Case of Water and Soda on Freedom

Looking for recent updates of anyone that took a case of water or 12 pack of sodas on the Freedom of Seas - Trying to determine if we should pack the water in a duffle bag and check or just carry on in a rolling suitcase.

No lectures please - we do understand the water is safe to drink on the cruise and have purchased a soda package for our son.

Looking for recent updates of anyone that took a case of water or 12 pack of sodas on the Freedom of Seas - Trying to determine if we should pack the water in a duffle bag and check or just carry on in a rolling suitcase.

No lectures please - we do understand the water is safe to drink on the cruise and have purchased a soda package for our son.

Our case of water was refused by the porters as it was not packed and only had a luggage tag on it. Putting the water in a duffle bag would probably have been a good idea for us.

• 3 weeks later...

I was the one to originally ask the question - we were on the June 23 sailing of the Freedom. We packed a 15-pack of bottle water, 6-pack of can drinks, and 2 bottles of wine in a rolling duffle bag. We did NOT check this bag, we simply used it as our carry-on. The bag went straight through the scanner and no one even opened the bag! In the past, we have had someone at least unzip the bag and "shake" a bottle of water. My husband also had an additional 2 bottles of wine in a book bag that was also not opened.

On our January 2013 cruise on the Freedom, we put a factory shrink wrapped case of Zephyr Hills water in a duffle bag, with a luggage tag on it. We left the bag zipped up, but unlocked. The water was delivered to our cabin without any problem.

Eric

Thanks for the info unionville3 and Pomperaugrr. We usually check in a duffle bag with soda and water and have never had a problem. It's good to know that there is still a good chance that it will make it to our cabin.

Good to know. We are going on Freedom in a couple of weeks and were likely going to stop at the convenience store across the street from where we are staying the night before to pickup some juice and/or water for the three year old. Will have to pack the duffle and an extra luggage tag just in case. Better to get it there than fly with it.

Experience seems to show that's it's safer to carry it on. Then if there are any questions you only have to open it and show them. If you check it and they have any questions, you will be off to the naughty room.

Of course many (or even most) people check them with success, but the exception does not disprove the rule. It's a tradeoff of hauling around a case of water until your room is ready versus the chance of having to wait in line in the naughty room.

On our April FOS cruise I saw many people carrying on soda and cases of water. There didn't seem to be a problem with it. We brought our allowed wine and a case of Monster drinks for hubby in a duffle bag, again no problem.

I was on FOS in May. I packed a small rolling cooler with an 8-pack of water and an 8-pack of Dr. Pepper. I did not put ice in the cooler. The security personnel asked if I had ice in the cooler and when I said no, he just picked it up and sent it through the scanner. I asked our room attendant to keep it full of ice for us and he filled it everyday. There was a family behind us that had 3 cases of water that they were carrying on with them. I have heard that during spring break, they are more strict about what you carry on the ship with you.

Archived