POA port help!

beeandkmon

We are sailing on the POA and need some help with our excursions. We really want to do some good snorkeling and hiking. We would love to do some "real" hiking and not a tour were we only hike a mile or so at a slow pace. Everything I have read seems to say that the best thing to do is rent a car- but this idea makes us VERY nervous. We have not really planned anything for our itinerary yet and could use some suggestions! We are open to any suggestions of things we really should do!

My first question would be, why are you "VERY nevervous" about renting a car? Do you drive at home? There's no difference, if you do.

What puts you off driving? I ask because I'm not sure how much hiking you're going to do if you don't get off the beathen path.

Diamondhead is a good hike, but I'm wondering if you mean something out in the wilderness a bit rather than a paved path full of tourists.

As the previous poster mentioned, there's no reason to be nervous about driving. We chose not to drive because DH has to fight traffic for work and has a bit of road rage :eek: For him, no driving = a real vacation. With that said, there are some areas of each island that may test your patience & nerves, but you can certainly plan accordingly.

We snorkeled in fabulous locations on three different islands - Hanuama Bay on Oahu, Molokini Crater & Turtle Town on Maui, and Kealakekua Bay in Kona on the Big Island. All of these can be reached via excursions / shuttles or you could drive yourself / make independent arrangements. For hiking, I would recommend Kauai and/or Maui - and I would suggest getting a rental car for the reasons you mentioned - setting your own pace, picking your own trails, etc. With that said, I think your best bet is to visit your local library or book store and pick up the "Revealed" book for each island and do some reading - those books are great resources for planning your adventure and will help you determine what you're most comfortable with.

Good luck & enjoy your adventure!

Re hiking ... here are a few 'real hikes' that we've really enjoyed (we've done them on land trips, but they will easily fit into a cruise port day - but only one hike per day). You'll need to rent a car to get to them and to allow enough time for them. Driving in Hawaii is easy. Best to do the hikes as early in the day as possible.

At VNP (from Hilo),

- the Kilauea Iki hike

On Maui,

- Pipiwai Trail (past Hana, at Oheo Gulch)

- Sliding Sands trail on Haleakala summit

- Waihee Ridge trail.

The latter two offer a lot of 'wow factor' for extensive views on clear days.

Sliding sands is a challenge hiking back up due to altitude ... count on taking twice as long to hike back up as down, so be careful how far you hike down.

On Kauai,

-at the Waimea Canyon Pihea Trail

-and on the north shore, the Hanakapi'ai Trail to the beach and back.

Absolutely agree with hiking at VPN. Driving a car there is very simple - it's mostly one main road (route 11 I think). Tons of places to hike and it's amazing down Chain of Craters road. The big tour buses don't go down there cause there's no where for them to turn around - I know, I asked some operators while at the Thurston lava tube. Hilo was the best day if our trip because if VPN. Good luck!

Don't be nervous about driving. It is still the USA. I was nervous about driving in Hawaii at first too. I'm a big chicken....so if I can do it you can do it. We have now done around 5 hawaii cruises and and I rent cars in every port.

If you want to do a fantastic excursion, do the Kilauea Iki Trail in Volcanoes National Park. We did the Crater Hike offered by the ship, and had a blast. It was a pleasant challenge, and not "fluff". Loved it!! Worth the cash.

Oh, and driving in Hawaii, is easy peasy. Don't stress it.

A couple of tips for Kona:

For an easy snorkel trip, there's a shuttle - the Keauhou Trolley, aka "Honu (Turtle) Express", that picks up at the pier and goes down Alii Drive for about 5 miles; last I heard the price was $2/person per trip. One of the stops is Kahalu'u Park, which has great snorkeling. Here's a link to some information:

http://www.konaweb.com/forums/shuttle.shtml

The bay does get crowded, but once you get into the water you can go out beyond most of the crowds. It's very shallow and protected from large waves, has restrooms, some nice shady areas, usually a food truck and equipment rental truck. Just allow plenty of time to get back to the ship, as the return trolleys can get crowded. Also, don't expect the trolleys to strictly adhere to the schedule - they tend to operate on "island time".

For hiking, the tips about Volcano National Park are great. It's spectacular and an experience of a lifetime, but be prepared: it's very hot and humid, with very little shade or water along the way. Wear head covering, use plenty of sunscreen, wear sturdy shoes for walking on uneven lava rock, and carry plenty of water. Visit the park headquarters first for maps and up-to-date safety information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can highly recommend a tour guide in Kauai. His name is Jay from Tread Lightly. The website is http://treadlightlykauai.com/ He will personalize your tour for you, and he loves a good hike, and knows all the great hiking trails. He sounds just perfect for what you are after! We recently spent a day with him, and he picked us up from the wharf, dropped us off in plenty of time.....I have no hesitation in recommending him for a fantastic day.

Archived