1st time Carnival cruiser (DREAM) complete review & pictorial (from a NCL cruiser)

mitsugirly

Along the way...here is a plant. It is a nice plant. It is a highly sought after plant I would assume to some. Who says money doesn't grow on trees? Well you are wrong because that is exactly what this is...a money tree. Well, not really but yeah really. This plant has the ink in it that they use to make money with.

P5130218-M.jpg

She's off and running again...looking for that tarantula

P5130219-M.jpg

This is some type of huge water vine that grows in the rain forest. You can cut it and have a water supply.

P5130220-M.jpg

I felt like playing George of the Jungle at this moment and pounding on my chest.

P5130221-M.jpg

I stopped to take pictures while we waited a good 5 minutes for Brayden to catch up again...dragging feet and all.

P5130222-M.jpg

Then we came to this...how was Brayden ever going to walk up this??? It would take hours...and it did.

P5130223-M.jpg

Well not really, but it was a task.

Up we go

P5130225-M.jpg

Along the way you could look over and see the beautiful water

P5130224-M.jpg

More caves to walk in

P5130232-M.jpg

For those days that your "significant other" gets on your nerves (like mine is tonight by dragging home a stray cat tonight), you might want to grow some Guadua longifolia in your back yard, otherwise known as spiney bamboo.

P5130239-M.jpg

Cohune Palm trees grow wild all over the rainforest in Belize. They can reach heights of 90 feet. Their giant palms are used for thatching houses or building shelters. They are the biggest things I have ever seen and so bold and beautiful.

P5130238-M.jpg

P5130241-M.jpg

Some deformed tree...I was ready to use its legs as a crutch for Brayden...he's still dragging behind while the guide was patiently waiting. I felt so bad for the other couple with us having to wait as well. It's one thing if it's just your group, but an entire different story when someone else in the party has to put up with it too. I really felt bad.

P5130240-M.jpg

We came to an area that had all of these little red seeds everywhere. Most were in a line and pretty well formed. When we ask about it, we were told of some type of ant that carries these seeds and drops them along the way forming a path. It was neat to follow their path. This must have been their resting place because there were a bunch here.

P5130242-M.jpg

Then we arrive at one of the many all might termite nests. Yes, we tried this last time and we will be trying them again.

P5130243-M.jpg

Our guide quickly bust one open and started digging for us while they scurried away knowing their fate. I guess they have done this a few times in their lives.

P5130244-M.jpg

Sakari dropped a few of hers and had to try them again but first she wanted to play with them. Now last time we had them, they were so minty. This time, a little minty but I have to say that they didn't taste the same. I wonder why this was? Just because it was a different colony? Different time of the season? I'm not sure. It was just different for sure.

P5130247-M.jpg

We come to the part that the tour companies will ask you if you want to keep going and head to the upper part of the falls or if you want to just get in the water here instead and just go to the lower part with only the 1 cave. We really debated on this. We inquired what the other couple wanted to do and said it didn't really matter to us. We didn't want to say "Let's just get in here since Brayden was having such a hard time with this walk and his sunburn" and rob them of the experience. Then I remembered, the tarantula was AFTER this area. So, I knew I really wanted to keep going and so did Sakari. It's all she talked about. So I mentioned this to the guide and he nodded and said "yes, you will have to go further to see and hold the tarantula." So, we did.

P5130248-M.jpg

This was one of the pineapple plants (or is it considered a tree?) that we seen along the way. It was small.

P5130249-M.jpg

There was another plant that when you break it open it has a liquid inside that you could write with. It was like a fluorescent orange highlighter. At first Sakari was scared of it when the guide grabbed her hand. So, mommy being the brave person that she is let Saied perform this tribal initiation on her first. Then Sakari was fine with it. We both got smiley faces. I'm sad that my picture didn't turn out better because we were in the shade.

P5130250-M.jpg

P5130252-M.jpg

Remember the spiney bamboo? Well, this is the older, wiser version...the knobby bamboo (just kidding, I can't remember what he called these, but it was something like cow horns or something).

P5130255-M.jpg

P5130256-M.jpg

Along the trails Sakari had discovered these fuzzy little (what she thought) creatures and ask why they weren't moving. She proudly showed me her capture for the day (thinking they were caterpillars). It turns out they are some type of seed that bursts open and this is the remains. They were here and there along the trail. Just enough to make Sakari think they were a caterpillar on the ground each time. LOL

P5130257-M.jpg

Brayden still following way behind, complaining and whining, the guide offered several times to give him a shoulder ride the rest of the way. He declined every time, making the rest of us miserable as well. So, Sakari's no fool, she took him up on the "free ride".

