Epic Western Med Review 5/26 -6/2

A little about us. I travelled with 3 of my 4 sons ages 22, 18 and 15. We live in Southwest Florida and have cruised 4 times with Carnival to the Caribbean. This would be our first cruise on Norwegian and also our first Mediterranean adventure.

Day 1 – Travel

We drove from our home to Miami, about a 2.5 – 3 hour drive, and easily found our offsite parking with Park Go Fly. They offered a good price and had pretty good reviews with Trip Advisor. They were quick and efficient and shuttled us to MIA. We arrived at the airport just after 11:00 am for what was supposed to be a 12:48 departure flight.

I had booked our flights with well in advance TAP Portugal since they had offered the best pricing. As can happen with international flights, the flight I originally booked changed- it must have not been selling quickly enough, and our new flights/connections were not as convenient as the original flight but they got us to our destination on the date we wanted to get there so we went with the flow. Our first connection out of Miami was on a United flight to Newark after which we connected with a TAP flight from Newark to Lisbon and finally a Portugalia flight from Lisbon to Barcelona.

The United flight was delayed due to “haze” in Newark and did not leave MIA until shortly after 2:00 pm making our connection tight to say the least (think OJ Simpson running through the airport) and we barely made our flight to Lisbon. We were then on a flight directly in front of a 2 year old that proceeded to scream and cry for 3 solid hours, literally. After a short layover in Lisbon, we finally got on our flight to Barcelona which was about an hour and a half. Needless to say, this was not a good experience on any level. But we and our luggage made it, for the most part, intact. One suitcase was pretty damaged in the many transfers but we felt blessed that it had actually arrived with us and with all of its contents. Props to TAP for getting 4 checked bags to their final destination with tight connections and 3 different airlines. Also props to TAP on their food service. The food was not only plentiful, it was excellent. I highly recommend the chicken and mashed potatoes and my boys highly recommend the meat pie. The seats are a bit slender but they did their best to make us comfortable on the long flight across the ocean. I did manage to get a few photos from the air as we approached Barcelona.

bth_DSCN1081_zpsc7fac841.jpg

bth_DSCN1083_zps5b516585.jpg

bth_DSCN1082_zps9608d4cb.jpg

We were to be met at the airport by a driver I had contracted through the apartment we had rented in Barcelona with Tendency Group. When looking for accommodation for my group, I found the Tendency apartments to be competitive with the local hotels and well situated in Barcelona and from the online photos they looked very spacious and far more comfortable for a family and I rented a one bedroom which sleeps 5 on Passeig de Gracia. The driver was not in the area designated for meeting at the airport, so I made a quick call to Tendency and they redirected him from the other terminal and we were quickly in the van and on our way. Having studied the map of Barcelona extensively prior to this trip (yes, I am OCD!) I quickly realized that the street he was dropping us off on was not the street I was told the apartment was on. He insisted this was it and we were greeted by an employee who explained that there was a problem with the other apartment so they had arranged for us to stay in the Splendom Suites. I was a bit concerned until I actually entered the apartment! What an upgrade!! We now had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite with a fully appointed kitchen with a washer AND a terrace!! We were only 3 blocks from Passeig de Gracia and in a wonderfully central location. I took a couple of photos of the kitchen, washer and terrace.

bth_DSCN1085_zpsdd1ef82d.jpg

bth_DSCN1088_zps2acde032.jpg

Having heard the best way to avoid jet lag is to immediately put yourself on the time of the country you are in, we set out walking to explore Barcelona. Not sure if it was how tired we were or if we misinterpreted the map but let’s just say we walked an awful lot and got well off track! We didn’t mind too much though and eventually wound up back on Passeig de Gracia and decided to visit Casa Mila. All I can say is wow! Definitely go there. It’s worth the price of admission and the lines were short. Here are some photos.

