First Time Cruise: Basic questions on Celebrity

lreinstein

Hi

My wife and I are planning to take our first cruise of the Adriatic on Celebrity to celebrate our 20th anniversary. I have some basic questions

1. The whole beverages thing is a bit overwhelming. If I eat in the main restaurant and want a glass of water, is there a charge? What about a diet coke? Is the "tap" water drinkable?

2. Which beverage package (or NONE) would be be best off with? We typically like very good coffee in the morning. Drink mainly seltzer/club soda throughout the day. And at night have a dry-martini (premium gin) and perhaps a good glass of wine with dinner. Based upon this, what is recommended?

3. We are not leaving for about 14 months. I want a really good concierge class or veranda cabin so was planning to book now to have a much wider choice. Since it is our first cruise and a special occasion I was not going to worry too much about the savings I might be giving up. Is this foolish? Am I better off waiting? Is it OK to book directly for a cruise line agent?

Thank you for your patient help.

Larry

Ice water is free and plentiful onboard. Served to you in the MDR, self serve up in the Oceanview Cafe (buffet).

If you are planning on sailing on a Solstice Class vessel, the verandah cabins and concierge class cabins are the same size, so unless you want to pay more for the extras of concierge or aqua class, stick with the verandah. On the Celebrity board here at CC there is a 'sticky' with reviews of cabins on the Solstice class. EM

Thanks.

I am pretty excited about all of this. I am 68 and never been on a cruise. Partly because I have been severely (REALLY) seasick a couple times in my life. And, when I was young I used to like tour Europe in a car and stay in local hotels, B&Bs etc. Now, I am more used to my comforts and thought I would give this a try. Also, because it is a first time, and an anniversary, I thought the extra amenities might be fun. And we are fussy about pillows:-)!

Larry

Thanks.

I am pretty excited about all of this. I am 68 and never been on a cruise. Partly because I have been severely (REALLY) seasick a couple times in my life. And, when I was young I used to like tour Europe in a car and stay in local hotels, B&Bs etc. Now, I am more used to my comforts and thought I would give this a try. Also, because it is a first time, and an anniversary, I thought the extra amenities might be fun. And we are fussy about pillows:-)!

Larry

There are solutions to seasickness - including the OTC stuff; seabands, etc. However, you can get a patch from your Doctor to wear behind your ear. I've seen lots of people with them on cruises.

Good luck and enjoy your first cruise.

Archived