Which pajamas do I pack? Summer, winter, or both?

allisons

If you absolutely must bring any, I'd say summer weight. No husband should be subjected to winter weight pjs. Ever. :D

But really, just bring what you like. Your stateroom will be at whatever temp you like, so why stress over summer/winter weight? No way on earth would I pack both. It's not going to be August one minute and December the next.

Thank you! And the same will be true at the hotels during our land portion?

Yep. I wear the same pajamas winter and summer and adjust the room temp if needed

I can't swing that. The fact that our house is always a constant temperature at night year-round doesn't matter at all. The temperature outside somehow affects me and controls what pajamas I need to wear. If it's warm outside, I must wear cool summer pajamas. If it's cool outside, I must wear warm winter pajamas.

I would consider what your husband plans to wear, or not wear. If you wear winter PJ's, and he wears none...one of you is going to be uncomfortable whether the thermostate is turned up, or turned down. :rolleyes:

That doesn't matter at all. He wears the same thing to bed every night. Boxer shorts and short-sleeved t-shirt. Whether I'm wearing cool summer pajamas or warm winter pajamas and booties. Regardless of the thermostat. We don't turn it up and down.

I can't sleep if I'm encumbered by any clothing. Adjust the heat or A/C in the room as needed and throw on extra blankets if necessary. If the dreaded call to muster should sound in the middle of the night, throw on a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt. Easy peasy. :)

I'm exactly the opposite. I can't sleep without pajamas on.

No disrespect intended, but I'm beginning to wonder if you're having a bit of a laugh...

Have you stayed in hotels before? If so, you'll know you can adjust the temperature as needed. If not, you're in for a big surprise because...you can adjust the temperature as needed. :rolleyes:

I've never heard of anyone who didn't know they could control the temp in a stateroom or a hotel room, so my apologies if you really, really, really didn't know that. :eek:

PS: If you know what pjs you MUST wear in different outdoor temps (regardless of the temp in your room ((huh????)) ), and you know you're going to Alaska where it's not going to be 80F, how is this still a question?

No disrespect intended, but I'm beginning to wonder if you're having a bit of a laugh...

Have you stayed in hotels before? If so, you'll know you can adjust the temperature as needed. If not, you're in for a big surprise because...you can adjust the temperature as needed. :rolleyes:

I've never heard of anyone who didn't know they could control the temp in a stateroom or a hotel room, so my apologies if you really, really, really didn't know that. :eek:

PS: If you know what pjs you MUST wear in different outdoor temps (regardless of the temp in your room ((huh????)) ), and you know you're going to Alaska where it's not going to be 80F, how is this still a question?

I know - I actually found the first inquiry humorous and now can't believe how long this thread has gone on....

Personally - while I do have winter and summer p.j.s - i can wear either all year long.

This sounds more like a psychological thing. Wear the winter weights. In fact, consider one of those whole-body things, since its...well...Alaska.

I agree. Make sure they have a butt flap though.

I will be taking at least one warm nightgown on the cruise. I hate being cold, makes it so I can't sleep.

I don't recall any problems with regulating the thermostat on the spirit cruise last year. But the march baja cruise on the Inspiration - the cabin was freezing. Could not make it warmer, I called engineering twice. The temp per their own digital gauge was 65 degrees. That may be fine for some but friend & I were freezing. I was so glad I brought a flannel nightgown.

Yes, this was a serious question. I'm sorry if it seems stupid to you. I've never traveled anywhere cold in the summer. I thought people who had experience traveling to Alaska could simply share their advice of which pajamas to pack.

I know - I actually found the first inquiry humorous and now can't believe how long this thread has gone on....

Personally - while I do have winter and summer p.j.s - i can wear either all year long.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize there were restrictions on what questions we could ask on these boards. I see all kinds of questions. I'm not sure why people who are so bothered by the question are responding. ?????

This sounds more like a psychological thing. Wear the winter weights. In fact, consider one of those whole-body things, since its...well...Alaska.

Perhaps it is psychological. I think I will take winter pajamas. I'm pretty freaked out about going to Alaska. I'm so scared that I'm going to be cold the whole time.

I will be taking at least one warm nightgown on the cruise. I hate being cold, makes it so I can't sleep.

I don't recall any problems with regulating the thermostat on the spirit cruise last year. But the march baja cruise on the Inspiration - the cabin was freezing. Could not make it warmer, I called engineering twice. The temp per their own digital gauge was 65 degrees. That may be fine for some but friend & I were freezing. I was so glad I brought a flannel nightgown.

I'm the exact same way! I can't stand being cold! I can't sleep! I would be miserable if I had a situation like that!

Believe me, we were miserable!

I think it was to do with being an old ship (fantasy class) and a large cabin. Back in november my son & I were in a tiny 1A cabin and the temperature was ok. This last time, friend & her little boy & I were in a grand suite. Maybe the temperature of the bodies in the rooms help heat it?

At the guest services desk I was told there is no heating system on the ship. I couldn't believe it, because I've cruised with carnival lots of time & had never had problems regulating the temp of the cabin. But they must know - all you can do is decrease the amount of A/C coming out. I've heard other complaints from people on this ship too about the cold cabins.

The cabin was plenty warm enough on my alaska cruise last year on the Spirit - but I'm not taking any chances. Warm night gown for me - I get cold easy.

Don't worry, it didn't upset me. I just can't for the life of me imagine this much drama over pjs. If you're that terrified, pack both kinds.

Still, you explain it when you say you're "pretty freaked out over going to Alaska". I think that pretty much explains it all.

It sound like you have no tolerance whatsoever for cold, but...well...it's going to be cold. It's Alaska. That's what thermostats are for.

Believe me, we were miserable!

I think it was to do with being an old ship (fantasy class) and a large cabin. Back in november my son & I were in a tiny 1A cabin and the temperature was ok. This last time, friend & her little boy & I were in a grand suite. Maybe the temperature of the bodies in the rooms help heat it?

At the guest services desk I was told there is no heating system on the ship. I couldn't believe it, because I've cruised with carnival lots of time & had never had problems regulating the temp of the cabin. But they must know - all you can do is decrease the amount of A/C coming out. I've heard other complaints from people on this ship too about the cold cabins.

The cabin was plenty warm enough on my alaska cruise last year on the Spirit - but I'm not taking any chances. Warm night gown for me - I get cold easy.

Oh! How dreadful! Yes, I'll definitely take winter pajamas! I would suffer if I was cold!

Don't worry, it didn't upset me. I just can't for the life of me imagine this much drama over pjs. If you're that terrified, pack both kinds.

Still, you explain it when you say you're "pretty freaked out over going to Alaska". I think that pretty much explains it all.

It sound like you have no tolerance whatsoever for cold, but...well...it's going to be cold. It's Alaska. That's what thermostats are for.

You're right. I have no tolerance for cold. I'm very excited about going to Alaska. But I'm not looking forward to the cold, wet weather.

You all talk like you are going to the north pole in the dead of winter. Yes, you are going to Alaska, but it's still summer. It may not be the ungodly 90-100 F that you are used to in summer, but that's a good thing! I'll admit that May and September can be cold, and that's part of the reason I don't go then. I've been mid-July to mid-August and for the most part, it's been in the 60s. Even when it drops into the 50s, that's not COLD, just cool enough to need a jacket. I've also experienced sunshine and 70-80+. Our honeymoon trip in 2009 is was around 80 in every port. Some people were so overly prepared for cold that they didn't have anything appropriate to wear. On our Yukon train/bus trip in Skagway, there was a woman on our tour wearing a turtleneck AND a pullover sweater. It had been warm for days, and it was 80+ that day. I don't know what she was thinking. She was miserable, and ended up taking off the turtleneck at Caribou Crossing, but she was still too hot.

If you are going mid-summer (not May/Sept) then it will likely never drop below freezing. It may drop into the 40s at night, and will probably be 50-60+ during the day. That may be cooler than you are used to in summer, but it's not that cold. Yes, glacier cruising can be colder, and I do take a hat and gloves for that, but I also take shorts and have worn them on every trip! :D

You all talk like you are going to the north pole in the dead of winter. Yes, you are going to Alaska, but it's still summer. It may not be the ungodly 90-100 F that you are used to in summer, but that's a good thing! I'll admit that May and September can be cold, and that's part of the reason I don't go then. I've been mid-July to mid-August and for the most part, it's been in the 60s. Even when it drops into the 50s, that's not COLD, just cool enough to need a jacket. I've also experienced sunshine and 70-80+. Our honeymoon trip in 2009 is was around 80 in every port. Some people were so overly prepared for cold that they didn't have anything appropriate to wear. On our Yukon train/bus trip in Skagway, there was a woman on our tour wearing a turtleneck AND a pullover sweater. It had been warm for days, and it was 80+ that day. I don't know what she was thinking. She was miserable, and ended up taking off the turtleneck at Caribou Crossing, but she was still too hot.

If you are going mid-summer (not May/Sept) then it will likely never drop below freezing. It may drop into the 40s at night, and will probably be 50-60+ during the day. That may be cooler than you are used to in summer, but it's not that cold. Yes, glacier cruising can be colder, and I do take a hat and gloves for that, but I also take shorts and have worn them on every trip! :D

That's helpful information. I guess it's frame of reference. I think we have clothes to be prepared for every sort of weather. To me 50-60 is quite cold, so I am hoping for 70-80!

She's going in late June, which can be chilly and rainy. But nope...it's no sub-arctic freeze! A lot of drama over a little difference in thread count. :rolleyes:

Oh no! Really?! I didn't realize that we were going when it can be chilly and rainy! I thought we'd picked an optimal time to go weather-wise! :(

You're not going during monsoon season, but yeah...it rains. And it gets chilly. It's ALASKA. :D

Do you have rain or chill where you live? If not, better start scotchguarding those pjs! But if it makes you feel any better, you're only likely to get around 6-7 inches of rain in June/July as opposed to nearly 20 in, say, September, so it's all good.

You're not going during monsoon season, but yeah...it rains. And it gets chilly. It's ALASKA. :D

Do you have rain or chill where you live? If not, better start scotchguarding those pjs! But if it makes you feel any better, you're only likely to get around 6-7 inches of rain in June/July as opposed to nearly 20 in, say, September, so it's all good.

It gets rainy/chilly here. But infrequently. And I am inside, so I'm not subjected to it. I'm not on vacation with outdoor adventure activities planned, layering on warm water resistent clothes and perservering through it.

Archived