Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Hi Everyone!

I've been creepin' for a few months now but this is my first time posting. I've loved watching all of the hype about the QoS Newbuild process, so far. DH and I are hoping to cruise Q Fall '15. Thank you all so much for doing an incredible job tracking down all sort of awesome tidbits. I can't wait til Getaway gets her big behind out of here within the next month so we can really start to get excited about QoS coming together over the next year! :D

Here is the latest construction video for the Quantum: http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/

Keith

Thanks for posting. I was watching it and the video and sound were slowing down. Thought RCI would take it off the site to fix it! :eek:

Got a few screen prints of course. Will post later.

Edited by Lloyd555

Liking these earlier images of the 'base' of Two70 (or the stern of the ship) ...

QuantumaftbelowTwo70_1_zps404ae00b.png

Quantumaft_zps5458c8c5.png

QuantumaftbelowTwo70_zpsb3c579d6.png

.. which seems to be located on the deck at the far end next to the build, as we assumed. It is next to this block (the camera pans from this block to the 'base' of Two70) :

Quantumblockondeck1_zpsb6faa012.png

Glad to have an image of the end of the keel/blocks that we rarely see:

Quantumkeelendthatrarelysee_zpsbc5cb6a2.png

Screen captured images courtesy of Royal Caribbean (video). :D

Thanks for posting. I was watching it and the video and sound were slowing down. Thought RCI would take it off the site to fix it! :eek:

Got a few screen prints of course. Will post later.

Thanks for the screen shots. Their press release video is not current given that they posted recent pictures of 270 on their face book page a few days ago. Well, at least they are trying to show us more and that's good.

Guess where this is on board Quantum of the Seas?

I'll give you between two and 70 guesses. :D

Well, obviously that is my balcony cabin.

RC_101813_googleplus_zpsc0f4d5da.jpg

Photo courtesy Royal Caribbean

Liking these earlier images of the 'base' of Two70 (or the stern of the ship) ...

QuantumaftbelowTwo70_1_zps404ae00b.png

Glad to have an image of the end of the keel/blocks that we rarely see:

Quantumkeelendthatrarelysee_zpsbc5cb6a2.png

Screen captured images courtesy of Royal Caribbean (video).

Good video. Like that inside shot of Two70. Hope to see more like it. The last photo -- Is that actually the stern of the Quantum? They won't be adding any blocks/keel past it? there's no room to do so, and they can't lift the build to shift it over, right?!!

Thanks, Meyer Werft employee ...er... Adam ...er...Lloyd ;) !!

Edited by Tough as Leather
CC won't let me post all the photos! 6 max.

That's the block from Hall 5 (see posts 313 & 317) that was in front of the supposed SeaPlex roof. Would have liked to seen how they moved it.

I think you are right. I counted ten window/doors on the top deck before the bump out. The ones in the middle partially covered has two of those small windows which you can also see in the post you note above.

There is a lot of glass to be added to the Getaway!

It always amazes me how thin the steel is for the floors! I kind of wish RCI went with square edges on the doors/windows instead of having the curved edges although its really not that big of a deal.

There is a lot of glass to be added to the Getaway!

It always amazes me how thin the steel is for the floors! I kind of wish RCI went with square edges on the doors/windows instead of having the curved edges although its really not that big of a deal.

All the balconies start off like that. They will be standard square doors once they are fitted out.

All the balconies start off like that. They will be standard square doors once they are fitted out.

I wonder why they would do that , as they have gone to a lot of trouble with a Laser/WaterJet to cut them to that shape ???

Any ideas anyone to where this block goes ??

Norwegian Getaway set to float out in a week, on November 2 2013 at approx. 10.30 a.m.

http://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwerft_de/medien/wichtige_termine/wichtige_termine.jsp

Finally Quantum of the Seas will have Hall 6 to herself. Well, until Anthem blocks arrive.

And speaking of Quantum class ships, these are blocks on their way to Meyer Werft:

Edited by Lloyd555

Norwegian Getaway set to float out in a week, on November 2 2013 at approx. 10.30 a.m.

http://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwerft_de/medien/wichtige_termine/wichtige_termine.jsp

Finally Quantum of the Seas will have Hall 6 to herself. Well, until Anthem blocks arrive.

And speaking of Quantum class ships, these are blocks on their way to Meyer Werft:

Do you think that there is a live (NOT intermittent!) webcam for the event? Want to catch a glimpse of QoftheS a well.

I guess we have to say Quantum class blocks now. Not necessarily the Quantum of the Seas' parts, huh?

Do you think that there is a live (NOT intermittent!) webcam for the event? Want to catch a glimpse of QoftheS a well.

I guess we have to say Quantum class blocks now. Not necessarily the Quantum of the Seas' parts, huh?

Yup to question 1. It means being up bright and early at 4:00 - 4:30 a.m. next Saturday. Maybe I'll watch it from bed on the laptop!

Maybe(?) to question 2.

From Meyer Werft October 25 press release:

Float-out likely to start on 2 November 2013

On 2 November 2013 the 146,600-gt cruise ship Norwegian GETAWAY, whose construction has taken merely 12 months, will float out of MEYER WERFT's covered building dock II. Over the last few weeks the shipyard has been busy con-ducting extensive tests and machinery trials. The float-out of the ship, which is built for the US cruise operator Norwegian Cruise Line, will commence around 10.30 a.m. Following the float-out and more tests to be carried out in the harbour, the ship will be berthed alongside the yard's outfitting pier.

Delays in the time schedule due to weather conditions may occur.

With the ship being berthed at the yard's pier, the remaining work and tests and trials will be carried out in the next few days. Within merely a couple of days, the first crew members will move into their cabins on board, and familiarize themselves with the ship itself and its numerous systems. The Norwegian GETAWAY's conveyance down the river Ems towards the North Sea, where she will prove her seaworthiness, is scheduled for mid-November 2013.

The 146,600 gt cruise ship has a length overall of 324 m and is 39.70 m wide. Its construction complies with the latest safety standards, and the ship meets all valid environmental regulations.

The float-out will be broadcast via webcam on http://www.meyerwerft.com

Edited by Lloyd555

I wonder why they would do that , as they have gone to a lot of trouble with a Laser/WaterJet to cut them to that shape ???

Stress Corrosion Cracking. Basically, metals under stress are much more susceptible to corrosion within the metal, and that corrosion leads to cracks. A ship at sea is a very corrosive environment due to the salty spray you get everywhere. Sharp corners concentrate a lot of stress in a very small area, which makes the problem worse. Having rounded corners on the structural parts of the ship reduces these stress concentrations, making them less susceptible to corrosion and cracking. The parts they use to square off the openings aren't structural and therefore wouldn't be under nearly as much stress (and tiny cracks wouldn't be a big deal).

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

Remember my co-worker André. He sent me this brainstorm from work (I have the day off). He is proposing that the blocks seen in the lower inset photo are from the stern of the ship where the Ripcord is located. He thinks that we're seeing the base of the iFly ride on the right-most block. (Oh why did I put it on Pinterest for him to see?! :( )

Hmmm. Possible. Who knows. Now get back to work, André!

The inset photo was posted by Meyer Werft with their October 25 2013 press release about the NCL Getaway's float out on November 2 2013. I assume its recent.

blockplansternblocks_zps8d52d0e8.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555