P5130258-M.jpg

We kept telling Brayden about the big giant spider he would be getting to hold and tell everyone at school about if he would just WALK!

More termites...

P5130259-M.jpg

So, they tell you it's only about another 10 minute walk to the higher part of the river, but I don't know about that. It seems like much longer and it seems like eternity when you bring Brayden along. I suggest non of you ever take Brayden along for your excursion.

We FINALLY MADE IT....whoda thought?

It-was-crowded!!!

P5130260-M.jpg

Wait, hold up. We completely passed the tarantula? ARE YOU FRICKEN SERIOUS???? That was the ONLY reason we kept going on. I had been promising the 2 little ones to hold the big spider the entire trip and coaxing them to keep going for this spider that we didn't even stop for? Ok, now I'm upset! Guess who else is????

P5130261-M.jpg

So I'm telling my husband how upset I was about not stopping for the spider otherwise we would have just went in a long time ago and got this trip over with since Brayden was being so bad. He then tells me that him and the tour guide were talking about the tarantula and the tour guide was acting funny about it. He was telling him that the tarantual doesn't like to come out...it's not wanting to be held now, it keeps digging its home deeper and deeper to stay away from the tourist...blah blah blah. Um ok then. Why didn't you just SAY THIS when all I did was talk about it and telling our kids they were going to get to hold it??? Really? Don't be advertising on your website that you're the ONLY company that takes the tarantulas out for tourist to hold and experience this if you are no longer going to do it. I honestly just think that it was this guide that didn't want to do it. If that was the case, I feel like he should have told us right from the beginning and not led us on about it. We had some disappointed kids now. Thanks!

Everyone from the other companies were all standing in the LONG lines waiting to get down into the water. Our tour guide says come on and motions us around everyone. Yes, we were getting the dirty glares from everyone. We are weaving in and out of everyone and I'm feeling a bit weird about this. We get up to the front and you are up high above the water. We stood there in this space while others are in line going down the steps to get in to the water. The guides that were there were kind of just looking around (these are the guides from the company that had been waiting on us and carried the tubes prior to us getting there). We stood and stood and finally we decided to grab the tubes and put them down and sit down. It was a LONG walk with the munchkins (well, with Brayden, Sakari didn't have a problem, even at 3 years old there was no problem).

P5130265-M.jpg

IMG_0239-M.jpg

Brayden, upset and whining still, decided not to be a part of the "group" and plopped down on the ground and pouted...about the walk, about no spider, about being burned, about being hot, about whatever he could.

P5130262-M.jpg

Kendras self-portrait just because that's how she is.

IMG_0238-M.jpg

So we were sitting there wondering what is going on and why we are just sitting there. Finally one of the guides decided that he would have to go stand in line with the rest of the people if we ever wanted to get down to the river. Um duh??? So trying to make up for this period of just standing around wondering what was going on and why we were rushed to the front as if we just become a VIFCTP (Very Important Cave Tube Person) only to find out we went going to be let in by any of those already standing in line waiting for their turn (as I would expect no less from any of them), they tried to cover themselves and said "See, everyone else has to stand in line and here at .bz we stand in line for you while you rest." Then they informed us that they had one of their members standing in line for us so we didn't have to.

I decided to get up after awhile and take some pictures from above. It was beautiful and amazing looking and really far down.

P5130267-M.jpg

P5130268-M.jpg

P5130269-M.jpg

P5130272-M.jpg

More beautiful pictures looking down.

P5130273-M.jpg

So here come our "place in line" guide and what do you know...he's basically LAST in line with only 1 other small group of about 5 people behind him. LMBO! Really? Had we just got in line when we first arrived, we would have already been in the water.

So we "jumped" in line, with the mean glares of the 5 people in the group behind us and started down the steps to the river.

P5130274-S.jpg

Since the water was so low this time around, the walkway ladder that you walk down to get in to the water was really steep. Like it almost scared me steep. There was no handrail to hang on to and only pieces of 2x2's to use to brace yourself on the "plank". It was a chore to get Sakari down it and even a bigger chore to get myself down it. I do not have a good record of having the ability to keep my balance (remember the broken hand review from St Maarten while on my cruise?).

P5130278-M.jpg

This is probably one of the most embarrassing pictures I have ever taken in my life and the most compromised you will ever find me in (well, in public I guess) wink wink. But I'm in one of those "I'm burned out on school work and the day in whole" moods and you guys are lucky that I'm going to share this with you. I know I will regret it in the morning and for years to come.

