on this cruise line (the first time was on Louis in the Greek Islands). The ship did have a few issues but they did their best to correct them. If you go with an open mind and a spirit of adventure you should have a good experience.

... some people begged to go back to beautiful beach at Maria la Gorda instead but they said no. This tour was not a part of the P2P program..

We now have a little less apprehension about our cruise having read your comments. You have answered the question regarding excursions in that there are both the P2P tours as well as other offerings. Thank you for the heads up on the Cabo San Antanio tour. A tan in the sand beats the lure of the tour

Did you have or did you get to view the new balconies? We armchair nautical designers needed to know the means of separation of one balcony space from another, i.e., perhaps a simple panel? Thanks for your posting, glad you had a good time.

We now have a little less apprehension about our cruise having read your comments. You have answered the question regarding excursions in that there are both the P2P tours as well as other offerings. Thank you for the heads up on the Cabo San Antanio tour. A tan in the sand beats the lure of the tour

Did you have or did you get to view the new balconies? We armchair nautical designers needed to know the means of separation of one balcony space from another, i.e., perhaps a simple panel? Thanks for your posting, glad you had a good time.

I have attached two photos for you.

IMG_0947.jpg.fe45d678771aab01ae243b4bf0ca21c5.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg.99fd9f4af8aebe6922f8cbdbd999e647.jpg

I have attached two photos for you.

Thank you for the photos. Now we know how they created the balcony and the devider. moscowmark was on the mark with this one. Very impressive especially taking into consideration they did all that in 20 days

One US 110 with ground and one 220 at the desk/vanity. I brought my converter and plugs plus a US plug in that you could plug three things into but didn't need them.

Nancy, thanks for the response, with both of us using CPAPs it is always nice to plan ahead

Eagerly reading all posts, thanks for the pictures! Are there any ports that require a tender now? Another question is for dinner time. Is it one open seating time for everybody?

The only tender port is Maria La Gorda, all purchased excursions go first everyone else has to get a tender ticket.

Open seating at all restaurants starts at 6:30 pm but you can go anytime after that. The smaller one was on deck 5 and it was booked by 2 of the larger groups but if they had tables available we were able to dine there.

A few more photos of Maria La Gorda beach. cabanas, dive center, restaurants, and launch going back

Many thanks for these. This locale is a great improvement on Punta Frances where there was no shade refuge, no anything really. Looking forward to now going ashore.

I'm enjoying ALL the comments from the cruisers who went on the first sailing this season - thank you! We're on the 2/5 sailing.

A couple of other questions about the beach day at Maria La Gorda. How long were you at the beach? Can you tender back to the ship early, or at any time? Is there any decent snorkeling in the area - trying to decide if I should bring my prescription snorkel mask. Were the sand fleas….or ‘no see-ums’ a problem?

BTW, are there any others who will be on the 2/5/16 sailing?

Edited by jmbklj

We were also on the 1st cruise of the season and had a great time, there were a few glitches but nothing major. I think the P2P program did a good job trying to provide a cultural experience, it is not mandatory to attend any of the activities or tours. We went on the included tours and had good tour guides who did their best to answer questions and provide information. The only excursion we were disappointed with was the one we paid $63 for in Maria la Gorda, optional tour #3 to Cabo San Antonio. We were lured by promise of the UNESCO biosphere reserve at a National Park where we were supposed to see flora and fauna and have encounters with the locals. It was a bus ride stopping at the coast, a light house and a not so nice beach with a with a couple of locals selling beverages out of coolers, some people begged to go back to beautiful beach at Maria la Gorda instead but they said no. This tour was not a part of the P2P program.

This was our 47th cruise and the second on this cruise line (the first time was on Louis in the Greek Islands). The ship did have a few issues but they did their best to correct them. If you go with an open mind and a spirit of adventure you should have a good experience.

CruiseDirections

Assuming you departed Sangster airport for States, did you pay a departure tax? We are flying Delta and best their Rep could tell us was to put cash aside, just in case! Were Taxis readily available at Port; approximate cost Port to Airport?

Thank you so much for info.

Kiwi935, We left from Sangster Saturday afternoon after staying overnight at a nearby resort. There was no departure tax (we flew Southwest Airlines) When we landed we paid $35 US (for 3 people+luggage) to get to the cruise terminal. After the cruise there were taxis when we got through the immigration building and we were charged $40 to go to the hotel, I don't know how much they charged our friend to get to the airport which was 5 minutes further. Then from the resort to the airport we were charged $15.

I'm enjoying ALL the comments from the cruisers who went on the first sailing this season - thank you! We're on the 2/5 sailing.

A couple of other questions about the beach day at Maria La Gorda. How long were you at the beach? Can you tender back to the ship early, or at any time? Is there any decent snorkeling in the area - trying to decide if I should bring my prescription snorkel mask. Were the sand fleas….or ‘no see-ums’ a problem?

BTW, are there any others who will be on the 2/5/16 sailing?

We were supposed to arrive at 8 am but were delayed getting to the beach and the tender ride was short but bumpy because of the waves. We were on the first tender but we didn't get there until around 10 am. Without an excursion some people probably didn't get there until noon. The last tender was a 2:30 pm, I think they just continuously went back a forth but not sure. There is a reef right near the beach but people on the snorkel excursion reported there were not many fish.

I didn't see any sand fleas but there were mosquito's.