I reckon it's the politics/election!!

I am sure everybody is aware of the "collapse" of the Aussie Dollar over the last few weeks against the US Dollar?? BUT -- it has also collapsed a comparative amount against many other important currencies-- UKP, Euro -- even the NZD:eek:

Mostly from what I have read, I have heard experts thoughts that it is because the AUD was overvalued, or because the US economy is picking up???? -- or because people are not drinking enough tea in China.

Personally -- I reckon it's the current political hiatus in this country -- and, as I will not be travelling too far abroad in the near future (except for a couple of weeks in NZ next month), I am not perturbed by the current situation - this is speaking from my own personal and selfish viewpoint of course. Hopefully (for me) things will look up again after September.

Barry

I agree Barry and they need to get their act together by July as I have to make a sizeable payment for 2 cruises in US$. I almost paid early when it was at $1-05 and boy am I kicking myself now.

Having said that as we rae in the USA for a month in September/October your idea works too. :D

Not the election! Minning has switched into an export based phase with most investors being foreign they dont need to invest in the $AU.

We are heading for recession of sorts so best blame one political party over another.

I expect the $AU will reach US $0.89c in the future, after al this time last year it was $1.08AU and has slid down 13c so a slide of another 6c isnt that much.

In the scale of all things "Holiday" only getting $ 900US for $1000AU isnt a disaster given holidays only cost a few thousand so just a few hundred less to spend than when our currency was peaking:)

Saying this I am glad I am getting old because I started stuffing US Dollars in the materess for times like this:D:D:D

Talking politics:rolleyes:

Why does everyone except me seem to hate this government?

I have more expendable money than ever and so do many Australians judging by our recent jump in overseas tourism & cruising which cant be put down to a few hundred dollar saving per holiday due to the high $.

Anyone who has been on a cruise will know our borders cannot be protected from illegal asylum seekers by patrolling the sea borders with more ships or by turning away un seaworthy vessels.

I dont care if we have a national debt, all countries have a national debt?

What is the point of screwing a population dry to put the country in surplus if the surplus isnt used by the population when its needed?

I dont care which party is elected but seems to me that when we have a national surplus in the coffers I have less money to spend so less cruises.

When we have a national debt I have more money in my pocket so more cruises?

I am shallow but I am not stupid:)

Just to add, no Gallop poll has ever contacted me or anyone I know to ask which party they prefer?

You have more money 'cause you stopped smoking :D

This is not the place for politics IMHO.

I buy silver bullion with my smoking money;)

Trouble is my loft is beginning to bow under the weight and its a bit too lumpy to put in the mattress with the dollars :D

This is not the place for politics IMHO.

It is if the political issues pertain to cruising or the cruising community if not Bazzaws thread we are replying to would have been Zapped to "The Lounge" never to be seen again:)

I'm hoping the dollar holds on a little longer as we travel to the US in less than 3 months time.

Booked our cruises ages ago & paid for our airfare already when the dollar was high so at least we won't get pinched there.

I'm keeping an eye on it & may buy some US dollars for spending now rather than wait if it keeps heading South.

Regards political parties, we do OK regardless as we are people that don't qualify for any handouts anyway, we are self employed, no kids, not reliant on investments, pension etc. Both major political parties ignore us!:D

Interesting thoughts and comments here. Agree that we don't we get into "politics" on these boards. BUT, good questions for how the values of the various dollars are moving and will impact our upcoming cruises. This morning's Wall Street Journal shows the cost of an Aussie dollar at $0.9496.

We are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, doing the mid-cruise ship over-night trip to and in Queenstown and then stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back.

Appreciate the additional sharing, insights that have been expressed on these various boards. Always love learning more about this part of the fascinating world where we have not visited. Lots of travels in Europe, but never, yet, to Australia, NZ, China, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 132,145 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Talking politics:rolleyes:

Why does everyone except me seem to hate this government?

I have more expendable money than ever and so do many Australians judging by our recent jump in overseas tourism & cruising which cant be put down to a few hundred dollar saving per holiday due to the high $.

Anyone who has been on a cruise will know our borders cannot be protected from illegal asylum seekers by patrolling the sea borders with more ships or by turning away un seaworthy vessels.

I dont care if we have a national debt, all countries have a national debt?

What is the point of screwing a population dry to put the country in surplus if the surplus isnt used by the population when its needed?

I dont care which party is elected but seems to me that when we have a national surplus in the coffers I have less money to spend so less cruises.

When we have a national debt I have more money in my pocket so more cruises?

I am shallow but I am not stupid:)

Just to add, no Gallop poll has ever contacted me or anyone I know to ask which party they prefer?

I agree with you on all points here.

Btw, Australia's net debt is only 10% of gdp, amongst the lowest in the world.:)

Archived