Dubrovnik vs Split

Dubrovnik vs Split  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Dubrovnik vs Split

• Dubrovnik
    • Split

Both are wonderful places worth spending several days as we did on a land tour. Both have scenery and ambiance. Both have history. Dubrovnik has more ambiance. Split has more history. These of course are my opinions and others may disagree. You can check on ships in ports by searching for the web site of the particular port or by going to cruisetimetables or cruisett.

Great summary with "Dubrovnik has more ambiance. Split has more history." As detailed below, we really liked Dubrovnik. Not yet been to Split, but it is on our future to-do list. Much does depend on how many ships are in port that day and if things are hot, hot that day when visiting Dubrovnik. We were super lucky in June 2011 to be on the only cruise ship there and have nice 70's temperatures, light breeze. Wonderful there!!!

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 15,509 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,972 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Great summary with "Dubrovnik has more ambiance. Split has more history." As detailed below, we really liked Dubrovnik. Not yet been to Split, but it is on our future to-do list. Much does depend on how many ships are in port that day and if things are hot, hot that day when visiting Dubrovnik. We were super lucky in June 2011 to be on the only cruise ship there and have nice 70's temperatures, light breeze. Wonderful there!!!

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 15,509 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,972 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks again! As always! I devoured your reports and photos this weekend! WOW!!!!!

Thank you! Can you say why you prefer Dubrovnik?

Just a personal preference, I suppose. Enjoyed walking the wall, watching the divers, checking out the quiet alleys, etc. Weather was great the day we were there, not super hot. Split was nice too, but the day we were there it was very crowded at the palace area. But then, we did not explore away from town.

Just a personal preference, I suppose. Enjoyed walking the wall, watching the divers, checking out the quiet alleys, etc. Weather was great the day we were there, not super hot. Split was nice too, but the day we were there it was very crowded at the palace area. But then, we did not explore away from town.

Thanks again! That is very helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed Split, too, but was actually disappointed by the palace. No one ever told me that there was so little of the palace still to see. Stupid me, I should have known better but..... My son is really into Roman history right now so he was really looking forward to the palace. To his 7-year-old mind, there was no palace because he was completely unable to use his mind's eye to picture it.

We were lucky to be in Dubrovnik on days when there were only 1 boat at dock and because we were staying in D we got out and did a bunch of our sightseeing BEFORE the cruisers arrived. The walls were AWESOME with only about ten of us out there in the morning when it first opened. Be aware! FITNESS can be an issue. Mobility is very easy in Split compared with Dubrovnik! Dubrovnik IS a stairmaster!! I loved looking down from the walls into real people's gardens where they were just sitting on their terraces soaking up the sun (this was right during all the flooding in central Europe).

The choice was very easy for me (and for my husband and son, too!)

Armyfrau, that's not true. WHOLE palace is still there, it's wide, and it's the best preserved Roman ruin in the world. That's because people still live inside, they've never left. Diocletian palace is not just one house, it's the whole center of our city.

Past times:

14751.jpg&w=300&h=225&ei=UdbCUYmoEtD74QTo5oCwDA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:5,s:0,i:100&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=180&tbnw=233&start=0&ndsp=15&tx=115&ty=82

14751.jpg

Today:

dioklecijanova_palaca_001.jpg

Split-panorama.jpg&w=600&h=600&ei=UdbCUYmoEtD74QTo5oCwDA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:9,s:0,i:112&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=190&tbnw=184&start=0&ndsp=15&tx=69&ty=71

Enjoyed Split, too, but was actually disappointed by the palace. No one ever told me that there was so little of the palace still to see. Stupid me, I should have known better but..... My son is really into Roman history right now so he was really looking forward to the palace. To his 7-year-old mind, there was no palace because he was completely unable to use his mind's eye to picture it.

We were lucky to be in Dubrovnik on days when there were only 1 boat at dock and because we were staying in D we got out and did a bunch of our sightseeing BEFORE the cruisers arrived. The walls were AWESOME with only about ten of us out there in the morning when it first opened. Be aware! FITNESS can be an issue. Mobility is very easy in Split compared with Dubrovnik! Dubrovnik IS a stairmaster!! I loved looking down from the walls into real people's gardens where they were just sitting on their terraces soaking up the sun (this was right during all the flooding in central Europe).

The choice was very easy for me (and for my husband and son, too!)

Thank you so much! That is so helpful! I really appreciate it! We've already decided that we'll have to train extensively for the walking and climbing involved in that vacation!

Armyfrau, that's not true. WHOLE palace is still there, it's wide, and it's the best preserved Roman ruin in the world. That's because people still live inside, they've never left. Diocletian palace is not just one house, it's the whole center of our city.

Past times:

14751.jpg&w=300&h=225&ei=UdbCUYmoEtD74QTo5oCwDA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:5,s:0,i:100&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=180&tbnw=233&start=0&ndsp=15&tx=115&ty=82

14751.jpg

Today:

dioklecijanova_palaca_001.jpg

Split-panorama.jpg&w=600&h=600&ei=UdbCUYmoEtD74QTo5oCwDA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:9,s:0,i:112&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=190&tbnw=184&start=0&ndsp=15&tx=69&ty=71

Not only that it has Zagorka and Tommo the best in laws in the world.

Scampi Buzara tonightimg005.jpg.01993717c6ae06328b733017cdd8a58f.jpg

Archived