Westerdam Question About Iron On Westerdam

hpeabody

I know this is probably silly to some of you. I am aware that there are no self service laundry facilities on the Vista class ships. I have also read that if you attempt to board with your own iron it will be confiscated. My question is, will the steward bring you an iron and ironing board to use, or will we have to wear wrinkled clothes. I won't be sending a couple pieces of clothing that may need "freshening up" to the ships laundry. I have never been on a ship without laundry facilities. What were they thinking when they designed these ships? :)

There are no irons for guests use on the Vista and Signature Class ships. If you want something pressed, you have to send it out. The cost really is quite reasonable, the service is fast and they do a very good job.

I understand, OP, you said you would not be sending things out and you likely won't need to depending how you pack. Try using dry cleaner bags over and between your clothes and you may find they don't wrinkle. Though pressing is no added cost for us (5 Star Mariner), I almost never need anything ironed except for things I have fully laundered or dry cleaned.

I know this is probably silly to some of you. I am aware that there are no self service laundry facilities on the Vista class ships. I have also read that if you attempt to board with your own iron it will be confiscated. My question is, will the steward bring you an iron and ironing board to use, or will we have to wear wrinkled clothes. I won't be sending a couple pieces of clothing that may need "freshening up" to the ships laundry. I have never been on a ship without laundry facilities. What were they thinking when they designed these ships? :)

When the Vista and Signature ships were built, HAL intended them to be just 7 day cruises and figured that people would only be gone from home for 7 days and really didn't need to get laundry done or have clothes pressed.

HAL never figured that some people would be staying at hotels pre-cruise.

And then HAL forgot that these ships would eventually be doing 2 different itineraries in the Caribbean and once they left the Caribbean, some of them would be doing cruises longer than 7 days.

After people complained about no laundries when the Zuiderdam came out, you would have thought that Seattle would have listened to the passengers -- NOPE. The other ships were also built without the self-service laundries.

One thing that HAL did listen to -- lack of public restrooms on the Zuiderdam -- there were just a couple -- none near the dining room. Extra restrooms were added to the Zuiderdam and the other ships arrived with them.

Self service laundries take up space. Space is precious on cruise ships. Those launderette spaces make room for more cabins AND provide for more people to send laundry/pressing out to be done and pay for it.

Revenue, revenue, revenue......

Self service laundries take up space. ...

Not only that, they're filled with machines that are periodically in need of repair or replacement - costs instead of revenue.

Self service laundries take up space. Space is precious on cruise ships. Those launderette spaces make room for more cabins AND provide for more people to send laundry/pressing out to be done and pay for it.

That is exactly what the HD on the Westerdam told me last year. A self-service laundry takes up the space of two cabins...that's 700 per diem days a year plus on-board spending.

It IS all about the money!

IIRC ... the 7-day unlimited laundry package is around $50. (I'm sure someone on CC has a price list.):)

This makes for lighter packing and more vacation time for all those great Alaska views.:)

Of course, if you are in a Neptune Suite, it (laundry, dry cleaning, pressing) is all included anyway.

I don't have the exact prices but pressing only really is not terribly pricey. To have a dress pressed, likely is around $3 - $4. I realize pricey is relative to each of us individually but if you want a service, it has to be paid for.

Archived