bth_DSCN1107_zps90239a3e.jpg

bth_DSCN1125_zps5612b665.jpg

bth_DSCN1129_zpsa26b24bd.jpg

Needless to say, we slept well that night! The next morning we got up and headed for the train station to go to Montserrat. I had decided early on that this was a “must see” for me and I was so right! While it is a bit intimidating at first, the train to Montserrat really is easy to navigate. Just get to the main train station at espanya and on the street level you will see a large sign saying Montserrat with an arrow pointing down at the stairs you use to get down to the proper train area. Once down there you will find a counter with an employee who will help you choose the train combination you prefer and then will direct you to a machine to make your purchase. There are people there to help you as well, just make sure you have a card with a PIN as this is all these machines will accept.

The train ride was pleasant and comfortable and we arrived at the Montserrat station where we transferred to the Cremallera that takes you to the Monastery. Spectacular, breathtaking, photos do not do it justice.

bth_DSCN1135_zpscd3d27f6.jpg

bth_DSCN1171_zps21d2bb2e.jpg

I will have to add more Montserrat photos tomorrow, having trouble with the upload to Photobucket.

Once at the Monastery you can then take the funicular further up the mountain, and if you so choose can follow the trails to the top of the mountain. One of my sons chose to stay at the monastery after seeing the rather steep incline the funicular takes. So I “pulled up my man pants” and got on with my other two sons. I am not a heights person. Once up the funicular there are trails all the way up to the top of the mountain. I questioned my decision to come as far as I did almost immediately and practically hugged the side of the mountain as my boys continued onward and upward. I turned around to go back down but then decided I couldn’t leave them up there and followed. Needless to say, when the trail became “stairs” carved into the side of the mountain and a rope “handrail”, I tucked myself into a cave and waited. The views are incomparable, but this trail is not for the faint of heart. Once done climbing the mountain, the boys and I returned to the monastery and my other son took us along the nature trail he had found while we were gone. It too was beautiful. Plan to spend the majority of your day at Montserrat if you go.

th_DSCN1164_zps4832cf2f.jpg

My family was on that cruise as well. I hope to write a review in the next couple of days. Can't wait to read about departing Marseilles and the 70kt winds and rough seas down to Palma.

My family was on that cruise as well. I hope to write a review in the next couple of days. Can't wait to read about departing Marseilles and the 70kt winds and rough seas down to Palma.

For us it was the night when we should have docked in Livorno and the travelling to Marseilles that were rough.

Or did I really have that much to drink?

Livorno was rough as well. I was watching the ship tracker both days and the winds were definitely stronger going to Palma. I was looking at 50 kts on the approach/abort into Livorno. I have pictures of the ship tracker showing 70kts to Palma. The spotlights were scanning the seas that night from the bridge. The ship was even slightly tilited up wind I presume to protect the life boats. Excellent cruise. The wi-fi package really is nothing more than hi seas extortion. $100 for 250 minutes with sloooooow page loads. It should be unlimited like RCCL.

Hi,

I will do the same itinerary latter in August, so I want to know everything about your cruise.

Thanks for sharing.

Rui

P.S. I’m glad you like “our”(Portuguese!) TAP. They aren’t the best airline in the world but must of the time they are very nice and do a great job.

Livorno was rough as well. I was watching the ship tracker both days and the winds were definitely stronger going to Palma. I was looking at 50 kts on the approach/abort into Livorno. I have pictures of the ship tracker showing 70kts to Palma. The spotlights were scanning the seas that night from the bridge. The ship was even slightly tilited up wind I presume to protect the life boats. Excellent cruise. The wi-fi package really is nothing more than hi seas extortion. $100 for 250 minutes with sloooooow page loads. It should be unlimited like RCCL.

Wow, I must have had far too much to drink then. I remember it being a bit blowy, but nothing like as windy or rough as the Livorno to Marseilles day.

No wonder no two reviews are the same. We can't even agree on the weather. :)

Still having issues uploading photos from Montserrat. I should say we spend 3 days pre-cruise in Barcelona, which was our embarkation port and fell absolutely in love with that city. :D

I will try to get some more photos up tonight.

