Back from Dream last night

Just to give everyone the latest on the dream. Didn't start well, we had a 5 hr delay and got on board at 11.15pm. Check in was the quickest ever, we picked up our cruise cards and got straight on board - had our safety drill in the disco and our cases were at our cabin when we got back from the drill.

Staff are as great as ever and I think Thomson will need to rely on them more and more for returning passengers. As previous travellers mentioned staff were serving food in Sirens until Tuesday morning then we could serve ourselves - but only till Thursday and then it was back to staff service. The Jacuzzies were never filled whilst we were on and pools on both decks were emptied by Friday. Norovirus had struck again but I don't think too many people were affected, the Captain mentioned it as a problem coming from the UK when he made his "no shaking hands" speech.

The cleaning staff were very thorough, paying a lot of attention to handrails and lift buttons etc but they can't do anything to stop stupid people who are still leaving the toilets WITHOUT washing their hands, unbelievable !

As said before the AI has a reduced choice for things like Whiskey only a few without a supplement and soft drinks in cans are charged also but glasses of the same drinks are free.

Weather was hit and miss with a force 10 gale on Thursday evening- that was a very bumpy ride but the waiters did a magnificent job balancing trays full of drinks when I could hardly walk in a straight line.

The ship was thoroughly cleaned on Saturday - could hardly breathe through the cleaning fumes so hopefully they are getting on top of the problem. Disembarkation was swift and efficient. We were allowed to stay on board until our normal departure time.

Still had a good time but with some reservations this time.

Thanks for the update China doll :)

I had a call from Thomson on Friday regarding my email. I can't remember everything she said (I wish they would email) but basically it was the old excuses :rolleyes:

Customers bring on the bug and don't tell the truth on the health questionaires!

Noro virus is airborne :confused: No, I don't think it is!

The handgel kills Noro VIRUS :confused: No it doesn't - it is an anti-BACTERIAL gel!

When I asked about the new crew members being checked, she said they all had medicals , but I'm not sure what they test them for!

When I asked if there had been illness before we got on, she said she didn't know :rolleyes:

When I mentioned the bathrooms, she said there were no plans to upgrade them :(

I didn't expect them to phone me and I had just returned from shopping when she rang. So I wasn't really prepared for the call and didn't have my computer on to check what I had written two weeks ago! So my advice is, if you do email them, to keep a copy by the phone just in case!

Hi Linda

Thanks foe the heads up. I don't think Thomson admin staff have any regard for their customers at all. If it wasn't for the first rate service of the crew I think Thomson would lose most customers because of their abysmal customer service.

Now days when you can easily buy automatic soap dispensers I am staggered that cruise lines do not use them in public areas. I recall reading on here a member saying how she washes her hands and then uses the paper towel to open the door, holds door open with foot, lean in and bin the paper towel. If it keeps you safe on holiday a procedure worth adopting.

If I have e-mailed anything like that, I ask for a reply by e-mail. I say they keep a record of phone calls but I haven't the ability to remember everything said in a phone call. It sometimes works!
Good idea. I will do that next time I have to contact them :)

Now days when you can easily buy automatic soap dispensers I am staggered that cruise lines do not use them in public areas. I recall reading on here a member saying how she washes her hands and then uses the paper towel to open the door, holds door open with foot, lean in and bin the paper towel. If it keeps you safe on holiday a procedure worth adopting.

It would also be a good idea to have a bin outside the toilet door as sometimes the bin inside is not near enough to do that, Also why not have hand gel (ANTIVIRAL:rolleyes:) outside the toilets.

Mind you the same people who don't wash their hands would be the same people who wouldn't use the gels :(

That was me. I do the same in public toilets at home. Others said they do the same.

That was me. I do the same in public toilets at home. Others said they do the same.

Likewise! And even then I use an anti-viral once clear of the toilets/doors and if I'm in the Dept store I have to be careful to walk down the stairs without using the hand-rails! :eek: :D

Likewise! And even then I use an anti-viral once clear of the toilets/doors and if I'm in the Dept store I have to be careful to walk down the stairs without using the hand-rails! :eek: :D

Me too :) I laugh when the captain says hold on to the handrails when the ship is moving and then they tell us the germ are on the handrails :D:D

It may appear to be paranoid but the consequence of being ill on the holiday we have all looked forward to and counted down to should I would have thought made everyone go over the top with hand hygiene. In my work I have to do a refresher each year on how to wash your hands. A lesson could be given as we embark and fill in the health questionnaire.

It would also be a good idea to have a bin outside the toilet door as sometimes the bin inside is not near enough to do that, Also why not have hand gel (ANTIVIRAL:rolleyes:) outside the toilets.

Mind you the same people who don't wash their hands would be the same people who wouldn't use the gels :(

Linda there is certainly antivital hand gel outside the toilets which are near the reception area. Rarely did I se anyone using this.

I do the exact same - even in work :D - first cruise I was on IE, I was asked by another passenger if I was a nurse because of the way I washed my hands :confused: :eek: ahem, this is the way you are supposed to wash your hands

What annoys me is the passengers who lean over you in the buffet and grab food (chips) with their hands - and worse when passengers go up for seconds and they go up with their dirty/same plate :eek:

If I see anyone nearby using their hands to pick up food I can't help myself, I have to tell them not to. I also take small hand gels with me to use at the table after I've used serving tongs, salt and pepper etc. ( just in case the previous person didn't bother with the hand gels). hubby thinks I'm paranoid, he's probably right!

At the end of the day its down to the management on board to manage these situations properly. Whether it be norovirus, sunbed hogging, food quality or whatever, its the responsibility of the resident Thomson manager on board to deal with it. The Thomson manager on board is the head honcho and has ultimate responsibility. By the way, thats not the captain - his job is to get the ship from A to B safely and on time. Nor is it the cruise director - his job begins and ends with entertainment. I believe many of the Dream problems could be reduced if it was managed better. Its a very nice ship and of course the staff are great as always but it is these continual failings which, for me, make it my least favourite.

If I see anyone nearby using their hands to pick up food I can't help myself, I have to tell them not to. I also take small hand gels with me to use at the table after I've used serving tongs, salt and pepper etc. ( just in case the previous person didn't bother with the hand gels). hubby thinks I'm paranoid, he's probably right!
Never mind what he says - you didn't succomb to the bug did you :)

I forgot my hand gel this time and look what happened - I was sick. Shan't go anywhere without it now ;):D

Never mind what he says - you didn't succomb to the bug did you :)

I forgot my hand gel this time and look what happened - I was sick. Shan't go anywhere without it now ;):D

No, we were both fine thankfully. It's such a shame when you look forward to your cruise and something that could be avoided does happen but hopefully they are getting on top of it now, hope so for all the folks still waiting to go :)

Wwo, I'm shocked. I have just returned from the Majesty and they were absolutely determined that everyone used the hand gel. If you walked out of a restaurant and back in two seconds later then you were greeted with the man with hand gel. No one, that I know of was ill on board, it was spotless and hygiene was top of the agenda. Shame they don't seem to be the same on the Dream. So sorry about to hear of your experience.

Archived