So this, is how they get you into the tube. I know people have ask about this several times on the board. Well...here ya go. You turn around, plant your feet at the end of the dock, they hold your hand and you fall backwards into the tube while someone in the water is catching you. I haven't missed yet.

IMG_0241-M.jpg

We are waiting for Kendra and Brayden to get in behind us...just look at the enthusiasm on Sakaris face while she waits.

P5130283-M.jpg

I think we have everyone now.

P5130284-M.jpg

Brayden is still not impressed or happy.

Edited by mitsugirly

Ready to cruise down the river and relax for awhile.

IMG_0261-S.jpg

Something else that was different this time around (from our last experience), they have updated the tubes and they now have the headrest. They also no longer link your feet to armpits. They are linked together like this:

P5130354-M.jpg

We were in single file. I noticed others were side by side with 3 in a row.

Here we go in to the caves...camera(s) don't fail me this time around because this is the last time I'm doing this excursion again.

P5130286-M.jpg

We made it in the cave. Lights on everyone. Our tour guide took this. Someone needs to show him how to hold the button down to focus before pressing it the rest of the way down to snap a picture.

P5130296-M.jpg

IMG_0247-M.jpg

Well, it's a cave. What did you expect?

P5130305-M.jpg

P5130330-M.jpg

See those holes up there? Those are bat holes with bats in them.

P5130335-M.jpg

P5130344-M.jpg

There is a place you come to that is pretty big and open. It has several waterfalls there. They take you right up by the waterfalls and ask you if you want to get wet. I did of course.

P5130367-M.jpg

P5130360-M.jpg

The jellyfish stalactite.

P5130381-M.jpg

Still floating along. I have no idea where these guys came from or why they were out of the water.

P5130403-M.jpg

P5130404-M.jpg

The guide mentioned something about if we would have took the first exit to the caves instead of going on, you know...in order to see the tarantula? Then this is where you would get in. But, I'm not sure because it's on the opposite side of where we were unless I was really turned around.

P5130406-M.jpg

Still not happy

P5130414-M.jpg

I have tons of pictures that I turned around to snap pictures of Kendra and her family...they all pretty much had the same scene to them...Brayden crying.

P5130423-M.jpg

P5130424-M.jpg

The water is just so pretty. Are you sure it's not the ocean?

P5130428-M.jpg

P5130430-M.jpg

Since we went during "low" season, there were a lot of places they had to yell "butts up". Yea, some of these rocks could really hurt you.

P5130434-M.jpg

P5130446-M.jpg

P5130449-M.jpg

P5130450-M.jpg

Can you guys tell I'm getting tired? It's 1 am in the morning and I'm actually running out of things to say about the pictures. A cave is a cave, this one just happens to have water running in it, we just happen to be floating down it and that's that. I'm not sure what else there is to say. So, just sit back and enjoy the rest of the pictures and try your best to drown out the crying you hear in the background. It's just Brayden.

P5130452-M.jpg

P5130454-M.jpg

There was a time that the guide says "If you want to get out of the tubes and swim the rest of the way back, you can here." Who do you think was the first out of the tube? Who do you think you didn't have to tell twice? I bet you guessed right. It was funny just minutes before this (and I caught this on film) Sakari said "come on already, I have some swimming to do. Is this over?"

P5130455-M.jpg

Don't you just hate water cameras when they are pulled up out of the water and you get a picture like this? It kinda ruins things...but Sakari was having a blast.

P5130462-M.jpg

So like always, when it was time to go...she was upset about having to get out of the water.

P5130464-M.jpg

On the walk back, I found this little guy in the trees. Is that Toucan Sam? He flew off before anyone else in my family could see him.

IMG_0264-M.jpg

Now it was time to pile back into the vans and head to Vitalinos place to get our grub on. I remember from the last time, it was darn good and I know we were starving after such a long day.

We arrived and was seated and immediately it was time for the hubby to access the wifi so that he could try to play catch up on some of his work.

P5130475-M.jpg

Our meals are coming...yum

P5130476-M.jpg

Stewed chicken, rice and beans, and cole slaw

P5130477-M.jpg

It was just as good as the last time. Sakari even enjoyed it so much she ask for more chicken.

P5130483-M.jpg

Yes, I had to have a second plate. I wasn't about to pass that up.

Last time we were there, they had a few of the tables set up and had it as their "gift shop". They have expanded a little now and actually have an area dedicated to their store which left the dining room bigger. The dinning room is outside and it is under a roof.