Edited by BaseballMomof4

Hi,

I will do the same itinerary latter in August, so I want to know everything about your cruise.

Thanks for sharing.

Rui

P.S. I’m glad you like “our”(Portuguese!) TAP. They aren’t the best airline in the world but must of the time they are very nice and do a great job.

TAP did a great job. They were on schedule (unlike United :mad:) and I have to say I was pretty impressed that our luggage was right there when we got to Barcelona after 3 flights on 3 different airlines with some pretty close connections!

Now your airport is a whole nother story! :p I have never stood in more lines for passport checks/customs checks just to get to my gate ever before! :eek: We went through 5 separate winding lines just to get to our gate and get on the plane. Holy cow that must be the safest airport in Europe!

Hehehe!!!! We are used to that.

We tend to complicate what normally is simple. I live in the north of country, in Oporto and here we are more friendly and practical.

I will be one of yours followers in this thread looking for good tips

You are doing a great job on the review! We were on the cruise with you, just unable to make the M&G. I saw a woman and two college age sons in the elevator one evening and I so wanted to ask if she was "Baseballmomof4"! In my mind it was you! I hope you had a blast! We had a ton of fun in the Haven, I just have not had time to write a review yet!:)

Still having issues uploading photos from Montserrat. I should say we spend 3 days pre-cruise in Barcelona, which was our embarkation port and fell absolutely in love with that city. :D

We also loved Barcelona! We were there 2 days and it was amazing! I could spend 1 week there easily!

Hi,

Thanks for sharing.

Rui

Riu,

What week in August? We will also be on the epic in August.

Enjoying this review very much!

Riu,

What week in August? We will also be on the epic in August.

Enjoying this review very much!

I'm pretty sure the same week as me, Aug 25th.

But i could also be completely wrong :D

You are doing a great job on the review! We were on the cruise with you, just unable to make the M&G. I saw a woman and two college age sons in the elevator one evening and I so wanted to ask if she was "Baseballmomof4"! In my mind it was you! I hope you had a blast! We had a ton of fun in the Haven, I just have not had time to write a review yet!:)

Oh, so you probably got a pool chair! :p

Color me green with envy! :cool:

Ok, so I have like 50 photos at Montserrat but I think it's probably time to move on!

The train schedules are simple to follow to return to Barcelona and we were back in the city in what felt like no time. I had pre-purchased tickets to the aquarium online and we decided to go there after a quick stop at the apartment to freshen up. The online tickets are great because they do not require you to choose a specific date or time and I recommend buying them. The aquarium was a great choice – what a beautiful place and we also enjoyed the waterfront area and wound up heading over to Moll of Barcelona after we had toured the aquarium.

DSCN1193_zps7957003d.jpg

DSCN1192_zpsaa61956b.jpg

The next day was our day to hang out in the city and was to begin at 10:00 am with my pre-purchased tickets for Sagrada Familia. Don’t even try to go there without purchasing tickets ahead. We walked passed hundreds in line with our tickets and all of my boys said that if we did not have them, they would never have stood for hours in that line. Even though it might be less than convenient to choose a day and time to visit before you even leave home, it is well worth it in the long run. Again, breathtaking.

DSCN1200_zpsc4803d8c.jpgDSCN1196_zpsb2be0250.jpg

DSCN1195_zps1138a9ff.jpg

After Sagrada Familia, we went to Parc Guell. This is gorgeous, but again there are some heights! With those heights come the benefits of some magnificent views of the city. A little hint for visiting Parc Guell, unless you are a power walker - take a cab! It sits atop a very steep incline. Totally worth the 5 euro to take that cab.

DSCN1251_zps95d4e20e.jpg

DSCN1250_zpsd7e58a59.jpg

DSCN1242_zps94889453.jpg

Yes, I am hanging on for dear life here.....this cross is pretty darn high...