Any Edinburgh / Leith / Rosyth questions, let me know.

Thanks very much for the info on this thread. We will be on Ocean Princess, docking at Rosyth on 12th August. We will use the shuttle to Inverkeithing station and the train to Waverley. The one thing I would like to do is to visit Britannia, having done a Hoho in Edinburgh in the past we may just use the local bus service to Leith. I just hope the shuttle is not too costly.

Does anyone know if Princess charge for the buses?

I am not sure if Princess charge for the shuttles however, there is a hoho bus which leaves Waverley bridge and takes you to the Britannia. This is called the Majestic tour and the buses are a blue and yellow colour. They also go via the Royal Botanic Gardens and the Palace of Holyrood House. If you don't want to use the Ho Ho bus, the local bus number 22 is the quickest way to get from central Edinburgh down to the Ocean Terminal where the Britannia is. You need the correct fare for this bus though I.e. they won't give you change.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

ricki,

The bus fare in Edinburgh is £1.50 each way. The #22 bus leaves from Princes Street. If you take the escalators up from the station, you will see the stops in front of you, on the other side of the road. The 36 bus also goes to Ocean Terminal, and you can pick it up at the bus-stop on Waverley Bridge, where the hoho buses leave from. You get to Waverley Bridge by going up the ramp from the station.

I should warn you that Waverley Station is undergoing a huge refurbishment and so there are various diversions round the place - or there were on Saturday when I was there! Did you know that on the train line you are using to get into town, there are 3 stations? Make sure you get off at Edinburgh Waverley, which is right in the city centre.

Sure you'll love Edinburgh.

ricki,

The bus fare in Edinburgh is £1.50 each way. The #22 bus leaves from Princes Street. If you take the escalators up from the station, you will see the stops in front of you, on the other side of the road. The 36 bus also goes to Ocean Terminal, and you can pick it up at the bus-stop on Waverley Bridge, where the hoho buses leave from. You get to Waverley Bridge by going up the ramp from the station.

I should warn you that Waverley Station is undergoing a huge refurbishment and so there are various diversions round the place - or there were on Saturday when I was there! Did you know that on the train line you are using to get into town, there are 3 stations? Make sure you get off at Edinburgh Waverley, which is right in the city centre.

Sure you'll love Edinburgh.

Thank you for your heads up and for the bus prices. I appreciate you taking the time to post.

Ricki

Hi gstewart,

Is it a good idea to buy tickets from home for the hop on hop off bus? Just wondering what kind of lines there will be. I will be on crutches so the easier the better. I think we will catch a cab from Rosyth, it won't be so much walking. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your information!!!!;)

Hi gstewart,

Is it a good idea to buy tickets from home for the hop on hop off bus? Just wondering what kind of lines there will be. I will be on crutches so the easier the better. I think we will catch a cab from Rosyth, it won't be so much walking. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your information!!!!;)

There are plenty ticket sellers for the hoho bus so there won't be lines. You will also be able to chat to the ticket sellers and ask their advice etc.

The train shouldn't be too bad for a person on crutches. There are elevators in the station which will limit your walking however a taxi would take you straight to Waverley bridge where the tours leave from.

Hi Gstewart,

We're looking to go to Edinburgh on the train from South Queensferry cruise port. Can you give directions? How long would this trip take? Are the sites walkable once we get there?

Barbara

Barbara

It's very easy to get to the station from the port. When you get off the tender, you will see the Hawes Inn in front of you (mentioned in RL Stevenson's book - "Kidnapped"). Turn left up the road for about 50 yards. Cross the road at the end of the Hawes Inn Car park. There is a small opening which takes you up the steps which lead to the station and there is a sign at the bottom for 'Dalmeny Station' so you can't miss it. Very easy to find it.

Have fun!

Hi Gstewart,

We're looking to go to Edinburgh on the train from South Queensferry cruise port. Can you give directions? How long would this trip take? Are the sites walkable once we get there?

Barbara

Hi, I did this last month. The train trip is approx. 20 minutes. You can buy your return ticket at the automated kiosk at the station, using your credit card. Cross over to the other side of the tracks (there is an overpass). When you reach Edinburgh and leave the station, the old town is very compact, and very walkable. We walked to the castle first (pre-purchased tickets online) and took a free tour available from a castle guide.

We will be on the Ocean Princess docking in Rosyth on the 24th. My hope is to go to Holyrood Palace then walk up the Royal Mile to the Castle. We have Tattoo tickets that night. My wife will be in a wheelchair. Looking at some YouTube videos it appears that the walk is up hill most if not all the way. Is that correct? Would I be better off to get a taxi an have them drive us up most of the way?

Cheers

Good Morning,

Thanks for providing information on Edinburgh.

We will be docking in Leith 19 JUL till the 21 JUL on the Azamara Quest. Can you recommend any restaurants in the port area?

We will be taking the golflink from Waverley Station to Derm to attend The Open on Saturday. I have bought anytime tickets...hope it will all work out.

