train to Rome on Sunday

nikita606

I'm thinking about using the BIRG tickets to do Rome on our own, but there are not as many trains on Sunday. The Nieuw Amsterdam is scheduled to arrive at 7 am and depart at 7 pm on July 21. I don't know when the all aboard will be, but I'm guessing 6:30. BIRG trains depart at 7:34, 8:02, and 8:41. I figure we'll be lucky to make the 8:02. Coming back trains are scheduled to arrive at Civitavecchia at 4:00, 5:11, and 6:05. I would like to take the one that arrives at 5:11, but if something goes wrong I don't know if the one arriving at 6:05 would allow enough time to get back before the all aboard. I hate to take the 4:00 train and lose precious touring time. Advice?

Being somewhat familiar with the trains at Civitavecchia and Rome, I'd say that you should be able to make the 8:02 fairly easily (as long as you are ready to go). Some even make the earlier train.

Coming back, I'd aim to take the train that arrives at 5:11 and consider the later one my fallback. Again, it would be tight, but if you arrive at 6:05 and walk briskly, there's a pretty good likelihood of making it back by 6:30 or possibly a few miinutes after. (It's unlikely they wouldn't let you on if you arrive at 6:40).

Some may be more cautious than me, but that's what I would do.

HAL's fleetwide policy for all aboard is 30 minutes prior to scheduled sailing.

As discussed frequently here, you need to work about 4 blocks from the train station, then catch a port shuttle. For the 6:05 arrival, that would be a bit tight.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure what we should do. If the train arriving at 6:05 were even a little late, we wouldn't make it. How much trust should I have that the 5:11 will arrive within 30 minutes of the time scheduled? Do I really need a "backup train"?

Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure what we should do. If the train arriving at 6:05 were even a little late, we wouldn't make it. How much trust should I have that the 5:11 will arrive within 30 minutes of the time scheduled? Do I really need a "backup train"?

It depends on your risk tolerance. Would you freak out if there is a delay and you miss your ship? Or would you say "No big deal. I'll just get a hotel and rejoin my ship at its next port."

That said, another option depending on where your next port is, is to tell the cruise line in advance that you're spending the night in Rome and will rejoin at the next port. Then you'd be able to sightsee until you drop and enjoy an evening in Rome.

For me, it's not so much about whether the train arrives within 30 minutes of its scheduled time, but rather whether something in Rome would detain me enough that I miss the train with the 5:11 arrival.

Although I wouldn't push the point, I will tell you from watching others board the ship that while the "all aboard" is definitely 30 minutes in advance, there is a very low likelihood that you wouldn't be let on if you were a few minutes late. Yes, you should strive to be back on time, but especially in places like Rome where full day tour buses will be arriving back up until the last minute, it's not that much of a risk to be 5-10 minutes PAST the all aboard time.

Archived