P5130480-M.jpg

P5130481-M.jpg

One of the good things is that they serve you drinks from a glass bottle. I love drinking soda from a glass bottle. Although they didn't have any diet or "light" as they call it in the other countries, I had to have a regular Coke. I'm positive this caused at least a good 2 pounds of my weight gain on this cruise. wink wink

P5130482-M.jpg

Sakari had orange and when I told her that her tongue was now orange, she made me take a picture of it to prove it. I'm sure she has lost all trust in me at this point since I promised a tarantula and didn't deliver.

P5130489-M.jpg

Coming back to the report, I'm going over in my head the craziness we encountered when we returned last time. We pulled up and it was like an entourage of paparazzi waiting outside of the van for you to get out and try to get you to buying their items. They were pulling and grabbing and you were doing your best to make it to the steps, flash your ship card and make it through the doors safely.

This time, nothing. No one at all waiting and we were dropped off right before you get to the other place we went in last time.

P5130498-M.jpg

How weird. I was fully prepared to grab my kid, encase her with all of my might and make a run for it. I felt pretty relieved.

P5130499-M.jpg

Walking back in to the port and by all of the little shops.

P5130501-M.jpg

One of the tenders ready to take you over to "glitzy" (Dream)

P5130502-M.jpg

We decided to do a little shopping prior to getting back on the tender.

P5130503-M.jpg

We did encounter a line for the tenders. It wasn't really bad. They did have a stand with some lemonade to drink while you waited. When the next tender came, in was able to hold everyone that was in the line.

P5130504-M.jpg

P5130506-M.jpg

One last picture of the City of Belize as we pulled away on the tender. This was for my husband...who drive a Jaguar. I thought he would like it since I didn't think he noticed it earlier.

P5130507-M.jpg

We got off the tender and waited in the lines (like we did the day before) for the elevators. It was a mad house. I have never experienced such a crowd. I guess this is what happens when you sail at full capacity. I know we must have been standing for a good 15 minutes if not longer. The problem was, as we were standing in front of the many elevators, one would come down in a totally different area and the people would jump on it...even if they just got there. So we waited and waited. I was not about to climb 9 flights of stairs.

Ok, so it's almost 2am and I seem to be getting back in to my old routine of being a night owl again. It's time for me to stop and I'll continue tomorrow some time if I get a chance with the rest of our activities from this day after getting back on board.

I have work tomorrow and don't get off until midnight. I might try to post a bit prior to leaving. If not, maybe once I get back home that night.

Hope you continue to enjoy our day in Belize, without the tears like my grandson. ;)

No, I did not know about the pasta bar...until starting this review and people have mentioned it when I ask about it. It just always looked closed so we never went up there. I don't even know how to access it from up stairs. I don't think I ever found that. Is it a pay place? No one has answered that question for me yet.

There are stairs at the rear of the Lido buffet area that go up to the Pasta Bar. There is no charge. They give you a card, you check off what you want, turn it in, have a seat and they deliver your order to you. Yummy :)

"Kendras self-portrait just because that's how she is."

This could be an ad for sunglasses -- she has beautiful eyes. I love how her makeup is perfect even after tubing and hiking and putting up with a fussy little one!

Edited by Georgia Peach 4

So I know you won't be doing the .bz tour again, but would you still recommend for a first timer? We are going in August (me, DW, DS-11, and DD-9).

Yes, I would recommend you experience at least once. We had a wonderful time the first time and an ok time the second time around. I think it's just because I knew everything about the tour and it was the same thing as before that it wasn't as exciting this time. It kind of spoiled things already know the things that they would be pointing out and what we would be hearing. The grandson just didn't make it as pleasurable as it should have been. Cave tubing seems to be the "in" thing to do in Belize. So, if you have never done it before, I would definitely do it for the experience. :)

"Kendras self-portrait just because that's how she is."

This could be an ad for sunglasses -- she has beautiful eyes. I love how her makeup is perfect even after tubing and hiking and putting up with a fussy little one!

That's how she is. She has been on enough cruises to know that you get your pictures taken when you get off the ship with all the different "characters" and she always gets up, does her make up and hair so that she can get good pictures. She took this picture after the hike and we were waiting to jump in line to enter the water...so not wet yet. Me on the other hand, I throw my wet hair in a pony tail, no make up, and I'm ready to head to port because I always know what we are about to do is going to wash it off anyhow. LOL So now you know what we were always sitting up on the pool deck waiting on her to arrive to get off the ship. :D :p

mitsugirly - Loving your review!! Can't get enough!! Our group (14) will be cruising on the Dream in October and we have booked the cave tubing with .bz too!! So I was super excited to read your review of your experience!! The kids are adorable (melt down and all)!!