Knossos from Aghios Nikolaos

Petoonya

Hoping to get some suggestions for for exploring Knossos (and other ancient sites?)from Ag Nik.

In port from 9am until 6pm. Would like to concentrate on Knossos and the archeological museum there. Primarily interested in ancient history (no beaches) but open to suggestions.

Toured with Lefteris a month ago from Chania and the day was a bit of a disappointment- different guide, itinerary not as planned etc. If there were a guarantee that he would be our guide would use him in a heartbeat. Any other tour operators? If we rent a car is it possible to hire a guide for Knossos?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

(Cruisemom?)

Sorry, I can't help with getting to Knossos from Aghios Nikolaos. I think it's the only remaining port in Crete I haven't stopped at!

If you can figure a way to get to Knossos, I can report that there are guides available for hire on site. However, I'm not sure you really need one. The site is not as large as I thought it would be, and there is a really excellent bookstore with maps and detailed guides. (I think you get a pretty decent booklet with your admission but you may have to actually ask for it.)

As I recall, things were well labeled in English.

If at all possible, get there early. The place is swarming with tour groups within an hour of opening. Another reason I think it is easier to go it alone is that you'll often find large groups waiting to access certain areas of the palace, whilst an individual or couple can duck in and out -- and possibly get closer to things.

I highly recommend also going to the Archaeological Museum. I'm not sure if they've finished their construction work -- when I went two years ago, the "best" pieces of the collection were on display in the ground floor of another building, but it was still well worth going. The original frescoes are outstanding (nothing like the rather cartoonish reproductions at the actual site.....)

Thanks once again Cruisemom. As usual your posts are pinpoint exactly what I need. Have a long wait, but wish you were on this cruise! October 29 2014 Ocean Princess-680 passengers :)

Stops at Itea too- will ask in a different post about Delphi.

The ship is only in Ag. Nikolaos from 9-6pm and we might rent a car. While it sounds like an easy drive, it's still an hour each way. I'd be overly optimistic thinking we'd have 4-5 hours at Knossos before having to head back to port. Is this enough time to cover the palace and museum at a relatively slow pace?

Archived