Freedom OTS Western Compass & Docs located here (89 pages!)

dfgf

What did you think of Labadee and Jamaica? Any recommendations?

Labadee is my favorite stop in the Western Caribbean. I've been there 5 times. On this trip I booked one of the private cabanas. HIGHLY recommend it. I've previously booked a kayak excursion and really liked that too. But like all other excursions through Royal Caribbean it's very expensive for what you get.

I used to really like Jamaica when the ships stopped in Ocho Rios. Now that they stop in Falmouth, not so much. Falmouth is like a Disney World version of Jamaica. You feel like you're walking through Epcot Center's World Showcase. It's a very, very nice port and I recommend at least getting off the ship and wandering around.

If you've never been to Jamaica I recommend using Peat Taylor Tours. My past two times in Falmouth I've hired a private driver through them and was very pleased with our tour.

How far is the walk from the ship to the shopping area?

Assuming you mean the stop in Falmouth, Jamaica? It's literally right at the ship. Royal Caribbean partially owns the shopping area / port, so the only people in the shopping area are ship passengers (from Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships - there can be up to 2 ships there at a time) and vendors.

At the edge of the port is a guarded fence. On the other side is the REAL Jamaica. A bit chaotic, run-down and hectic compared to the fake Jamaica that Royal Caribbean has created for us. As a cruise ship passenger you can enter and exit the port as you like.

Why do you highly recommend the cabana in labadee?

It's peaceful, quiet, you have a dedicated cabana server. It includes bottled water (saves you money), towels (you don't have to carry yours off the ship or take wet ones back onto the ship), you have either shade or sun at any time rather than having to find a new beach chair. The chairs are much more comfortable. There's a constant breeze thanks to the ceiling fan. You have couches in addition to the lounge chairs (which are much nicer than the loungers on the rest of the island). You have access to an upgraded buffet (available only to Suite guests and guests who are in a cabana), plus access to the Suites-only beach - Barefoot Beach (it's much less crowded). Includes floaty mats for everyone in your group (saves about $15 a person - I'm guessing at the price.)

Thank you so very much for taking the time on doing this. Catching up on such an updated Compass made for very good reading. I'm sailing on the Freedom come October 13-20,2013. Being Diamond members, we're sailing w/ dear friends of ours, in which this is their first time ever cruising. The last sailing for us was on the Oasis of the Seas. This will be our first sailing on the Freedom. I've heard nothing but praise for this ship from friends who have sailed on the Freedom already. So we're all pretty much excited and can't wait. Again thanks, I did take some notes.....:cool:

Thank you so very much for taking the time on doing this. Catching up on such an updated Compass made for very good reading. I'm sailing on the Freedom come October 13-20,2013. Being Diamond members, we're sailing w/ dear friends of ours, in which this is their first time ever cruising. The last sailing for us was on the Oasis of the Seas. This will be our first sailing on the Freedom. I've heard nothing but praise for this ship from friends who have sailed on the Freedom already. So we're all pretty much excited and can't wait. Again thanks, I did take some notes.....:cool:

The Freedom class is my favorite. I've been on Oasis and while I enjoyed it, for whatever reason I found that I enjoyed myself more on the Liberty and the Freedom.

I am just finishing up a very long detailed review of our Alaska Cruise Tour and the final thing I was going to do is upload all of the Cruise Compasses, Spa Menus, etc.

Could you explain to me how you did this so that the entire CC shows up as one post and not as individual pictures. For my review I uploaded my regular pictures to Photobucket then copied the image link for each picture that I inserted on Cruise Critic.

I know that I will need to scan each document but I'm lost after that. Where do I save it and how do I get it into my post?

Thanks so much for any help that you can provide.

Cindy

I am just finishing up a very long detailed review of our Alaska Cruise Tour and the final thing I was going to do is upload all of the Cruise Compasses, Spa Menus, etc.

Could you explain to me how you did this so that the entire CC shows up as one post and not as individual pictures. For my review I uploaded my regular pictures to Photobucket then copied the image link for each picture that I inserted on Cruise Critic.

I know that I will need to scan each document but I'm lost after that. Where do I save it and how do I get it into my post?

Thanks so much for any help that you can provide.

Cindy

Hi, Cindy. The trick is to scan the Cruise Compass as a picture, not a PDF file. So for a typical 4-day Compass I actually create 4 individual images. Then I link to all 4 of those images.

Thank you for posting all of this information! Since we may cruise FoS next July (Western), these are extremely helpful!

One question...Post #22 has the Fitness Schedule for the Eastern route. Is this from another cruise, or ???

Thank you for posting all of this information! Since we may cruise FoS next July (Western), these are extremely helpful!

One question...Post #22 has the Fitness Schedule for the Eastern route. Is this from another cruise, or ???

Ha - good catch! It's definitely from this cruise. I don't remember if it was dropped off in my stateroom or if I picked it up at Guest Services - more likely, I picked it up at guest services.

I prefer to use the gym on my own and not participate in classes, so I didn't notice that I had the wrong schedule. :o

It's peaceful, quiet, you have a dedicated cabana server. It includes bottled water (saves you money), towels (you don't have to carry yours off the ship or take wet ones back onto the ship), you have either shade or sun at any time rather than having to find a new beach chair. The chairs are much more comfortable. There's a constant breeze thanks to the ceiling fan. You have couches in addition to the lounge chairs (which are much nicer than the loungers on the rest of the island). You have access to an upgraded buffet (available only to Suite guests and guests who are in a cabana), plus access to the Suites-only beach - Barefoot Beach (it's much less crowded). Includes floaty mats for everyone in your group (saves about $15 a person - I'm guessing at the price.)

Dave is spot on with his review of the cabanas in Labadee. It always one of our favorite days in port. I wish RCI would consider making it an overnight stop to enjoy 2 full days there. :D

Edited by Annefran