Looking forward to visiting your beautiful city.

Kathy

Hi -

We'll be stopping in Edinburgh the end of July on the Oceania Marina. We understand there are several HOHO bus companies. In your opinion, is one superior to others? And we prefer a live tour guide rather than using recorded head sets.

Harry and Carol

We will be on the Ocean Princess docking in Rosyth on the 24th. My hope is to go to Holyrood Palace then walk up the Royal Mile to the Castle. We have Tattoo tickets that night. My wife will be in a wheelchair. Looking at some YouTube videos it appears that the walk is up hill most if not all the way. Is that correct? Would I be better off to get a taxi an have them drive us up most of the way?

Cheers

Hi there

Yes it's a actually just over a mile up to the castle from Holyrood. This is a scots mile. The name - The Royal Mile and a bit wouldn't have sounded to great though.

You could get a taxi or buy a ticket for the HoHo bus which will take you around the city. The ticket lasts 24 hours from the time of purchase.

G

Good Morning,

We will be docking in Leith 19 JUL till the 21 JUL on the Azamara Quest. Can you recommend any restaurants in the port area?

We will be taking the golflink from Waverley Station to Derm to attend The Open on Saturday. I have bought anytime tickets...hope it will all work out.

Kathy

You will love heading down to The Open. There are restaurants in the Ocean Terminal next to where your ship docks in Leith. There is also a very nice Indian restaurant called Britannia Spice which is just outside the port.

Hi -

We'll be stopping in Edinburgh the end of July on the Oceania Marina. We understand there are several HOHO bus companies. In your opinion, is one superior to others? And we prefer a live tour guide rather than using recorded head sets.

Harry and Carol

All the hoho companies are owned by Lothian Buses who run the city's bus network. They all offer different things. You can get a grand tour ticket which covers all of them.

The city sightseeing bus (red) is a recorded commentary and looks at the old and new town;

The Edinburgh tour (green) is a live guide and looks at the old town and new town;

The mac tour is a vintage bus with live guide looking at the old town; and

The majestic tour looks at the new town, royal botanic gardens and down to the Firth of Forth to see the Royal Yacht Britannia. It is a recorded commentary also.

G

Good Morning,

Kathy

Kathy,

As far as restaurants in Leith, we really like The Kitchin which is close to the port on Commercial Quay, Commercial Street, or Martin Wishart on The Shore. Both have Michelin stars so obviously more expensive than anything in Ocean Terminal which is more fast food in a shopping centre. There's also a very popular seafood restaurant called The Ship on The Shore again a very short distance from the port.

Sure the train will be fine, but just watch out for all the construction work on Waverley Station.

We haven't cruised with Azamara yet. Would you recommend?

Thanks for the replies.....I was looking at the Kitchin....but per their website there are no reservations available when we will be there. I will check out Martin Wishart.

I would recomend Azamara, I love the size of the ship , long port stays, tips are included and a conservational included drinks package (at least on the AZ board anyway) which includes standard spirits. No formal nights and you can dine when you want. The main drawback is the smallest bathroom, but usable ,in the veranda cabins.

Plus our Celebrity points transferred to the AZ loyalty program.

Looking forward to attending The Open and visiting Edinburgh.

Kathy

Thanks for the info about Azamara. We like to try different lines and that's definitely on our list.

I'd try ringing The kitchin for a booking and check. We ate at The Kitchin's partner restaurant last week - Castle Terrace. It was lovely and is near the castle if you wanted stay in town after doing your sightseeing or take a break at lunchtime. It's currently number 2 in Edinburgh restaurants on tripadvisor and hasn't been open very long. It also has a Michelin star and I can highly recommend it.

Thank You. Some more questions about transport from the port to Edinburgh -

1) Do you have a link to the train schedule?

2) When I was last there 8 years ago, the walk to the train was on an uneven incline. Is the walk there easy?

3) Which bus # goes to Waverly Station?

4) Does bus fare require exact change, coins only?

Harry and Carol

Travelling Fools

I'd be happy to help if you could say What kind of food do you like and what price range? There are lots of restaurants in that area. Also when will you be there? It might make a difference.

As far as tours are concerned, Edinburgh is a fairly compact city, with lots of the main sights walkable. To get your bearings you could certainly start with the green hoho tour mentioned previously which stops to pick up in Charlotte Square. It's the only one which covers the old and new town.

Travelling Fools

I'd be happy to help if you could say What kind of food do you like and what price range? There are lots of restaurants in that area. Also when will you be there? It might make a difference.

As far as tours are concerned, Edinburgh is a fairly compact city, with lots of the main sights walkable. To get your bearings you could certainly start with the green hoho tour mentioned previously which stops to pick up in Charlotte Square. It's the only one which covers the old and new town.

We enjoy all types of food .as for prices not McDonalds and not high class top restaurant so I would say around 10 to 20 pounds pp.

We will be there the second week of Sept.

Thanks