Weather in November for B2B2B Greek Isles, Adriatic/Greece/Turkey, and Western Med?

We are in the process of booking a back-to-back-to-back Eastern Mediterranean/Greek Isles, Eastern Mediterranean/Adriatic, Greece & Turkey, and Western Mediterranean cruise for Fall 2014. We want to choose the "best" weeks in terms of temperature not too hot or too cold, little or no rain, calm seas and smooth sailing, no missed ports, few tourists, few children, etc. We have been looking at various weeks in September and October. We are of the understanding that those are the "best" months to go. However, we're getting some feedback to consider November. We've heard mixed things about November. Some people say they've had fabulous weather in November. Other people report cold weather, rain, rough seas, missed ports, etc. We understand that weather is unpredictable and that any week can be good or bad. However, we want to choose the weeks that will have the best chances of good weather. I am in the process of reviewing the data on http://www.wunderground.com. It's helping and overwhelming me at the same time. There are several advantages for us of going November 1-22. We would save ~$2,500. We would not have to change ships. We would not have to fly from Venice to Barcelona. We would not have to worry about choosing between avoiding travel over the Jewish High Holy Days or being on cruises then, choosing between being at sea vs in a port for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, etc. We would not have to worry about being away prior to a bat mitzvah that I am officiating on October 25th and when I would schedule the rehearsals, etc. However, our primary concern is picking the "best" weeks weather-wise, and we can work all of that other stuff around those decisions. Therefore, we'd like any and all feedback based on your experiences of cruising the Mediterranean in November. Specifically, your experiences cruising the Eastern Mediterranean ~November 1-15 and the Western Mediterranean ~November 15-22. Thank you so much!

• 4 weeks later...

In Nov. 2009 , we did 4 B2B cruises in the Mediterranea covering Turkey , the Greek Islands , Cyprus , the Adriatic and Western Mediterranea (Genova , Livorno , Roma , Sorrento , Messina , Malta ,Tunis ,Malaga , Barcelona ,Nice and Marseilles ) . We had good weather most of the time ranging from 15C (63F) to 25C (78F) .

We got pouring rain in Mykonos and Dubrovnik , a drizzle in Corfou and Barcelona . Western Mediterranea was cooler than the Eastern portion but we were able to take the HOHO bus , sitting outside in Barcelona , Marseilles and Malaga .

One additional advantage of traveling in November : tours are much cheaper . We bargained a cab for the day in Ephesus for $25 , a guide for 3 in Bodrum for $30 and for 4 in Athens for $38 !!!!

We are doing Eastern Mediterranea again in November this year !

You have a good chance (with the usual caveat) of fine weather in the Eastern Med in early November. The possible exception is that it might be cool in Istanbul. If you are headed to Israel or Egypt, it should be nice. It could be a bit windy (but probably warm) around some of the Greek isles.

The Western Med in later November is a bit more "iffy". Ports like Naples, Sicily, Barcelona would probably be fine. Venice could be gray and rainy. Rome, Florence and southern France could be cool with some potential for rain.

If there is a storm, you could hit some rougher seas. But that could happen anytime, I suppose. On a cruise in late October last year our ship couldn't get into Civitavecchia due to high winds -- but this is rare. On another October cruise (different year), we had some rough weather at Rhodes (couldn't tender in to Lindos, which was planned). I've not ever had a port cancelled in November though.

If it was me, I'd do the itinerary you are asking about as it seems to have a lot of advantages. But you seem extremely concerned about the weather!

In 2009 we had perfect weather from when we arrived in Rome on Nov. 11 until we were on the way to the airport in Athens on Dec. 1 (when it rained.) We were in the eastern Mediterranean.

For our land tour in Italy and the Dalmation coast in October, 2011 we had some very cold weather and rain. We just missed the devastating rains which happened in Tuscany and Cinque Terre.

So you just have to take your chances. We found it wonderful to be without tourist crowds in Athens, Ephesus, etc. so a bit of cooler weather (which we didn't have) would be worth it.

Thank you all so much! It really is something to think about! It is tempting due to the savings and the convenience! However, we're very concerned about the risk of bad weather!

If weather is a big factor in your decision, I'd recommend going in mid- or late-Sept. We have been there three times, late Sept, mid-Oct on cruises, and mid-Nov. on a land trip. Just our experience, but we thought Sept was the absolute best time to go.

If weather is a big factor in your decision, I'd recommend going in mid- or late-Sept. We have been there three times, late Sept, mid-Oct on cruises, and mid-Nov. on a land trip. Just our experience, but we thought Sept was the absolute best time to go.

That's what we're leaning towards. Either May 24-June 15 or September 13-October 5.

Archived