Fly fishing without Fly-in - does anybody offer this?

Saving Up To Be Eccentric

I'm on a budget, but looking for someone who can spend a while showing us where to fly fish and who knows where to take our catch to send home the results. Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Matsu valley into denali, or fairbanks area. Not too keen on saltwater boating, or I'd've had this locked down weeks ago - and I don't want to spend nearly a thousand bucks to fly somewhere if there are uncrowded waters nearby.

Will you have your own gear? And I'm assuming you are proficient at flyfishing?

Which fish are you looking for, or do you care? Which dates will you be in the Mat-Su? Preference for lakes or running water?

Give a call to these guys: http://www.3riversflyandtackle.com/index.html

They're a wealth of information and always happy to help.

Personally, I'm pig-ignorant of fly-fishing. I've always been standard rod and reel, though not always real bait. My SO is the angler, and typically goes to a little place in upstate Colorado with the family on a fly fishing vacation every year. So at least one person is proficient and knows what the heck they're doing. The other knows when to confess complete and total ignorance and be taught. :) I'll pass on the link, though. I'm letting the people who actually fish talk to each other - I know when I'm over my head in this arena!

In Ketchikan, I booked a guided fly fishing trip with Hookupflyshop for July 28th. They pick you up and drop off at the pier. They provide fishing gear. Check their website, but I think its catch-and-release fishing.

In Ketchikan, I booked a guided fly fishing trip with Hookupflyshop for July 28th. They pick you up and drop off at the pier. They provide fishing gear. Check their website, but I think its catch-and-release fishing.

Bobkat,

Thank you so much, that's precisely the type of group I was looking to find! They're not immediately searchable that way, but here's hoping we can book them. :)

The email address is guide at hookupflyshop dot com. Cost is $275 per person for four hours of fishing. Because of limited time (the ship is there from 7 AM to 1:00 PM), my pick up is set for 7:30 AM with drop off at 12:30 PM. This is not a fly out fishing trip. Transportation is via guide's auto.

It was a few days after I sent my first email, before I heard back from them. After that, I had a reservation shortly thereafter.

Hope that helps ya'll.

I emailed Hook Up yesterday when I saw this oat and had an email waiting this morning....my husband is booking for our ketchikan day.....he's fly out fishing in Juneau.....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived