Toddler proofing sofa bed on Carnival

Mrs CruisinCritter

Hello all! We will be on the Carnival Pride the day after my son turns 2. We will be converting his 4 in 1 crib over to a toddler bed this coming weekend and I've purchased a bed rail to attach to the open side to keep him from flopping out in his sleep. He has a tendency to fall asleep on one end of his bed and by morning he's facing the opposite direction at the opposite end of the bed.

I've read that some people turn the sofa bed around backward so their children don't roll out, but from my understanding, don't the back cushions on the sofa bed just rest there or are they attached? I'm trying to avoid bringing a bed rail if we can. Can anyone recommend a way to toddler proof the sofa bed or tell me if the back cushions are attached so turning it backward will work?

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I don't know if we will be able to carry a pool noodle on in our luggage, but I will definitely put that on our packing list and we will see how it goes. I'm considering packing the bed rail that we have that's made to fit a convertible crib, but I'm worried that it won't stay in place since it doesn't have an anchor where it's designed to bolt onto the metal mattress support on the crib. It breaks down into several pieces so we can line our luggage with the pieces and transport it easily. We have a couple of months so I'm sure we can figure something out.

Thank you again for the suggestions!

What about rolling up towels and putting them under the sheet? I am sure that your room steward could provide several extra towels. Rolled lengthwise, they would approximate the size of a pool noodle, but not require anything extra in the luggage. Blankets could also work for this purpose.

Sara

What about rolling up towels and putting them under the sheet? I am sure that your room steward could provide several extra towels. Rolled lengthwise, they would approximate the size of a pool noodle, but not require anything extra in the luggage. Blankets could also work for this purpose.

Sara

Good idea Sara :D

Pool noodle

Does a pool noodle really keep your child in? I'm worried about my 3.5 year old falling out of bed, and I don't think a noodle would keep her in there. I usually find her in the middle of the night with her legs hanging off the bed in the small space the rail doesn't reach for her, and she's managed to fall out that space a few times. She's Houdini. Friends have rec'd the pool noodle trick for traveling, but I haven't tried it yet because I just don't see it happening.

Does a pool noodle really keep your child in? I'm worried about my 3.5 year old falling out of bed, and I don't think a noodle would keep her in there. I usually find her in the middle of the night with her legs hanging off the bed in the small space the rail doesn't reach for her, and she's managed to fall out that space a few times. She's Houdini. Friends have rec'd the pool noodle trick for traveling, but I haven't tried it yet because I just don't see it happening.

How about trying it at home in a safer environment? At least if she falls out you're in your environment to take care of any bumps or bruises :)

Wow, that's actually a pretty good idea "if" you can pack it! LOL. I can just see myself on the plain explaining my carry on.

or ask for an extra blanket and roll it length wise and put it under the sheet and tuck the sheet in- makes a boundary/ridge but they can still roll over this or pool noodle if they are crazy sleepers :)

How about wait to transition out of crib & just leave in Pack N play for the vacation

We are purchasing the inflatable travel bed rails from One Step Ahead online. They stay in place under a fitted sheet. I hear they are amazing and easy to travel with. They also sell a toddler size air mattress with bumpers and it meets all the safety stuff so suffocation isn't an issue. Check out their site. Great stuff!

or ask for an extra blanket and roll it length wise and put it under the sheet and tuck the sheet in- makes a boundary/ridge but they can still roll over this or pool noodle if they are crazy sleepers :)

How about wait to transition out of crib & just leave in Pack N play for the vacation

:D My youngest grandchild is 2 so it's not a worry for me but I just thought it was a good idea. My DD used room service trays to put between the bed and the railing for her kids.

Archived