Dubrovnik vs Split

Dubrovnik vs Split  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Dubrovnik vs Split

• Dubrovnik
    • Split

Just recently went to both Split and Dubrovnik. I enjoyed Split much more for the history of the place and being able to see and walk around the remains of a Roman Emperor's palace. (Although our guide was crap.)

While Dubrovnik had a pretty, medieval look about it -- very photogenic -- I found it to be touristy and crowded in the old city.

Just recently went to both Split and Dubrovnik. I enjoyed Split much more for the history of the place and being able to see and walk around the remains of a Roman Emperor's palace. (Although our guide was crap.)

While Dubrovnik had a pretty, medieval look about it -- very photogenic -- I found it to be touristy and crowded in the old city.

Thank you so much! That is very helpful! I really appreciate it! I certainly hope we don't get the same guide that you had!! ;)

I do. I prefer Dubrovnik and all other things being equal I would choose the cruise with that but if the itineraries are different I would look at the other ports as well.

Keith

Thanks again! As always, you are so helpful! Yes, everything else is exactly the same! For some reason, RCI Splendour OTS visits Split on the 5/24/14 cruise but Dubrovnik on the 9/28/14 cruise.

Here is a link to a thread which discussed this very question:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1720372&highlight=split

It offers a very good overview. For me, Split was my favourite, but Dubrovnik is wonderful too. I posted on the link above with my reasons!

Thank you! I guess I should have done a search first! I know better! Sorry!

since both GREAT,but if FORCED would pick Dubrovnik.But check out the tourist sites for both and see what YOU LIKE best.Everyone s different.;)

There is in fact a cruise that goes to both. However, then we would not get to Kotor or Argostoli. So unfortunately, we have to choose between Split and Dubrovnik. Thank you for your advice of Dubrovnik since I'm forcing you to pick! ;)

If you want the ultimate Mediterranean picture post card experience, go to Dubrovnik. I agree with cruisemom about the historical perspective and we are glad to have visited both ports a couple if times. But for you, I think you would like Dubrovnik best.

If you want the ultimate Mediterranean picture post card experience, go to Dubrovnik. I agree with cruisemom about the historical perspective and we are glad to have visited both ports a couple if times. But for you, I think you would like Dubrovnik best.

Thank you so much! I love how you know me so well that you know the right decisions for me! It's amazing that we've never met and don't know each other in real life! I can't thank you enough for all of your help!

Thank you so much! I love how you know me so well that you know the right decisions for me! It's amazing that we've never met and don't know each other in real life! I can't thank you enough for all of your help!

All I know is what you tell us. One of your first posts said you wanted to see the Greek Isles and Venice and that your husband was interested in Athens. Based on that and on other info on your interests you have given us, Dubrovnik fits more with the iconic Mediterranean images than Split. But it is interesting how many of the regulars get to "know" each other.

Check into how many ships will be in port, especially in Dubrovnik which can have several thousands of passengers a day. To me that would spoil the ambiance of Dubrovnik. That may be the deciding factor.

All I know is what you tell us. One of your first posts said you wanted to see the Greek Isles and Venice and that your husband was interested in Athens. Based on that and on other info on your interests you have given us, Dubrovnik fits more with the iconic Mediterranean images than Split. But it is interesting how many of the regulars get to "know" each other.

That's a good point. When this all started, we were only interested in the Greek isles. We had no interest in Turkey, Croatia, or Montenegro. But everyone kept saying how fabulous those ports are.

Check into how many ships will be in port, especially in Dubrovnik which can have several thousands of passengers a day. To me that would spoil the ambiance of Dubrovnik. That may be the deciding factor.

Interesting point. How would I check that? Although, I'm not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole. I'll start checking for all of our ports and worrying about that. I've already got enough factors to consider on my plate.

We're looking at the same cruise on two different dates. One date, it goes to Dubrovnik. The other date it goes to Split. Do you prefer one port over the other?

It's

v
Both are very good rather than superstar ports but everything else being equal I'd just give it to Split, because of the palace. All the best, Tony

Both are wonderful places worth spending several days as we did on a land tour. Both have scenery and ambiance. Both have history. Dubrovnik has more ambiance. Split has more history. These of course are my opinions and others may disagree.

You can check on ships in ports by searching for the web site of the particular port or by going to cruisetimetables or cruisett.

Both are wonderful places worth spending several days as we did on a land tour. Both have scenery and ambiance. Both have history. Dubrovnik has more ambiance. Split has more history. These of course are my opinions and others may disagree.

You can check on ships in ports by searching for the web site of the particular port or by going to cruisetimetables or cruisett.

Thank you! They both sound great!

Archived